Date   
Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Jim Strohm
 

Rich,

Since you had Win8.1 to install, it suggests that you have install disks for it. I'd recommend that you play with 8.1 for a while, then back up all your data to CD, delete it from your HD, and then install Win10. Monitor the installation and limit data access and delivery to the cloud, naturally. Then put your data back and play with it some more.

I did a similar build a few years ago for my son. Having a choice between the rock-solid but soon to be discontinued Win7 and the brand new but untested Win8.1, I gave him 8.1 and when the update offer came along I made sure he knew about it.

The system was powerful enough for mega-gaming and the video card was good enough to mine for bitcoin. I found that when I built it, I developed a deep-seated hatred for 8.1; since then I've come to believe that 10 is a much better choice in every respect.

I was hoping my son would confront this opportunity to choose.

And choose to format everything and install a *nix distro like Ubuntu. Then run his games in a virtual machine.

73
Jim N6OTQ

---In TekScopes@..., <mechanic_2@...> wrote :

Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

ArtekManuals
 

Rich
AMEN
Dave

On 2/8/2016 6:39 PM, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hank,
Download the full version of Win10 and then you can do a fresh
install. This would allow you to get rid of the hidden restore partition
on the hard drive. This is another reason I don't buy pre-built
computers. I want the OS disk and not a restore partition.
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 5:35 PM, HankC @HankC [TekScopes] wrote:
>
> I have an HP laptop with Win 7, 64 bit with SP1.This is supposed to be
> compatible with Win 10 but MS says it is not eligible because it
> doesn't have IE installed.I bought it brand new & IE has never been
> present on this PC; I didn't care at the time because I preferred
> Firefox anyway.I have spent hours with MS Tech Support & they have
> been unable to fix it.
> Now, it looks like I'll have to revert to the HP restore disks, which
> will wipe out all my aps.
> HankC, Boston WA1HOS
>
>
>


--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Re: Dosemu to run TekMate, FAS and the like

Vince Vielhaber
 

Siggi, do you have the executable TekMate software? Any more info on the
dosemu hack mentioned below? I have a 2430A, a GPIB card, only do
Linux/unix (although I need to add ram and rebuild the driver for the
new(er) machine I'm using. I'm definitely interested in this and may be
able to help.

Mark, Grayling, huh? You're not on Sandy Trail are you?

Vince.




On Mon, February 8, 2016 6:21 pm, Sigurður �sgeirsson siggi@...
[TekScopes] wrote:
Hey Mark,

this is sure to take me just about forever, if I ever get it done, so
don't
hold your breath.
Here at least <http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/320045.pdf> is an old-style
service manual for the NI GPIB-PCIIA card. It seems to contain schematics
for the ISA card as well as suggested test sequences phrased in IO reads
and writes.

Siggi

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 at 07:39 Mark wendt.mark@... [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

On 02/04/2016 04:10 PM, Sigurður �sgeirsson siggi@... [TekScopes]
wrote:
Hey y'all,

I've seen a couple of threads on EEVBlog and the Tek forum where
people
claim to have hacked dosemu to emulate the NI GPIB card(s). Presumably
this
forwards the GPIB calls to Linux-GPIB.
This would allow running TekMate and the TDS field adjust software on
contemporary hardware. I've tried to contact the people who made these
claims a couple of times without success.
I've looked into what this takes a little bit, and it looks pretty
trivial
to emulate the hardware, but I'm too much of a GPIB noob to make
headway
on
the translation by myself.
I've mainly played with this because I'd love to be able to take a
look
at
TekMate hooked up to my 2430, and one day I'm sure I'll have to run
the
FAS
at my TDS784D :).

Have any of y'all done this, or know of code drops related to this
that I
could work from?

Siggi
Siggi,

Well, now that my move to Grayling, Michigan is complete, it's time to
start setting up the shop again. Since I run strictly Linux/Unix here,
I'll be following this with you. I've got a GPIB card that'll be going
in a CentOS system, so I'll be interested to see how this works. I'm
typing this from an Ubuntu laptop, so until I get the shop set up, I may
be able to do a little here on this computer, though I can't hook up a
GPIB card to it.

Still unpacking boxes and setting up the place though, so it may go in
spurts. ;-)

Mark


------------------------------------

------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links







--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/
http://www.foggymist.com The Foggy Mist Emporium

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Malcolm Hunter
 

Just install IE 11. You don't have to use it afterwards.

