Topics

2430 Self Test 9000 Trigs FAIL

Mike Harmon

I have had this scope for several weeks. Although I've been using scopes for 50+ years, this is my first software-controlled digital scope. When I got it, it stunk really bad like burned PCB when powered up. I found two yellow radial tantalums C181 and C182 on the A11 Timebase/Display board that were completely burned in two. I decided to just replace all the radial tantalums in the scope.

When I powered up the scope after the repairs, the scope went through the self-test and I got the display that I posted in the Photos section.

As I said earlier, I'm not the least bit familiar with the 2430 (I DO have the service manual), so I could really use some help as to where to go next. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, or how to tell the difference!

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ
mharmon at att dot net

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:29 AM, Mike Harmon wrote:

I posted in the Photos section.
How about a link and/or the name of an album?

Raymond

Siggi

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 6:52 PM Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond>
wrote:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:29 AM, Mike Harmon wrote:
I posted in the Photos section.
How about a link and/or the name of an album?
Here's a link to the album: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=252676.

IIRC you can menu into the failing self test and get a breakdown of the
specific tests that are failing. Maybe that'll help...

Mike Harmon

I don't know how to connect a picture with a post, but if you click on 'Photos' on the left side of the page, it's the first pic to come up.
Mike

Mike Harmon

More Information on this issue --

If I press the "Extended Functions" button, the screen comes up with "SYSTEM" "SPECIAL" and "CAL / DIAG" along the bottom of the screen. However, if I then press the bezel button beneath the "CAL / DIAG" text on the screen to go into diagnostics mode, nothing happens. Is this a software problem, or should I look to see if perhaps the button isn't making contact?

Mike, WB0LDJ
mharmon at att dot net

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 01:05 AM, Mike Harmon wrote:

I don't know how to connect a picture with a post, but if you click on
'Photos' on the left side of the page, it's the first pic to come up.
Sorry for the bluntness in my earlier response, Mike. It didn't come up for me because my photos section is set to sort on oldest first and I didn't remember.
You may copy the contents of the address bar when the photo/album is visible and paste that in a message. That's how I do it.

Raymond

Craig Cramb

bezel button beneath the "CAL / DIAG" text on the screen to go into diagnostics mode,

This is a dual function button. The Cal is only available if you reposition the Cal/NoCal jumper J156 is removed. I highly recommend you purchase a 2430 service manual to prevent you from doing something that isn’t needed and you digging yourself into a deeper hole. These aren’t to terribly hard to get back functional but easy to make it worse to where you have to spend a lot more time to correct.
It’s not a software problem you are seeing just the other function of the button (diagnostics) that’s why you see it load the Diag information.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 03:00 AM, Mike Harmon wrote:

If I press the "Extended Functions" button, the screen comes up with "SYSTEM"
"SPECIAL" and "CAL / DIAG" along the bottom of the screen. However, if I then
press the bezel button beneath the "CAL / DIAG" text on the screen to go into
diagnostics mode, nothing happens. Is this a software problem, or should I
look to see if perhaps the button isn't making contact?
Mike,
Read the applicable parts of the Service Manual. Often, when a 2430-family instrument hasn't been used for quite a while, you have to do some automatic testing/configuring. I did that last on a newly acquired 2440 a few months ago but I forgot which specific things to do. I think the functions are part of the set that need the calibration jumper inside the instrument to be set to cal.
Also, you can drill through from thePass/Fail top level group.
Anyway, I had several error messages that cleared by just going through some automatic procedures from the service manual. No calibration, no need to apply special signals.

Raymond

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 01:03 AM, Siggi wrote:

Here's a link to the album: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=252676.
Thanks for that, Siggi. Turns out I had my photos sorted oldest first...

Raymond

Mike Harmon

Progress!

I removed the CRT frame from the front of the scope and disconnected the ribbon connector from the main board underneath. I checked continuity on the "bubble switch" contacts and everything checked out OK. I cleaned the pins at the end of the ribbon cable with a typing eraser, put everything back together, and reconnected the ribbon cable to the board.

The last button on the right side of the bezel now works! I can get into CAL/DIAG mode! I'm waiting for the scope to warm up and will continue on my quest!

Mike, WB0LDJ