From: Al Holt
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:30 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Low cost Scope-Mobile alternatives?

I'd like to get my 7603 'scope onto some sort of roll around cart, but I'd like to see if it can be done within some sort of reasonable price range. This is just for getting the thing from room to room around my house and not in any professional workplace.

Do you think one of those 3-tier wire shelving units might work, and work well? The cheapest thing I've come across is a $19 wire shelf at WalMart, but it would have to have threaded casters added to get it mobile. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-3-Tier-Rack-Black/143377471 is what they have. I'm not sure if the legs will take 'standard' threaded casters, though.

There are lots of alternatives, it would be nice to find one that is known to work well.

Ideas? Thanks for the help!!

--Al

---
https://www.avg.com

Leon Robinson

You might look at some of these.https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=utility+cart
 Leon Robinson    K5JLR

Political Correctness is a Political Disease.

Made mine from a half sheet of ¾ plywood. Added wheels and a folding shelf, around 30.00 invested and around 2 hrs time.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'd like to get my 7603 'scope onto some sort of roll around cart, but I'd like to see if it can be done within some sort of reasonable price range. This is just for getting the thing from room to room around my house and not in any professional workplace.

Do you think one of those 3-tier wire shelving units might work, and work well? The cheapest thing I've come across is a $19 wire shelf at WalMart, but it would have to have threaded casters added to get it mobile. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-3-Tier-Rack-Black/143377471 is what they have. I'm not sure if the legs will take 'standard' threaded casters, though.

There are lots of alternatives, it would be nice to find one that is known to work well.

Ideas? Thanks for the help!!

--Al

---
https://www.avg.com

Ed Breya

Are the real scope carts all that expensive? I've bought a few over recent years at flea markets and junk stores for around $10-25 typical. I was under the impression that the carts aren't in big demand anymore, and those I've gotten were sitting in stores for months, or still around near the end of a flea market, with no takers. The problem may be in the timing - when you need one, it's hard to find a deal. That's why I just get one whenever a good deal shows up, and worry about commissioning it later. I've got two uncommitted ones in stock right now, that will eventually be scoped up, but are storage shelves until then.

You should be able to fairly easily come up with a bought or homemade rig that will perform the needed function. Chances are that shortly thereafter, a real one will show up for $20. Oh well.

I hate those wire-frame shelving and cart systems, so would never recommend them for anything. I think a simple utility cart with casters and a solid tray top is the way to go, in new or used form. It's a very basic piece of equipment, so there should be plenty to choose from. You may even want to look at outdoor garden carts - some are quite sturdy.

Another semi-homemade option is to use the base cabinet of an old junked propane BBQ. I have made a number of benches and carts from these and almost anything else that rolls and is sturdy enough. You just have to come up with a wood top for it.

Ed

Pete Lancashire

In some parts of the country scope equipment or any type of cart seem to be
rare birds. the Portland Oregon area is one of them.

I'd love to see the one build out of plywood I have a friend with the
Woodshop that could duplicate it or come up with something close.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018, 4:58 PM Ed Breya via Groups.Io <edbreya=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Haha - I just looked at those Harbor Freight ones someone linked. That's the kind I was picturing, whether plastic or metal. Some are kind of spendy, but if you look at the coupons, there's a 3-shelf steel one for $40 on sale (regular $50). There's a 2-shelf steel one for $38 regular, so you could use your 20% off coupon to get it around $30. The 3-shelf will be much sturdier, however. The best thing to do with HF stuff is look at it in person to be sure it's of sufficient quality and function. In this price range, there's not much point to making your own.

Ed

Michael A. Terrell

How about a cheap welding cart, or make a copy of the design from the online manual?

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-69340.html

Michael A. Terrell

[...]

I have a bunch of these in both the shop, and in the house. They are sturdy enough, but a piece of plywood under the bottom shelf makes them even stronger.

<https://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-30-inch-steel-service-cart-5107.html>
Michael A. Terrell