Malcolm


On 8 February 2016 11:35:40 p.m. "HankC @HankC [TekScopes]"
<TekScopes@...> wrote:

I have an HP laptop with Win 7, 64 bit with SP1.This is supposed to be
compatible with Win 10 but MS says it is not eligible because it doesn't
have IE installed.I bought it brand new & IE has never been present on this
PC; I didn't care at the time because I preferred Firefox anyway.I have
spent hours with MS Tech Support & they have been unable to fix it.
Now, it looks like I'll have to revert to the HP restore disks, which will
wipe out all my aps.
 HankC, Boston WA1HOS



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Richard R. Pope
 

Hank,
Download the full version of Win10 and then you can do a fresh
install. This would allow you to get rid of the hidden restore partition
on the hard drive. This is another reason I don't buy pre-built
computers. I want the OS disk and not a restore partition.
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 5:35 PM, HankC @HankC [TekScopes] wrote:

I have an HP laptop with Win 7, 64 bit with SP1.This is supposed to be
compatible with Win 10 but MS says it is not eligible because it
doesn't have IE installed.I bought it brand new & IE has never been
present on this PC; I didn't care at the time because I preferred
Firefox anyway.I have spent hours with MS Tech Support & they have
been unable to fix it.
Now, it looks like I'll have to revert to the HP restore disks, which
will wipe out all my aps.
HankC, Boston WA1HOS

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Richard R. Pope
 

Tom,
At that point I will switch over to Linux or get an Amiga.
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 5:22 PM, Tom Gardner tggzzz@... [TekScopes] wrote:

On 08/02/16 21:04, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

Depends on what software you run... I upgraded ONE machine and was
plagued with lockups... I reverted back to WIN-7 ... I will wait till
Service pack 1 comes out even if I have to pay for WIN-10 by then...why
do you think they are giving away WIN-10 upgrades?
Partly to recover their reputation a little bit. But MS has stated
that Win10
will be "the last Windows" due to continual incremental upgrades, and that
they want to move to "subscription pricing". That's a fancy name for
renting the operating system, and it will earn MS more in the long run.

Whether that worries or comforts you is a personal decision.

As your friendly neighbourhood free-marketeer knows instinctively,
"the first one is free".




------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

 

I have an HP laptop with Win 7, 64 bit with SP1.This is supposed to be compatible with Win 10 but MS says it is not eligible because it doesn't have IE installed.I bought it brand new & IE has never been present on this PC; I didn't care at the time because I preferred Firefox anyway.I have spent hours with MS Tech Support & they have been unable to fix it.
Now, it looks like I'll have to revert to the HP restore disks, which will wipe out all my aps.
 HankC, Boston WA1HOS

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Richard R. Pope
 

Paul,
I'll reword the question. How long was it between the time that
WinXP was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued public support for it?
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 5:09 PM, Paul Amaranth paul@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Since XP is in uncounted ATMs, it is actually still supported for
security fixes. You can change an entry in the registry and
get the fixes if you care to. It will be supported until at
least 2019.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:52:50PM -0600, 'Richard R. Pope'
mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
But the question is: How long was it between the time that WinXP
was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich

On 2/8/2016 4:44 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

WIN XP was officially supported up until April 2014 (12 years after
initial release) this was 5 years after WIN-7 was released in 2009.
There was a lot of pressure to get rid of the crash prone XP platform.
WIN 7 on the other hand was lauded for it crash free nature. I cant
remember the last time I saw the "blue screen of death"

IMO WIN-8 is to WIN-10 as VISTA was to WIN-7 . '
I have no doubt WIN-10 will survive its puberty and become a solid
player someday .Giving WIN10 away is genius where else are you
going to
recruit 110 million beta testers for free. It is an interesting gamble
on MS part

Dave
NR1DX

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Torch Fireman
 

On 08/02/2016 4:00 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Uninstall WIN-8 and instal WIN-7

._,___
+1

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Tom Gardner
 

Another set of reviews, hints and tips is at http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html Scroll halfway down to get to his Windows stuff.

He's brash and opinionated, but pleasantly o/s agnostic. Worth reading to cut through some of the adulation and flack, and to form an opinion as to what matters (and does not matter) to you.

On 08/02/16 21:01, geoffrey thomas geoffreythomas@... [TekScopes] wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/02/microsoft_ups_pressure_win_10_holdouts/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/26/microsoft_renamed_data_slurper_reinserted_windows_10/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/are-recent-patches-windows-78-letting-microsoft-spy-you.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmosbest+%28Gizmo%27s+Best-ever+Freeware%29

http://winaero.com/blog/telemetry-and-data-collection-are-coming-to-windows-7-and-windows-8-too/

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/list-of-windows-7-telemetry-updates-to-avoid.379151/

https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-updates-spy-on-windows7-8-users/

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/28/microsoft-intensifies-data-collection-on-windows-7-and-8-systems/

http://appsensebigot.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/windows-10-part-4-secure-your-privacy.html

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

http://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows

Make up your mind from the above, take your time. Your computer has
probably already downloaded the new win10 system ready to go- 6 GB is
good fun if you're on a limited connection.

Geoff.


