Topics

Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell

Brendan
 

I ordered a 4 to 34PF from jameco but I would like another option. I just tapped it and I lost the trace on the 468 I'm working on. Good news is I found a dead transistor on the timing board. Now I have to wait on a trimmer to see if it fixes my issue.

Bill Riches
 

Can you send me a pic of the trimmer you need and how much room is there to mount it?

73

Bill, WA2DVU

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of lop pol via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:23 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell

I ordered a 4 to 34PF from jameco but I would like another option. I just tapped it and I lost the trace on the 468 I'm working on. Good news is I found a dead transistor on the timing board. Now I have to wait on a trimmer to see if it fixes my issue.

Brendan
 

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 05:57 PM, Bill Riches wrote:


Can you send me a pic of the trimmer you need and how much room is there to
mount it?

73

Bill, WA2DVU

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of lop pol via
Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:23 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they
would like to sell

I ordered a 4 to 34PF from jameco but I would like another option. I just
tapped it and I lost the trace on the 468 I'm working on. Good news is I found
a dead transistor on the timing board. Now I have to wait on a trimmer to see
if it fixes my issue.


I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

 

I run into the same problem many times when restoring radios.

The original trimmers are simply not available

So, I order new modern SMD trimmers from Mouser, and simply solder legs onto them.

Works just fine.

Menahem

 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:14 AM, lop pol wrote:
Hi Lop Pol,

Re: Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell



I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Quite likely I have one NOS, possibly original. Cost is shipping from Netherlands. To be certain, please tell me which cap (C...) on which board.

Raymond

Brendan
 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 12:59 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:


On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:14 AM, lop pol wrote:
Hi Lop Pol,

Re: Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to
sell



I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Quite likely I have one NOS, possibly original. Cost is shipping from
Netherlands. To be certain, please tell me which cap (C...) on which board.

Raymond
The cap is C120 on the A13 board so its A13C120. Thanks for looking.

 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 10:05 PM, lop pol wrote:


The cap is C120 on the A13 board so its A13C120. Thanks for looking.
Just realized yours is a 468. It's probably the same as the equivalent cap in a 465(B). I'll be in the lab coming Tuesday and have a look, possibly take a few pictures. I can't imagine the "rotated-by-90 degrees same-function cap" in both models being different. The physical location definitely is but they both are the lying-down variety.
Please send me a PM on Tuesday as a reminder and we'll take our communication off-group.

Raymond

Michael A. Terrell
 

I recently bought one of these assortments to get several different values for a project. I haven't used any of them, so far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112638729469?epid=5003063441

Honbay-30pcs-6mm-Plastic-Cover-Trimmer-Variable-Capacitance-5PF-10PF-20PF-30PF/

Michael A. Terrell

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond>
Sent: Oct 25, 2018 3:59 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:14 AM, lop pol wrote:
Hi Lop Pol,

Re: Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell



I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Quite likely I have one NOS, possibly original. Cost is shipping from Netherlands. To be certain, please tell me which cap (C...) on which board.

Raymond


Brendan
 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 02:45 PM, Michael A. Terrell wrote:


I recently bought one of these assortments to get several different values for
a project. I haven't used any of them, so far:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112638729469?epid=5003063441

Honbay-30pcs-6mm-Plastic-Cover-Trimmer-Variable-Capacitance-5PF-10PF-20PF-30PF/

Michael A. Terrell


-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond>
Sent: Oct 25, 2018 3:59 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer
they would like to sell

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:14 AM, lop pol wrote:
Hi Lop Pol,

Re: Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to
sell



I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0
Quite likely I have one NOS, possibly original. Cost is shipping from
Netherlands. To be certain, please tell me which cap (C...) on which board.

Raymond


Looking at the part number it looks like its an air dielectric trimmer. Its the trimmer for the A ramp 10us timing :/ am I going to run into issues trying to use a ceramic trimmer there compared to air? The one I have coming from Tedss is a Vishay film dielectric . I just hope someone here has a NOS or used OS. One of the ones on they way will at least work until I can get a better suited replacement.. I hope. One member here is going to look at what he has on Tuesday.

Gary Appel
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Domp Frank
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:59 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:14 AM, lop pol wrote:
Hi Lop Pol,

Re: Anyone have a 5.5 to 18PF variable ceramic trimmer they would like to sell



I added a photo of the capacitor. Just in case.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/76822/0?p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:59 PM, lop pol wrote:


Its the trimmer for the A ramp 10us timing :/ am I going to run into issues
trying to use a ceramic trimmer there compared to air?
No issues to be expected at the frequencies involved. Any good-quality trimmer should do but you may prefer the looks and fit of an original...... As promised, I'll have a look on Tuesday but please, send me a PM if you haven't heard until 20.00 GMT.
If I'd have to send one from NL, shipment may be expensive, although it may be sent as a letter. Where would I have to send it to?

Raymond

Brendan
 

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:53 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:


On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:59 PM, lop pol wrote:


Its the trimmer for the A ramp 10us timing :/ am I going to run into issues
trying to use a ceramic trimmer there compared to air?
No issues to be expected at the frequencies involved. Any good-quality trimmer
should do but you may prefer the looks and fit of an original...... As
promised, I'll have a look on Tuesday but please, send me a PM if you haven't
heard until 20.00 GMT.
If I'd have to send one from NL, shipment may be expensive, although it may be
sent as a letter. Where would I have to send it to?

Raymond
Thanks for all the replies. The one in this link https://www.surplussales.com/Variables/Ceramic/CerCap3.html posted by Gary looks amazingly close. I'm going to see what else they have and make an order from them. Looks like an awesome site. Thank you for that. What I'm going to do it get the scope up and running with the trimmers that will be here tomorrow and then when the one from surplussales gets here I will put it in and calibrate the monster. Thanks guys.

 

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:53 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:


Its the trimmer for the A ramp 10us timing :/ am I going to run into issues
trying to use a ceramic trimmer there compared to air?
I just checked. I have several NOS of the exact same trimmer (ceramic dielectric) as used by Tek. As said, cost would be postage but shipment from NL.

Raymond

Brendan
 

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 07:37 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:


On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:53 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:


Its the trimmer for the A ramp 10us timing :/ am I going to run into issues
trying to use a ceramic trimmer there compared to air?
I just checked. I have several NOS of the exact same trimmer (ceramic
dielectric) as used by Tek. As said, cost would be postage but shipment from
NL.

Raymond
Thanks for looking. I don't think I'm going to be able to get this thing fixed though. I already spent money on new caps and bridge rectifiers and its still suffering the same issues. I'm very close to giving up and don't want to invest anything else unless I get it to a usable state. Jim Williams I am not.