What removes sticker residue without hurting the blue paint?

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.

Rick Boswell

Try Goo Gone, a citrus based product (not to be confused with Goof Off, a
paint remover). I have used this to remove cal sticker adhesive from
several Tek and Agilent instruments. Be gentle!

Rick
K8EZB

Jim Olson <v_12eng@...>

Once upon a time? NAPA had a spray can of sticker removal that would lift out the solvent in the glue so that all that was left was the rubber solid and it rubbed right off afterward. It was under their own brand name, don't know if it is still available now haven't looked recently. It was not harmful to the old lacquer style paints from the 40's - 50's.
Might be worth a try if it is still there.

Jim Olson (sorry no call sign.)

Try Goo Gone, a citrus based product (not to be confused with Goof Off, a
paint remover). I have used this to remove cal sticker adhesive from
several Tek and Agilent instruments. Be gentle!

Rick
K8EZB

n4buq

Have you tried Goo Gone? Also, WD-40?

Barry - N4BUQ

On Jun 11, 2018, at 9:10 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.

Larry McDavid

I agree with Rick K8EZB that Goo Gone, the citrus-based product, is a good choice for removing many labels. I let the label soak for 30 minutes (Goo Gone is aqueous so it evaporates slowly) and then work to remove the label. If there is substantial paper label remaining, an "orange stick" or even a fingernail can remove the paper, followed by more soaking in Goo Gone. Finally, a soft cotton shop or kitchen towel can remove the remaining adhesive residue. Using a typical kitchen paper towel too vigorously can scuff the paint. I've even used cotton balls in critical areas.

I also use Simple Green Extreme (well diluted) on Tek painted cabinetry. I put a splash of SGE in a tub of warm water and let the case soak for 30 minutes per side, then scrub with a soft brush. I have a kitchen Reverse Osmosis water system so I always do a final rinse in RO water.

Now, I've heard some folks complain about Simple Green; I've never tried that product. You would think Simple Green Extreme would be more of a problem than Simple Green, but I've never had any problem with SGE on painted surfaces when diluted. The supplied SGE is quite concentrated so it must be diluted. SGE is a little difficult to find but I got my last gallon jug on Amazon.

Incidentally, I often use RO water to wash electronics without issue. Water does not harm most electronics but residual minerals from tap water certainly does! Spill coffee on your computer keyboard? Just rinse thoroughly with RO (or, distilled) water. Anyway, anything I wash with a detergent (e.g. SGE) I final-rinse with RO water.

I do have Goof Off, a solvent-based product, but don't dare use it on painted surfaces. But, if you have a label on a stainless steel surface, Goof Off is quick and safe to use. I finish with Goo Gone and RO water rinse.

I've found instruments with solid brass ID tags bonded with a really hard adhesive. Those are tough to get off...

Isopropyl alcohol is ineffective on most adhesives. Methanol is a much better solvent but will attack some paint finishes and must be used with good ventilation. Finding methanol is getting harder and harder; it seems to have disappeared in California big box stores but is still available in California as a race fuel for motorcycles and cars.

I work on many microscopes with aged grease that is tough to get off. Soaking in xylene works well but again that solvent must be used with good ventilation and it is no longer available in California; it is available at Home Depot in every other state. Not for use on any paint!

For microscope mechanical subassemblies with dried grease, I use a succession of dirty-to-clean xylene in large-mouth screw jars. I use the jars with Teflon lid liners available from McMaster-Carr.

I do use isopropyl alcohol for flux removal but I get the anhydrous alcohol available from some drug stores and from industrial hardware stores.

There is no single-best approach and you must apply caution and wisdom to prevent damage.

Larry

On 6/11/2018 7:10 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:
What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(
Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.
Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

c n

A method that is about as gentle as any is to use vegetable oil and work it into the adhesive. If a sticker is glossy or plastic coated, carefully remove the gloss by scraping or peel off the plastic part so the oil can soak through the paper into the adhesive. It may need to soak a couple days to soften up enough. Carefully rub off the oil/paper/adhesive goo as much as possible and wash oil residue off with dish washing detergent and water or Windex. This is my method of choice with cosmetic plastic surfaces where alcohol or more agressive solvents would ruin the texture or gloss.

I've used WD40 with good results. Most paints seem to tolerate it well. As with any old finish, rubbing will likely damage it. I spray a small amount of it on the sticker, let it rest for a few minutes, spray again, and the sticker usually comes right off, leaving what's left of the adhesive mostly dissolved. A paper towel soaked with WD40 takes care of the residue.
Don't know what's in WD40, or what's different from GoofOff, but, as with almost EVERYTHING else, use at your own risk.

Dave M

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 07:10 pm, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.

G Hopper

One more vote: Goo gone is my go to. I learned about it from a woman who
refurbished photographic enlargers years ago. Mild and didn't damage
anything, but worked amazingly on adhesives and grease. Has a pleasant
smell too.

73,
Grant
KB7WSD

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM, David M <dgminala@mediacombb.net> wrote:

[...]

Bob Albert

I wonder if denatured alcohol would work.  I have used it successfully on many things.  About the only thing stronger might be acetone but that will eat the paint too.
Bob

On Monday, June 11, 2018, 8:40:39 PM PDT, G Hopper <kb7wsd@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Naptha, or lighter fluid does a good job, and is
mild on paints and plastics.

Hot air will often allow you to peel off a sticker
more or less intact, but will usually leave the
stickum behind... which you will still have to
remove with something like lighter fluid.

-Chuck Harris

Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

Goo gone is not aqueous. It is more like terpene,
made from the citrus, with mineral oil added to
prevent re-adhesion of the stickum.