On 08/02/2016 20:53, mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Hello all,
I am posing this question in this group because of the high level of experience and knowledge. I have just built a dream computer and I installed Win 8.1 on it. MS is offering Win 10 as an upgrade. Could I please get thoughts on this.
Thanks,
rich!

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Tom Gardner
 

On 08/02/16 21:04, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Depends on what software you run... I upgraded ONE machine and was
plagued with lockups... I reverted back to WIN-7 ... I will wait till
Service pack 1 comes out even if I have to pay for WIN-10 by then...why
do you think they are giving away WIN-10 upgrades?
Partly to recover their reputation a little bit. But MS has stated that Win10
will be "the last Windows" due to continual incremental upgrades, and that
they want to move to "subscription pricing". That's a fancy name for
renting the operating system, and it will earn MS more in the long run.

Whether that worries or comforts you is a personal decision.

As your friendly neighbourhood free-marketeer knows instinctively,
"the first one is free".

Re: Dosemu to run TekMate, FAS and the like

Siggi
 

Hey Mark,

this is sure to take me just about forever, if I ever get it done, so don't
hold your breath.
Here at least <http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/320045.pdf> is an old-style
service manual for the NI GPIB-PCIIA card. It seems to contain schematics
for the ISA card as well as suggested test sequences phrased in IO reads
and writes.

Siggi

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 at 07:39 Mark wendt.mark@... [TekScopes] <
TekScopes@...> wrote:

On 02/04/2016 04:10 PM, Sigurður Ásgeirsson siggi@... [TekScopes]
wrote:
Hey y'all,

I've seen a couple of threads on EEVBlog and the Tek forum where people
claim to have hacked dosemu to emulate the NI GPIB card(s). Presumably
this
forwards the GPIB calls to Linux-GPIB.
This would allow running TekMate and the TDS field adjust software on
contemporary hardware. I've tried to contact the people who made these
claims a couple of times without success.
I've looked into what this takes a little bit, and it looks pretty
trivial
to emulate the hardware, but I'm too much of a GPIB noob to make headway
on
the translation by myself.
I've mainly played with this because I'd love to be able to take a look
at
TekMate hooked up to my 2430, and one day I'm sure I'll have to run the
FAS
at my TDS784D :).

Have any of y'all done this, or know of code drops related to this that I
could work from?

Siggi
Siggi,

Well, now that my move to Grayling, Michigan is complete, it's time to
start setting up the shop again. Since I run strictly Linux/Unix here,
I'll be following this with you. I've got a GPIB card that'll be going
in a CentOS system, so I'll be interested to see how this works. I'm
typing this from an Ubuntu laptop, so until I get the shop set up, I may
be able to do a little here on this computer, though I can't hook up a
GPIB card to it.

Still unpacking boxes and setting up the place though, so it may go in
spurts. ;-)

Mark


------------------------------------

------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links



Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Geoffrey Thomas
 

As in : " Hey, little kid, wanna buy 10c worth of heroin?"

On 08/02/2016 23:22, Tom Gardner tggzzz@... [TekScopes] wrote:
On 08/02/16 21:04, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes] wrote:
As your friendly neighbourhood free-marketeer knows instinctively,
"the first one is free".

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Geoffrey Thomas
 

On 08/02/2016 23:14, geoffrey thomas geoffreythomas@... [TekScopes] wrote:
The xp on atms is a stripped down version and doesn't have the likes of
IE with all it's security shortcomings. There are a few other exploit
channels ( which I can't remember) which have been stripped out, too.

On 08/02/2016 23:09, Paul Amaranth paul@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Since XP is in uncounted ATMs, it is actually still supported for
security fixes. You can change an entry in the registry and
get the fixes if you care to. It will be supported until at
least 2019.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:52:50PM -0600, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
But the question is: How long was it between the time that WinXP
was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Geoffrey Thomas
 

The xp on atms is a stripped down version and doesn't have the likes of IE with all it's security shortcomings. There are a few other exploit channels ( which I can't remember) which have been stripped out, too.

On 08/02/2016 23:09, Paul Amaranth paul@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Since XP is in uncounted ATMs, it is actually still supported for
security fixes. You can change an entry in the registry and
get the fixes if you care to. It will be supported until at
least 2019.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:52:50PM -0600, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
But the question is: How long was it between the time that WinXP
was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Geoffrey Thomas
 

For the moment perhaps, but the home users are going the way of subscription slowly

https://products.office.com/en-gb/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products

Office 365 for business seems to be subscription only with these plans

https://products.office.com/en-gb/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans

On 08/02/2016 22:36, 'Dennis Tillman' @Dennis_Tillman_W7PF [TekScopes] wrote:
Hi Geoff,
Not true.
Office 2016 is out in subscription form or in full retail form just like
Office 2013.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 08, 2016 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

<snip>
It may be free now, but office has already gone subscription....
Geoff.

