Topics

1 Peter Keller Book for Wichita KS held in USPS Seattle Network Distribution Center

This book is being held in the main USPS Seattle Network Distribution
Center:
Tracking #: 9549016335941002723034, Zip Code: 67212 (Wichita, KS)

This news story may have something to do with why it hasn't been sent on to
the USPS Wichita Bulk Mail Facility
Dennis Tillman W7pF
---

Wichita Eagle newspaper;
HEADLINE: Kansas, Missouri mail processing machines removed by Postal
Service, union leader says
BY JONATHAN SHORMAN AND BRYAN LOWRY, AUGUST 14, 2020 02:47 PM, UPDATED
AUGUST 15, 2020 10:24 AM
TOPEKA
The U.S. Postal Service has removed mail processing machines from facilities
in Kansas City, Wichita and Springfield, according to a local union
official, who fears their loss could slow mail delivery.

The decommissioned machines in Kansas and Missouri are among a wave of
removals at postal facilities nationwide, sparking fears President Donald
Trump will attempt to thwart voting by mail this fall. Trump earlier this
week said blocking funding for USPS would halt mail-in voting.

Officials in two postal unions said Friday that mail processing machines
have been removed from USPS facilities.

Antoinette Robinson, president of the American Postal Workers Union Greater
Kansas City Metro Area Local, said USPS was removing machines nationally.
National Postal Mail Handlers Union Local 297 President Chris Bentley said
four machines in Kansas City, one in Wichita and two in Springfield were
removed earlier this summer.

USPS management didn't provide many reasons for removing the machines,
Bentley said, adding that workers were told that mail volume is down. He
said mail volume always declines in the summer, though, before picking up in
the fall.

"The predictions are to be a busy fall mailing season and not having
machines in place is going to be troublesome," Bentley said.

The removal of Kansas and Missouri machines was first reported by CNN.

At full speed, each machine can process 30,000 to 40,000 pieces of mail an
hour, Bentley said. He said he didn't know how many machines remain in each
location. The employees who were assigned to the machines haven't been laid
off, he said, adding that they've been reassigned.

Mark Inglett, a Kansas City-based spokesman for USPS, confirmed the removal
of the machines, but he called it a routine and necessary process to improve
operations in the region.

"We are retiring older, out of date equipment so that we can expand our
newer sorting equipment that can handle as many as 30,000 letters a minute,"
Inglett said in a statement. "This will increase our capacity and our
efficiency to handle increased package volume as well any current letter and
flat volume. This is a multi-year effort that prepares us for the future."

Craig Cramb

Well I guess I won’t be receiving my book. That seems ridiculous that it’s not moving. There must be another issue. Maybe need to file a claim with USPS.

Craig

Eric-K0ELB

We must be neighbors then, I'm 67217'

Hi Craig,

I may have been incorrect. The USPS Distribution Center is in Kansas City. You could try calling their number to find out why they aren't accepting mail from the Seattle Network Distribution Center and ask them to track your book. If that doesn't work try your local post office but don't let them give you the runaround like they gave me (see below). Call the number they give you while you stand there at the window and refuse to move until you get someone on the line that gives you a satisfactory answer.

USPS Network Distribution Center
4900 Speaker Rd, Kansas City, KS 66106
(913) 281-2979

I inquired in my post office who I should speak to in the Seattle Network Distribution Center to find out books were being held there. It took a while but they located the phone number of the manager of that facility. When I got home and called it I was put through to a number that rang unanswered for 5 minutes before I hung up. That really pissed me off.

This time when I go back to my post office I will be sure to call the next number they tell me is the correct number while I am standing there at one of the windows so the clerk can't help anyone else while I do it.

Dennis Tillman W7pF