From: "n4buq" <n4buq@knology.net>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2021 9:18:25 PM
Subject: [TekScopes] 24xx External Trigger?

Is it possible to use an external trigger input in the 24xx series scopes -
particularly a 2455 or 2465B - in the same way it can be done via the
EXTERNAL trigger input on a 465B?

I would like to use all four inputs to watch some strobed signals but the
trigger point isn't on any of the inputs but is at different point in time
(previous to the timing on the input signals).

Ideally, I would like to use the 465B to watch the primary strobe signal and
use the A Gate output to trigger the 2465B but unsure if this is possible
and thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

The 24xx scopes can trigger on any of the four inputs or the line frequency. There is no separate trigger input.

Use two scopes? two inputs on each and common trigger?

Regards

On 5/29/2021 10:18 PM, n4buq wrote:
Is it possible to use an external trigger input in the 24xx series scopes - particularly a 2455 or 2465B - in the same way it can be done via the EXTERNAL trigger input on a 465B?

I would like to use all four inputs to watch some strobed signals but the trigger point isn't on any of the inputs but is at different point in time (previous to the timing on the input signals).

Ideally, I would like to use the 465B to watch the primary strobe signal and use the A Gate output to trigger the 2465B but unsure if this is possible and thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

n4buq

I have a 453 that does have an EXT trigger so I could use the 453 and the 465B together with a common trigger. I didn't think of that. Thanks for the quick reply!

[...]

Gary Robert Bosworth

It is an essential function.

On Sat, May 29, 2021, 19:18 n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> wrote:

Is it possible to use an external trigger input in the 24xx series scopes
- particularly a 2455 or 2465B - in the same way it can be done via the
EXTERNAL trigger input on a 465B?

I would like to use all four inputs to watch some strobed signals but the
trigger point isn't on any of the inputs but is at different point in time
(previous to the timing on the input signals).

Ideally, I would like to use the 465B to watch the primary strobe signal
and use the A Gate output to trigger the 2465B but unsure if this is
possible and thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

John Gord

Barry,
If you are willing to modify your 2445, you could patch one of the rear panel BNC connectors to the Line trigger input of U500 (pin 28), with appropriate precautions, of course.
I don't know how fast that trigger input is if you skip the slow RC in the usual Line trigger path.

--John Gord

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 07:18 PM, n4buq wrote:

Is it possible to use an external trigger input in the 24xx series scopes -
particularly a 2455 or 2465B - in the same way it can be done via the EXTERNAL
trigger input on a 465B?

I would like to use all four inputs to watch some strobed signals but the
trigger point isn't on any of the inputs but is at different point in time
(previous to the timing on the input signals).

Ideally, I would like to use the 465B to watch the primary strobe signal and
use the A Gate output to trigger the 2465B but unsure if this is possible and
thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

n4buq

Hi John,

That's a possibility. I don't think, though, that I would want to modify the scope for this one little project but good to know that's something I could try.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