Date   

Re: Tektronix 2230

satbeginner
 

Hi Saroy,

In the light of some comments on this thread, I first want to express my respect for your perseverance in trying getting this Tektronix 2230 scope repaired :-)

Back to the topic on hand: you confirmed the setting (of the scope?) is to use a 1x probe, but the values I see in the pictures are all about 10 times too low...

Anyway, your picture "voltage at testpoint 45 with respect to tp940.jpg" is now showing the 5V/Div, so that is now spot-on.

However, your last picture "gate voltage ground tip connected to tp940.jpg" is showing the weird voltage again.

I suspect you DO use a 10x probe, but the readout somehow does not know this.

We're you able the measure the FET's temperature yet?

Saludos,

Leo


Re: AWG2021 Sample Waveform Library

Szabolcs Szigeti
 

Hi,

I'll be very much interested in it. I also have a recently resurrected
2021.

Szabolcs


Martin Hodge <mhodge@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. aug. 4., K,
4:32):

After having repaired on of these units I was searching all over for the
sample waveform disk (P/N 063-2169-00) or even just the files from the
disk. Recently I finally found one on eBay and verified it's contents to be
valid. I have a 52kB ZIP of the disk available to post here or on tekwiki
barring any legal issues. Let me know.




OT: Tek equipment appropriate to measure Super Capacitors accurately ?

garp66
 

hi,

Apologies in advance, if Not appropriate:

Is it ok to ask the experts in this forum:
-- What Tek equipment & methods could be used, for the accurate measurements of Super Capacitors ?

For Capacitance, ESR, Leakage, & Discharge
(function, failure and longevity) ?
Does anyone have any experience, tips or notes in this area ?

I am asking about * High Power * Super Capacitors, the type to be used in eV & green energy storage applications.

Some of these units can be from 300 to 3000 Farads.

Maxwell web link:
https://www.maxwell.com/images/documents/1007239-EN_test_procedures_technote.pdf

rick


Re: Why would you do this?

Dave Seiter
 

Ebay has been taking a shipping cut for years (not sure how long, probably around 2012?).  I stopped selling scopes because of that, as $120 shipping on an item that might sell for $35 isn't worth the effort (and properly boxing up Tek scopes requires effort!)
-Dave

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 01:54:55 PM PDT, David Berlind <david@...> wrote:

I would say that while it's true that not ALL ebay sellers are padding
their revenue through exorbitant shipping fees, the pattern is bad enough
from eBay's perspective that the shipping cost is now included in eBay's
math for the cut it takes from a sale. This used to not be the case and was
almost certainly a response to sellers gaming the system. I remember going
on eBay and seeing things that I was interested in for exceedingly low Buy
it Now prices. Then, I became hip to how the sellers were making it up on
the shipping price because eBay wasn't taking a cut of that. Well, now they
do. For documentation, the shipping should be super cheap thanks to USPS
media mail.


On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 4:23 PM Dave Seiter <d.seiter@...> wrote:

  Ebay sellers most certainly do not all "make some money" on packaging and
shipping!  In fact, since ebay final value includes any shipping cost, they
are actually losing money on shipping unless they are hugely padding the
shipping amount (and some do, but it seems to mostly be brick and mortar
stores with an additional ebay storefront that do so, and the people who
think their $20 item is worth $300).
I never pad the cost of shipping, charge for materials (unless the buyer
wants something specific that I don't already have), and I refund excess
shipping fees when they occur (if more than a few cents).  That's usually
due to a listing with fixed shipping that gets purchased by someone local.
I also never use stock photos- like you say, it's asking for trouble unless
the item is still shrink wrapped.
-Dave
    On Monday, August 3, 2020, 12:51:04 PM PDT, Roy Thistle <
roy.thistle@...> wrote:

  On Sat, Aug  1, 2020 at 09:58 AM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:


