Topics

Off Topic: Wanted Spectracom 8212 Chart Recorder Manual

I have a set of Spectracom WWV receiver TM500 plugins. I have manuals for
most of them but I am missing the manual for the dual wide 8212 Chart
Recorder.

This recorder uses two slots in a Tek TM5xx or TM5xxx mainframe. It receives
a 0-1mA DC signal from the 8150 Precision Phase Comparator Aux Output front
panel jack or the rear interface connector. It uses MP00025 Chart Paper.

I searched google with no success. I have done google searches over the
years in hopes that a manual might show up also with no success.

The only marking of any kind inside the unit is a little paper label
attached to the motor that that drives the chart paper. It says D-7710
Donaueschingen Stegmann and it lists the voltage the motor works on
3512-250/110V/60Hz. This is somewhat mysterious since the TM mainframes do
not supply 110V on any of their connector pins. and this chart recorder
works in any TM mainframe. I'm not sure how they do that but a manual or
schematic should explain it.

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Ed Breya

Dennis, remember the TM500 has AC power available inside by virtue of the floating LV AC windings - two per slot, so two slots could give four windings at 24V-30V (I forget the specs) each that could add up to around 110-120V (especially if that's the only load) - probably close enough. Or, a single winding through a small step-up transformer could do it to. I presume the chart paper drive is one of those old-school synchronous clock motors with built-in gearbox to get whatever speed is needed. Those only take about 3W, as I recall.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Yes, if you connect all three windings together you do get about 67VAC (25VAC + 25VAC + 17VAC) but that is not 110VAC by any stretch. You have an intriguing idea if the plugin did actually plug into two backplane connectors. But it only plugs into one backplane connector on the rear.

But you got me thinking it must have a transformer in it to boost the (25VAC + 25VAC) to 110VAC even though the chart recorder takes up most of the double wide space, so I looked carefully and there is a very flat form factor transformer on one side. You have to remove the side cover to find it. So that is how they must be doing it. I bet they use the +/-33VDC or the +11VDC windings to power the rest of the unit

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Dennis Tillman W7PF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Jim Olson <v_12eng@...>

This is also off topic I am a new comer to the site and also getting into Tek o'scopes have picked up some dead 400 scopes to play with.
Found this site by browsing for info, manuals etc. and i have noticed that most of the folks on here are Ham Radio license operators. Is this a requirement to play with the older Tek scopes or just a coincidense as one would be handy setting up receivers and transmitters as I recall from my radio and electronics classes in High School back in the dark ages. i actually had a complete radio set from a WW II Grumman TBM with all the tuning boxes and the Dynamoter ran it off a pair of 12v batteries. Never got my license back then as it was really complicated for a high school kid got it to use in my involvement with the CAP also my pilots license.
have always loved working with electronic busy stuff so I will have fun testing, trouble shooting and repairing these things.
Just a little back ground have been a gear head forever plus amature IT type guy did 17yrs in the Navy air reserve as a Aircraft Electrician on various planes ending with the FA-18.
Enough for now

Jim Olson AE1ret.

Jim Olson <v_12eng@...>

Dennis there is a guy selling manuals on Ebay that has aquirred a large inventory of older Tek and HP manuals and he might have what you need his user name is tigertechus he even had some manuals for the testing Tek stuff for test and calibrating boxes i got.

Jim Olson

Hi Jim,
Thanks but this seller is pretty typical of those selling manuals. This particular Spectracom manual has been unobtanium for over 10 years that I am aware of. Periodically I search the internet again in hopes that one will show up or that a member of TekScopes might point me to a source who has this specific manual (Spectracom 8212 Chart Recorder) I am asking about, not a seller of readily available manuals such as the Tek and HP manuals that tigertechus has. Virtually all of this sellers manuals are probably available for free on the many download sites that host electronics manuals such as BAMA.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

Dennis there is a guy selling manuals on Ebay that has aquirred a
large inventory of older Tek and HP manuals and he might have what you
need his user name is tigertechus he even had some manuals for the
testing Tek stuff for test and calibrating boxes i got.

Jim Olson

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

I have a PDF of the 8212 recorder manual. I can send it to anyone who needs it; just send an email. to dgminala at mediacombb dot net. It took an exchange of emails with one of the older Spectracom engineers, and a photo of the unit to help him find the right manual, but he graciously sent it along to me.
The 8212 recorder is actually a Simpson model 2750 recorder, which I have verified with the one that I have.
I think that the Simpson manual is the one that was supplied by Spectracom with the unit.

I'll upload the manual to Didier's site later this morning.

Cheers,
Dave M

The manual has been uploaded to Didier's site (http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals) and to the TekWiki site (http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Spectracom_8212).

Enjoy!!