Topics

2465 Fan Collet Thingy

Vince Vielhaber

Here ya go Chuck. https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust! They have stainless, iron and copper.

Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh! My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

What I see that says it is 3D printed brass, or aluminum, is in
actuality a slurry of brass flakes, or aluminum flakes, and some
organic (plastic) meltable binder. The brass or aluminum comes
to the surface in a way that makes it appear to be brass or aluminum,
but the strength is all plastic.

I read an article of a M1911A2 being entirely printed in steel, but
I never heard how they did that, only that they would happily sell
you one of their printed guns for $30K.... To help fund research,
of course.

I suppose something like a mig welder controlled by a 3D mechanism
would do something... but it would be brutally inefficient.

-Chuck Harris

Tom Gardner wrote:
I've no doubt you are correct.

When I stated "parts could be manufactured in brass or aluminium", I was thinking of
3D printing them. It would have helped if I had been more precise.

Sorry for the confusion.

On 10/11/19 13:20, Chuck Harris wrote:
I had several collets made from the Tom Jobe, etal prints that
are in the file section of this group, and they were made from
a single piece of brass rod... threaded section and all. They
worked perfectly.

Shapeways will "print" brass as a lost wax casting.  Their process is to print the wax on a 3D printer, then use lost wax casting to produce the part.  They don't give specs on the precision of their process however and I have not tried it.

Tom Gardner wrote:
I've no doubt you are correct.

When I stated "parts could be manufactured in brass or aluminium", I was thinking of
3D printing them. It would have helped if I had been more precise.

Sorry for the confusion.

On 10/11/19 13:20, Chuck Harris wrote:
I had several collets made from the Tom Jobe, etal prints that
are in the file section of this group, and they were made from
a single piece of brass rod... threaded section and all.  They
worked perfectly.

Chuck Harris

Very cool, but not useful as the strength of these composite
filaments is entirely in the plastic binder.

-Chuck Harris

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

Here ya go Chuck. https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust! They have stainless, iron and copper.

Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh! My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

EricJ

It's out there now, but it's not trickled down to the hobbyist level yet. May be a while.

https://gpiprototype.com/metal-3d-printing

--Eric

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
Here ya go Chuck.  https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust!  They have stainless,
iron and copper.

Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh!  My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

Dan Cordova <danny_cordov@...>

Anyone have a picture or engineering drawing of the "2465 Fan Collet Thingy?"

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 06:50:15 AM PST, EricJ via Groups.Io <wyzkydd2358=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

See also: https://youtu.be/da5IsmZZ-tw

--Eric

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
Here ya go Chuck.  https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust!  They have stainless,
iron and copper.

Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh!  My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

Renée

here you go...see attached
Renée

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
Here ya go Chuck.  https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust!  They have stainless,
iron and copper.
Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh!  My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

Chuck Harris

I have a CD stud welder that can weld a 3/8" threaded stud onto
a piece of heavy sheet metal without burning the paint on the
other side... takes about 5ms to do the weld. Clearly a much
smaller "weld" would take less time and less energy.

I have thought that using a CD method to fuse the stock metal onto
the part being made might be effective. The big problem is avoiding
fusing the feedstock metal to the electrode.

A pulsed laser to a bed of powdered metal granules is probably
an ideal way of avoiding that issue... and avoiding metal distortion
due to the heat of fusion.

-Chuck Harris

EricJ via Groups.Io wrote:

It's out there now, but it's not trickled down to the hobbyist level yet. May be a while.

https://gpiprototype.com/metal-3d-printing

--Eric

On Nov 11, 2019 8:09 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Very cool, but not useful as the strength of these composite
filaments is entirely in the plastic binder.

-Chuck Harris

Chuck Harris

It is in the files section of this group. Search "collet"

-Chuck Harris

Dan Cordova via Groups.Io wrote:

Anyone have a picture or engineering drawing of the "2465 Fan Collet Thingy?"

GerryR <totalautomation1@...>

I can't see any attachment. If you have the drawing, can you email to totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com. Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
Here ya go Chuck. https://www.micromark.com/search?keywords=filament

The magnetic iron filament will actually rust! They have stainless,
iron and copper.
Vince.

On 11/10/2019 09:22 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Hi Tom,

Ahh! My fervent wish is to be able to 3D print brass, aluminum,
or steel... But alas, that won't be for a while.

n4buq

Odd. I took a look at the drawing and it shows there are six slots. I don't have my collet in front of me, but I seem to recall it only having four slots. Not that it really matters, and I suppose six is really a better design, but thought it odd.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

It is in the files section of this group. Search "collet"

-Chuck Harris

Dan Cordova via Groups.Io wrote:
Anyone have a picture or engineering drawing of the "2465 Fan Collet
Thingy?"

Chuck Harris

Attachments are not allowed on this group.

The collet is in the files section. Log on to groups, and
search collet. It will come right up.

-Chuck Harris

GerryR wrote:

I can't see any attachment. If you have the drawing, can you email to
totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com. Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

Chuck Harris

When Tom Jobe and others were developing this,
they made a choice. A 6 jaw collet will hold the
shaft more concentrically than a 4 jaw would.