So why would he want to take additional photos for a manual he is
selling for
$15.00. I thinking he is doing any member who has a P6042 probe a favor
by
offering it at all.
Hi Dennis:
It's refreshing to read your post... since I tend to be cynical about Ebay
sellers (and Crag's List et. al. sellers too.)
IMHO 20USD is a good bit! (lt's more than millions, maybe 10s of millions
of Americans make in an hour, or even 2 hours.) Thus, for a few minutes
work, the seller probably made about  20.00USD. Not Bad, for something
he/she got from a dumpster! The seller made some money on the
shipping/packing too!... they always do! And, the seller already has an
Ebay store... selling toy ships, and shoes, and candle wax... even selling
tomatoes, but not kings.
Ebay has copious warnings about buying items based on cropped, or single
photos, or even stock photos... and though I am not a Ebay seller..listing
items, with such pics, leaves a seller wide open for someone to file a
case  against them, for "not as shown/described."
Lastly, how much time does it take to push the camera button, a couple
more times, to get good documentation!... and why don't some sellers do
that?
Best regards and wishes.
Roy






Re: Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

tn_tucker@bellsouth.net
 

Dennis, I enjoy the knowledge I gain from this conversion and would like it to continue. A lot of us feel the same. Thank you Tom Tucker  W4TUC

On Monday, August 3, 2020, 10:26:16 PM EDT, Dick <w1ksz@...> wrote:

I hesitated to speak out, but ... I found the posts to be interesting and
informative.

73, Dick, W1KSZ
________________________________
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 6:55 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

Dennis,

Are you serious?  Why is the 2230 not worthy of long threads,
but every damn thing else is?

Yes, it is  bit of a chit/chat fest, but the messages all seem
to me on topic.  Bandwidth (ha ha!) is minimal, perhaps less
than 40K for the entire thread.

I admit that I care nothing for the 2230, but others do.

So, why?

-Chuck Harris



Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
Gentlemen:
You are creating an excessive amount of unnecessary message traffic, consuming significant bandwidth, and taking up precious storage on TekScopes.
I believe the best way for you to explore your mutual interests regarding the 2230 is to communicate directly to each other rather than through TekScopes.
If you need further assistance please contact me directly.
Thank you,
Dennis Tillman W7pF





AWG2021 Sample Waveform Library

Martin Hodge
 

After having repaired on of these units I was searching all over for the sample waveform disk (P/N 063-2169-00) or even just the files from the disk. Recently I finally found one on eBay and verified it's contents to be valid. I have a 52kB ZIP of the disk available to post here or on tekwiki barring any legal issues. Let me know.


Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

jslcanuck
 

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 04:33 PM, vhdlman wrote:

For manuals related to test equipment (including logic analyzers), I usually
start looking at bitsavers.org and to a lesser extent at w140.com/tekwiki. I
think I would find it very convenient to upload logic analyzer related files
here than elsewhere; at the present time, such files may appear to be
out-of-place.
Absolutely - Al's got a great resource there, but he can be spread a little thin
because he takes everything and (I suspect) doesn't have enough time to vet
it all. And hearing recently from him that TI was busting his chops over their
stuff being there was a shock. I'd forgotten about w140.com - that certainly
looks like a good place to pinch some useful stuff from.

Can't wait to see what you have to contribute!

Jonathan


Re: Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

Dick
 

I hesitated to speak out, but ... I found the posts to be interesting and
informative.

73, Dick, W1KSZ
________________________________
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2020 6:55 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

Dennis,

Are you serious? Why is the 2230 not worthy of long threads,
but every damn thing else is?

Yes, it is bit of a chit/chat fest, but the messages all seem
to me on topic. Bandwidth (ha ha!) is minimal, perhaps less
than 40K for the entire thread.

I admit that I care nothing for the 2230, but others do.

So, why?

-Chuck Harris



Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:
Gentlemen:
You are creating an excessive amount of unnecessary message traffic, consuming significant bandwidth, and taking up precious storage on TekScopes.
I believe the best way for you to explore your mutual interests regarding the 2230 is to communicate directly to each other rather than through TekScopes.
If you need further assistance please contact me directly.
Thank you,
Dennis Tillman W7pF





Re: Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

Chuck Harris
 

Dennis,

Are you serious? Why is the 2230 not worthy of long threads,
but every damn thing else is?