The mineral oil component will separate out, and if
you are using a pump type bottle, it will come out
all at once... and will not remove the label, only
make an oily mess. So, do shake well before use.

-Chuck Harris

Larry McDavid wrote:

I agree with Rick K8EZB that Goo Gone, the citrus-based product, is a good choice for
removing many labels. I let the label soak for 30 minutes (Goo Gone is aqueous so it
evaporates slowly) and then work to remove the label. If there is substantial paper
label remaining, an "orange stick" or even a fingernail can remove the paper,
followed by more soaking in Goo Gone. Finally, a soft cotton shop or kitchen towel
can remove the remaining adhesive residue. Using a typical kitchen paper towel too
vigorously can scuff the paint. I've even used cotton balls in critical areas.

ken chalfant

Greetings,

I have had very good results with WD-40 and a little patience.

I have used it on HP and Tek cabinets as well as an assortment of plastic enclosures.

After the WD-40 loosens the old label and sticky PSA residue then a little clean-up with alcohol, Windex or Sparkle usually finishes the job. 401 also works, but sometimes seems a little harsh.

My two cents.

Regards,

Ken

On 11Jun, 2018, at 8:10 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

A far too common problem I have no solution for yet:

What will remove sticker residue on Tek blue paint without harming the paint
finish?

Stay away from GOOF OFF. Its active ingredient is XYLENE, which dissolves
paint very quickly. Don't ask me how I know :(

Isopropyl alcohol is very mild on most things but it does poorly against the
sticker residue and often you have to rub the affected area to get the glue
to come off. The rubbing removes some blue paint and mars the finish so that
is no good.

Would boiling water soften the sticker residue and leave the paint alone or
would it siften the paint as well.

Suggestions are welcome.

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

I avoid any cleaners that contain the solvent butylcellosolve.
It is a terrific solvent for grease, dirt, plastics, and soaks
into vinyl like it is a good idea. Given time, it will make
vinyl sticky... very sticky.

Unless they have changed their formulation, Formula 409 is mostly
butylcellosolve.

-Chuck Harris

ken chalfant wrote:

[...]

Kevin Oconnor

Soon I hear that H20 will no longer be available in California. The legislature has learned that microwave ovens have changed H2O into a carcinogenic substance. There will soon be labeling requirements on all water containing products that they may cause cancer.

WTF. Plan your move soon!

Adam

I have good success removing sticker residue with WD-40, but cannot vouch for it’s safety on TEK blue paint.

stefan_trethan

I use denatured alcohol (denatured with denatonium benzoate) and found
it safe on all plastics, but I have been told the stuff in the US can
be denatured with methanol or even gasoline so be careful.

Somewhere between ethanol and acetone in terms of strength is ethyl
acetate. I don't have enough experience to advise on paint
compatibility.

The oil method and citrus based remover work well too, but the citurs
smell can be a bit strong.

ST

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 6:13 AM, Bob Albert via Groups.Io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Gary Robert Bosworth

I have used Ronsonol lighter fluid for the past 50 years. It is harmless
to nearly all surfaces.

Gary

--
Gary Robert Bosworth
grbosworth@gmail.com

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

If you soak acrylic plastics in denatured alcohol for more than
about a minute, it will form great cracks at every stress point.

US denatures its ethanol by adding poisons that will make you
blind if you drink it, and sick if it gets on your skin...

Tax cheats must be punished!

The UK, on the other hand, colors their denatured alcohol a
pretty violet color, and housewives everywhere use it as a
mixer.

Check out the comments section for Barrettine Methylated Spirit:

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/GREAVES-CO-Barrettine-Methylated-Spirit/dp/B002ATI4VG>

-Chuck Harris

stefan_trethan wrote:

I use denatured alcohol (denatured with denatonium benzoate) and found
it safe on all plastics, but I have been told the stuff in the US can
be denatured with methanol or even gasoline so be careful.

Somewhere between ethanol and acetone in terms of strength is ethyl
acetate. I don't have enough experience to advise on paint
compatibility.

The oil method and citrus based remover work well too, but the citurs
smell can be a bit strong.

ST

Phillip Potter

For what it’s worth, after scrubbing the covers on my filthy 453 with a Scotch Brite pad and IPA (the only thing that would cut the slime!), they had a matte appearance. After consulting the “Tek Brain Trust,” I wiped them down with WD-40 to return a shiny lustrous appearance. It helped (not harmed) the blue Tek paint.

Now, my 453 “Shines like a dime!”

Phil, N6OMM

On Jun 11, 2018, at 11:06 PM, Adam <adam_alterman@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have good success removing sticker residue with WD-40, but cannot vouch for it’s safety on TEK blue paint.

David Berlind

I second the naptha (lighter fluid) suggestion (although I haven't used it
on paint). I had a Simpson multimeter that had a price tag affixed to its
plastic lens for what was probably many years. I didn't want to scratch or
damage the lens. I was able to lightly fingernail the paper part off.. but
the adhesive remained. After asking around (here and on other forums), I
settled on trying naptha. I was worried that it might dissolve the plastic.
But I decided to give it a go. I couldn't find a store that sold it. So, I
went to a smoke shop and there were about a dozen guys inside puffing on
giant stogies. The store was a bona fide gas chamber. I held my breath for
the duration of the transaction and until I exited the store. I got the
lighter fluid but when I got back in the car, my daughters were choking
from the stench that I had absorbed during the 60 seconds I was in the
store. When I got home, I applied the lighter fluid with a q-tip and the
adhesive came of beautifully with no damage to the lens.