Topics

1240 / 1241 Logic Analyzer Lithium Battery Removal

Andre D'Amours

Hello Everyone,

I just acquired a very nice 1241 logic analyzer with accessories. I'm aware that the 1240 and 1241 have a potentially nasty Catalyst Research Corp lithium iodine battery that should should be removed before it causes damage. Does anyone have any suggestions on the safe removal of this battery? Is it safe to remove the battery using vacuum de-soldering equipment such as Metcal or Pace? Is a CR-123A in a socket a good replacement for this battery?

Thank you!
Andre

Chuck Harris

Hi Andre,

I am probably your original source for the story about how
the Catalyst Research Corp lithium battery made a mess of my
1240. It totaled the multilayer CPU board, so I had to replace
it too.

The same, or a similar cell is used in the RAM cartridges, so
they should be serviced as well.

I replaced mine with a socket, and lithium coin cell that was
the biggest I could find. I should check it out to see if it
is still holding memory, as it has been a while since I made
the swap.

The only thing the cell protects is the setup, so it is safe
to pull the board, and simply replace it. I wouldn't go out
of my way to short circuit the cell, but I wouldn't worry too
much about doing so, either.

-Chuck Harris