Yes, it is bit of a chit/chat fest, but the messages all seem
to me on topic. Bandwidth (ha ha!) is minimal, perhaps less
than 40K for the entire thread.

I admit that I care nothing for the 2230, but others do.

So, why?

-Chuck Harris



Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Gentlemen:
You are creating an excessive amount of unnecessary message traffic, consuming significant bandwidth, and taking up precious storage on TekScopes.
I believe the best way for you to explore your mutual interests regarding the 2230 is to communicate directly to each other rather than through TekScopes.
If you need further assistance please contact me directly.
Thank you,
Dennis Tillman W7pF





Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

jslcanuck
 

Then let's get the party started.

https://groups.io/g/logicanalyzers

I wanna see how fast we can hit that 1G file allocation with manuals and software.


Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group?

jslcanuck
 

Of course; we understand the evolution of the technology and the industry, but
there are as many valid (and often personal) reasons for wanting to run this old
stuff as there were for that abandoment. Rather than continue the debate here,
though, what the hell...

I was going to hold off annoucing until I'd gotten it a little better established, but
I might as well come out now, while a few people are interested. I've created the
group "Logic Analyzers" at https://groups.io/g/logicanalyzers

At the moment it's right out of the box, so please be patient while the usual setup
bugs get worked out.

I also want to be clear on one thing: ALL MAKES, ALL DIGITAL DEVELOPMENT
AND DEBUG EQUIPMENT. No brand snobbery. Logic analyzers, emulators
(another category completely unrepresented, and hard as hell to find anything on
them), signature analyzers, the lot. At this point I'd say "Everthing except device
programmers", because I don't want to poach those from the Data I/O group, which
is fabulous and where we make room for other makes too.

Also, regarding the old Yahoo Tektronix Logic Analyzers group that only has a
placeholder here: I've had a number of conversations with John, the group's
owner, and he's indicated that it failed to transition to groups.io because of the
cost involved, but that he has the archive. I've offered whatever assistance I
can muster to recover the archive's content (at no cost) so that it can make its
way to his groups.io group. What happens with that group (and content) relative
to this new one is a conversation we can have later.

So, folks, BRING IT! Let's get the forum rolling, and I can't wait to see how fast we
can fill up that 1gig allocation with manuals and software!

Jonathan


Preventing SPAM from new members

 

Prior to the SPAMMER I accepted and approved as a member a few weeks ago
anyone who wanted to post a message to TekScopes had to be approved by me. I
read each of their pending messages to be sure they passed my "smell" test.
If they did, then I approved them as a member and unmoderated them at the
same time.
Unfortunately spammers are now getting better at hiding their intentions and
it is becoming harder to separate them from legitimate future members.
From this point forward I will no longer be un-moderating new members
automatically. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause
new members.
Thanks to the member who alerted me to that spammer he was immediately
banned, all of his posts were removed, and all of the posts by others in
response the topic(s) he initiated were removed.

Dennis Tillman W7pF


OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group?

 

There was a Tek Logic Analyzer Group on Yahoo.
I was very excited when I found it several years ago and I joined it only to discover that there was very little activity. I suspect that when it was first formed there was a significant amount of interest and activity. I was disappointed when it seemed that over time members lost interest for a variety of reasons.

I suspect there are many reasons why that happened such as:
1) The logic analyzer business is very risky because development costs are very high, product lifetimes are short, potential market size is small, and product delays can result in a useless product.
2) CPU technology evolves at a lightning pace and CPU speeds are so fast hardware can't possibly keep up.
3) Tek got out of the market long ago (wisely).
4) There are cheaper alternatives.

Personally I still enjoy connecting 8-bit and 16-bit CPUs to logic analyzers which is how I learned a great deal about computers back in the late 1970s when I built my first personal computer.

I would love to see a new forum created on Groups.io for Tek Logic Analyzers.
Dennis Tillman W7pF




--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator


Re: FG502

Harvey White
 

Eh bien, mon ami, c'est la guerre.... <grin>

Harvey

On 8/3/2020 6:23 PM, Renée wrote:
Bill , I should not reply but that is funny all because I placed an e at the end of detent.....c'est la vie .
they do just fine andbehave if I have a dmm or pg between them. 503 is always trying to bully the others!