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Paul Amaranth
 

Since XP is in uncounted ATMs, it is actually still supported for
security fixes. You can change an entry in the registry and
get the fixes if you care to. It will be supported until at
least 2019.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 04:52:50PM -0600, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
But the question is: How long was it between the time that WinXP
was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich

On 2/8/2016 4:44 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

WIN XP was officially supported up until April 2014 (12 years after
initial release) this was 5 years after WIN-7 was released in 2009.
There was a lot of pressure to get rid of the crash prone XP platform.
WIN 7 on the other hand was lauded for it crash free nature. I cant
remember the last time I saw the "blue screen of death"

IMO WIN-8 is to WIN-10 as VISTA was to WIN-7 . '
I have no doubt WIN-10 will survive its puberty and become a solid
player someday .Giving WIN10 away is genius where else are you going to
recruit 110 million beta testers for free. It is an interesting gamble
on MS part

Dave
NR1DX

On 2/8/2016 5:15 PM, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@...
[TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
How long was it between the time that WinXP was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 4:01 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

IMO .if history is any indication WIN-7 will be supported for at least
another 3-5 years

Just last week , I had to take my WIN-XP laptop out of mothballs
because
WIN-7/PRO/64 wouldn't run a 16bit DOS based application I needed for a
piece of legacy hardware

If your only running MS based software (Word, IE, Xcel, etc) then go
ahead if you have a piece of non MS software you truly love , I would
contact the developer to see if it is supported in WIN-10 before I
went
that way
Dave
NR1DX
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com








!DSPAM:56b91b6535251367014616!
--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
Aurora Group, Inc. | Security, Systems & Software
paul@... | Unix & Windows

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

Richard R. Pope
 

Dave,
But the question is: How long was it between the time that WinXP
was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich

On 2/8/2016 4:44 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

WIN XP was officially supported up until April 2014 (12 years after
initial release) this was 5 years after WIN-7 was released in 2009.
There was a lot of pressure to get rid of the crash prone XP platform.
WIN 7 on the other hand was lauded for it crash free nature. I cant
remember the last time I saw the "blue screen of death"

IMO WIN-8 is to WIN-10 as VISTA was to WIN-7 . '
I have no doubt WIN-10 will survive its puberty and become a solid
player someday .Giving WIN10 away is genius where else are you going to
recruit 110 million beta testers for free. It is an interesting gamble
on MS part

Dave
NR1DX

On 2/8/2016 5:15 PM, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@...
[TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
How long was it between the time that WinXP was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 4:01 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:

IMO .if history is any indication WIN-7 will be supported for at least
another 3-5 years

Just last week , I had to take my WIN-XP laptop out of mothballs
because
WIN-7/PRO/64 wouldn't run a 16bit DOS based application I needed for a
piece of legacy hardware

If your only running MS based software (Word, IE, Xcel, etc) then go
ahead if you have a piece of non MS software you truly love , I would
contact the developer to see if it is supported in WIN-10 before I
went
that way
Dave
NR1DX
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com


Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

ArtekManuals
 

WIN XP was officially supported up until April 2014 (12 years after initial release) this was 5 years after WIN-7 was released in 2009. There was a lot of pressure to get rid of the crash prone XP platform. WIN 7 on the other hand was lauded for it crash free nature. I cant remember the last time I saw the "blue screen of death"

IMO WIN-8 is to WIN-10 as VISTA was to WIN-7 . '
I have no doubt WIN-10 will survive its puberty and become a solid player someday .Giving WIN10 away is genius where else are you going to recruit 110 million beta testers for free. It is an interesting gamble on MS part

Dave
NR1DX

On 2/8/2016 5:15 PM, 'Richard R. Pope' mechanic_2@... [TekScopes] wrote:
Dave,
How long was it between the time that WinXP was no longer available
to the OEMs and the time that MS discontinued complete support for it?
Thanks,
rich!

On 2/8/2016 4:01 PM, Artek Manuals manuals@... [TekScopes]
wrote:
>
> IMO .if history is any indication WIN-7 will be supported for at least
> another 3-5 years
>
> Just last week , I had to take my WIN-XP laptop out of mothballs because
> WIN-7/PRO/64 wouldn't run a 16bit DOS based application I needed for a
> piece of legacy hardware
>
> If your only running MS based software (Word, IE, Xcel, etc) then go
> ahead if you have a piece of non MS software you truly love , I would
> contact the developer to see if it is supported in WIN-10 before I went
> that way
> Dave
> NR1DX
--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Re: OT: Win 8.1 and 10?

 

Rich,

When you have a mostly closed system it is easy to make pretty much
> everything compatible.
That's Apple's stance, except their "everything" isn't what everybody considers "everything".

My point was like yours: Microsoft has done a reasonable job, given the diversity of hardware and software. I think they're trying to bring the environment more under control by teaming up with manufacturers like in the article.referred to.

Raymond