But don't let that discourage you. You can make
as many saw cuts as you wish. It is usually easier
if they are powers of two, as you can make a cut
completely through the diameter of the collet.

-Chuck Harris

Note to the others: I mention Tom's name because
it sticks in my feeble memory, not because I think
he was the only person involved in the effort. It
was a true group accomplishment, and all should be
acknowledged.

n4buq wrote:

Odd. I took a look at the drawing and it shows there are six slots. I don't have my collet in front of me, but I seem to recall it only having four slots. Not that it really matters, and I suppose six is really a better design, but thought it odd.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

It is in the files section of this group. Search "collet"

-Chuck Harris

Dan Cordova via Groups.Io wrote:
Anyone have a picture or engineering drawing of the "2465 Fan Collet
Thingy?"

Siggi

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM n4buq <n4buq@...> wrote:

Odd. I took a look at the drawing and it shows there are six slots. I
don't have my collet in front of me, but I seem to recall it only having
four slots. Not that it really matters, and I suppose six is really a
better design, but thought it odd.
The original plastic collet has four slots which are ~25thou wide, which go
only as far back as the tapered part of the collet. I think the intent with
that drawing is to be machined from aluminum or brass, where you'd want the
cuts to be deeper to get similar compliance as from the original plastic
part.

n4buq

Sigh. If only I had an engine lathe, a milling machine, a dividing head, slitting saws, and a nice length of aluminum or brass rod.

Of course, the max number of slots is also a factor of the ratio of the slot width to the hole diameter. Maybe they used thinner slitting saw for the six-slot version. Siggi's comment of metal vs. plastic is quite pertinent since more/deeper slots makes for less pull needed to tighten the collet - especially for metal collets.

Also, I think Tektronix modified the original impeller with a metal ring around the tapered end which, I'd think, would make them less likely to split over time. I don't think all impellers had that.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

It is in the files section of this group. Search "collet"

-Chuck Harris

Dan Cordova via Groups.Io wrote:
Anyone have a picture or engineering drawing of the "2465 Fan Collet
Thingy?"

Renée

I forgot....sorry
Renée

GerryR wrote:
I can't see any attachment. If you have the drawing, can you email to
totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com. Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

Dan Cordova <danny_cordov@...>

Anybody have photos or a drawing showing how this thingy is used in the 2465 fan?

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 8:29:44 AM PST, Renée <@rjdeeter> wrote:

I forgot....sorry
Renée

GerryR wrote:
I can't see any attachment.  If you have the drawing, can you email to
totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com.  Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

n4buq

While this page is more about repairing the motor, the first image shows the collet seated in the impeller and the motor shaft onto which it attaches:

https://jestineyong.com/tektronix-2465a-dv-oscilloscope-siemens-hall-effect-sensor-controlled-fan-motor-rebuild-part-1/

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Anybody have photos or a drawing showing how this thingy is used in the 2465
fan?

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 8:29:44 AM PST, Renée <@rjdeeter>
wrote:

I forgot....sorry
Renée

GerryR wrote:
I can't see any attachment.  If you have the drawing, can you email to
totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com.  Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

Dan Cordova <danny_cordov@...>

Okay, thanks!
Metal 3D printing would cost about as much as a good used o-scope is worth, and you would still need to manually thread the part.  But, I have an appreciation and respect that someone wants a museum quality machine, having built a live steam Shay Locomotive.
Anyone can take the drawing to a machine shop and have them fabricate a part from 303 stainless steel.  My guess would be it would take about 3-4 hours to make the part.  Best way to make the slots would be to use a wire EDM.  Not all machine shops have a wire EDM.  I know of machine shops around where I live that would charge about $35/hour.

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 9:20:27 AM PST, n4buq <n4buq@...> wrote:

While this page is more about repairing the motor, the first image shows the collet seated in the impeller and the motor shaft onto which it attaches:

https://jestineyong.com/tektronix-2465a-dv-oscilloscope-siemens-hall-effect-sensor-controlled-fan-motor-rebuild-part-1/

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Anybody have photos or a drawing showing how this thingy is used in the 2465
fan?

    On Monday, November 11, 2019, 8:29:44 AM PST, Renée <@rjdeeter>
    wrote:

  I forgot....sorry
Renée

GerryR wrote:
I can't see any attachment.  If you have the drawing, can you email to
totalautomation1 at gee mail dot com.  Thank you.

GerryR
KK4GER

GerryR <totalautomation1@...>

I'm pretty sure that the slots can be done, too, but from the drawing, it looks like the part is a perfect candidate for a Swiss Screw Machine. If I was to make this part, I actually would try making it in two pieces, the main body and I would insert a threaded stud into the base, thereby giving threads all the way up to the body and not having to thread it on the lathe. Loctite on the approximately 4 threads in the body would hold it. Any reason it can't be made from steel; brass would be fine, as well, but aluminum might be a little fragile for my liking. Just a thought.