Renée


On 8/3/20 3:07 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:
    Damn,that shoulda been:

What, they don't get along with each other ?  :-)

    Brain Glitch Bill


my FG501, 501A and FG503 no detente, most likely same on the 2
    What, they get along with each other ?  :-)

Renee
    Bill @ PEARL, Inc.




7834 Missing Trace

sdferg7@...
 

Hello,

I recently purchased a 7834 in mostly working order, the only issue the seller listed was that the left vertical slot was not working for unknown reasons. I got it home and powered it up and it seemed to work as described. I only had about half an hour to play with it that night so I didn't give it a super thorough shake-down. The next day I pulled out the right horizontal plugin to see how the mechanism worked, as the other plugins are missing pull tabs. When I put it back in and powered it up, I found I had no trace. The readout still displays but disappears when set to gated mode. I tried adjusting the intensity and using the beam finder, neither helped. I opened it up and checked all the labeled voltage points I could find, all were good.

Any advice on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane


Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

Paul Birkel <pbirkel@...>
 

+1 from this interested bystander :->.

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of jslcanuck
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2020 11:48 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

Egge:

*Finally* the right answer! Thank you very much, and the price on these is right, so I'm stocking up.

All:

As David pointed out, what started as a small question kind of exploded, so I'd like to reorient it for
just a moment. Whether there's a need for a *discussion* forum is open to endless (and, probably,
increasingly tedious) debate, and the conversations will (it's reasonable to speculate) range across
a spectrum between "tool itself" and "application", I think we can agree. 'Nuff said on that point.

So perhaps I should have been a little clearer: My experience in the other group I alluded to (which
I share with David) is that the forum proper isn't enough; to a very large extent it's about the "files"
section, which has become its centerpiece. We've amassed a considerable archive of the user
manuals, software, firmware images, and schematics necessary not only for using and maintaining,
but augmenting those systems. Users are replicating (otherwise-unavailable or expensive) component
modules thanks to the collective effort to gather documentation *and* reverse-engineer.

While I'm not suggesting anyone's going to go *that* far wrt analyzers, if you pick something up at
a smokin' deal (dead or alive) and want to get some use out of it, there oughta be a central repository
for all its related material. No manuals? Got 'em. Bad firmware? Download an image and burn your
own replacements - and maybe upgrade to latest rev while you're at it. And the reason to make it
general (rather than manufacturer-specific) is that (to the best of my knowledge, at least) the previous
efforts to create and/or sustain an exclusive group (in this case *Tek* analyzers) have flopped or stalled.

So let's go another way. We can toe-chew the usefulness of such a group endlessly, but it's going to
be more informative to actually *try* and see what happens.

Jonathan


Re: OT - Any interest in starting a Tektronix Logic Analyzer Group? (with added bonus question!)

vhdlman
 

For manuals related to test equipment (including logic analyzers), I usually start looking at bitsavers.org and to a lesser extent at w140.com/tekwiki. I think I would find it very convenient to upload logic analyzer related files here than elsewhere; at the present time, such files may appear to be out-of-place.


Message to satbeginner and Saroj Pradhan re: Tektronix 2230

 

Gentlemen:
You are creating an excessive amount of unnecessary message traffic, consuming significant bandwidth, and taking up precious storage on TekScopes.
I believe the best way for you to explore your mutual interests regarding the 2230 is to communicate directly to each other rather than through TekScopes.
If you need further assistance please contact me directly.
Thank you,
Dennis Tillman W7pF





--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator


Re: FG502

Stephen
 

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM, Renée wrote:


Bill , I should not reply but that is funny all because I placed an e at
the end of detent.....c'est la vie .
Yes you did!
My bad, though. I forgot to correct my spell checker (how weird does that sound!!)


Re: 2432A Chan Delay adjustment

victor.silva
 

Looking up the specs for the PG506 from the manual available online shows that the fast rise output has a risetime of 1ns or better.
I think the max is about 1V and 1 MHz should be fine.

--Victor