Topics

11801C 11802 CSA803A

John Griessen
 

On 9/17/19 11:49 PM, Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io wrote:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here."
A functional 20 GHz BW TDR system with 10-20 fs resolution is a bottomless time sink.:-)
But it is a huge amount of fun for those who are easily amused by science.
I notice the 11802 has delay line and only two slots. Is that less useful for TDR than a 11801C, or better?

Is the Tektronix 11802 Digital Sampling Oscilloscope (No Plug-Ins) on the auction site one with the fast calibrator? (Has a gold connector lower right).

cmjones01
 

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019, 16:49 John Griessen, <john@...> wrote:

On 9/17/19 11:49 PM, Reginald Beardsley via Groups.Io wrote:

"Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

A functional 20 GHz BW TDR system with 10-20 fs resolution is a
bottomless time sink.:-)

But it is a huge amount of fun for those who are easily amused by
science.

I notice the 11802 has delay line and only two slots. Is that less useful
for TDR than a 11801C, or better?

Is the Tektronix 11802 Digital Sampling Oscilloscope (No Plug-Ins) on the
auction site one with the fast calibrator? (Has a gold
connector lower right).
Soon after I bought my CSA803A I picked up a scrap 11802 (missing its power
supply) off eBay in order to get the delay lines.

The delay lines aren't useful for TDR, as far as I know, but they make the
scope much more usable for general purpose high bandwidth debugging (I used
it fairly recently to find and eliminate some very high-frequency parasitic
oscillations in a switch-mode power supply).

As far as I can make out, the models' hardware features look roughly like
this:
11801: four full-featured plugin slots, so could theoretically do 8-channel
TDR with a full complement of SD24s.
11802: two delay lines plus two plugin slots. Trigger source selectable
from the delay lines. Mine also had the high-speed calibrator but I don't
know if that's standard.
CSA(11)803: two power-only slots (intended for optical to electrical
converters) plus two full-featured slots, plus a 10GHz (I think) trigger
prescaler for triggering off very high speed comms signals.

I had no use for the power-only slots but quite liked the idea of the
trigger prescaler, so I modified the acquisition module from the 11802,
adding SMA trigger outputs from the delay lines on the front of it (there's
no option to route these internally on the CSA803A) and fitted it to the
803A, creating a frankenscope with the features I wanted. I'm really
pleased with it.

The high-speed calibrator from the 11802 is still in a safe place awaiting
its round tuit, when I will build it in to a useful housing. Fitting it to
the CSA803A looked non-trivial, though the wiring is compatible, and my
SD24 does just as good a job at generating fast edges.

Chris

John Griessen
 

On 9/18/19 2:15 PM, cmjones01 wrote:
I had no use for the power-only slots but quite liked the idea of the
trigger prescaler, so I modified the acquisition module from the 11802,
adding SMA trigger outputs from the delay lines on the front of it (there's
no option to route these internally on the CSA803A) and fitted it to the
803A, creating a frankenscope with the features I wanted. I'm really
pleased with it.
Did the delay lines go into your frankenscope? Are the delay lines part of
the acquisition module from the 11802?

cmjones01
 

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:18 AM John Griessen <john@...> wrote:

On 9/18/19 2:15 PM, cmjones01 wrote:
I had no use for the power-only slots but quite liked the idea of the
trigger prescaler, so I modified the acquisition module from the 11802,
adding SMA trigger outputs from the delay lines on the front of it (there's
no option to route these internally on the CSA803A) and fitted it to the
803A, creating a frankenscope with the features I wanted. I'm really
pleased with it.
Did the delay lines go into your frankenscope? Are the delay lines part of
the acquisition module from the 11802?
Yes, the delay lines are built in to the 11802's acquisition module.
They're very substantial, heavy pieces of plumbing. Each of them has a
power splitter on the input which sends part of the signal down the
delay line and the remaining part to a trigger output. On the 11802
the trigger signals are routed internally to the bottom board of the
mainframe. The CSA803A doesn't have the necessary connections so I
drilled holes in the front panel of the acquisition module and added
semi-rigid SMA pigtails to bring the trigger outputs to the front
panel so I can just hook them up externally to the CSA803A's trigger
input.

Chris

 

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 09:15 PM, cmjones01 wrote:

Been there, done that ...

I had no use for the power-only slots but quite liked the idea of the
trigger prescaler, so I modified the acquisition module from the 11802,
adding SMA trigger outputs from the delay lines on the front
http://www.hakanh.com/dl/lab/csa.jpg

The high-speed calibrator from the 11802 is still in a safe place awaiting
its round tuit, when I will build it in to a useful housing.
http://www.hakanh.com/dl/fast_pg_2.htm

/HÃ¥kan