Date   

Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Don Black <donald_black@...>
 

My comments were about the same window, different tabs.

Don Black.

On 28-Sep-13 2:06 AM, Garey Barrell wrote:
 

Don -

I have Acrobat 8 and Reader XI, and both open multiple copies using the 'newly learned' [New Window] trick. Cool!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Don Black wrote:
>
>
> I have Adobe Acrobat 7 and Foxit 2.2 . I can only open one copy of a document at a time as described with Acrobat but
> can have multiple copies open with Foxit (I have three open at the moment).
>
> Don Black.
>
> On 27-Sep-13 10:58 PM, David Holland wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@... > wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> ArtekManuals comments interspersed below
>>
>> On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
>>> screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
>>> because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
>> /The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to
>> open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only
>> allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is
>> a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and
>> 7633-osm-1.pdf) both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side
>> by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth./
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)
>>
>> You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done
>> via the File menu.
>>
>> Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual. Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window". You get a 2nd
>> window w/ the same document.
>>
>> I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.
>>
>>
>>
>> As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability. Paper for actual perusal.
>> Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.
>>
>> David
>



Re: Firts scope, Tektronix 465 repair and restoration

vitor pinto
 

Hi dave.

Yes you are right, range is 5mV/div to 5V/div. sorry my mistake. what I mean is that amplitode is incorrect. eg the signal should appear with three divisions height but only appears with 2 divisions.



---In TekScopes@..., <tekscopes@...> wrote:

I am confused about what you mean by "0.5V to 50V". The vertical attenuator
settings are 5mV/div to 5V/div.

When you say that channel 1 is off by "one division", do you mean that the
position is shifting as you change attenuator settings or that the amplitude is
incorrect?

On 26 Sep 2013 10:50:56 -0700, you wrote:

>Recently managed to get my hands on an old Tektronix 465 which has some problems, on CH1 volts\div from 0.5V to 50V range does not show the waveform.
>The problem appear after several hours around components of CH1 an attenuator was the cause of the problem. I managed to get the attenuator and two knobs who were missing from a supplier in greece in very good price.
>Now the entire range of Volt \ Div are working and the input signal is shown very clearly and stable in both channels, but now I have the signal on channel 1 showing out off calibration on the vertical position in about one division. I downloaded the manual to help me in the calibration process, but the pot from CH1 Gain was already at maximum, so the preoblema is being caused by another component. In an attempt to find the culprit I swapped the transistors of CH1 by CH2 but without effect, now I'm stuck with no idea what might be causing the problem
>I appreciate all the help given, and I apologize for my poor english.


Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Garey Barrell <k4oah@...>
 

Don -

I have Acrobat 8 and Reader XI, and both open multiple copies using the 'newly learned' [New Window] trick. Cool!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Don Black wrote:



I have Adobe Acrobat 7 and Foxit 2.2 . I can only open one copy of a document at a time as described with Acrobat but can have multiple copies open with Foxit (I have three open at the moment).

Don Black.

On 27-Sep-13 10:58 PM, David Holland wrote:
<Comments below>

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@artekmanuals.com <mailto:manuals@artekmanuals.com>> wrote:



ArtekManuals comments interspersed below

On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:

<SNIP>



It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
/The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to
open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only
allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is
a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and
7633-osm-1.pdf) both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side
by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth./

<SNIP>


That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)

You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done via the File menu.

Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual. Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window". You get a 2nd window w/ the same document.

I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.

<All that being said, I don't disagree Adobe is kind of a piggy PDF reader, especially with 50+Mb files, on a tablet>

As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability. Paper for actual perusal. Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.

David


Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Don Black <donald_black@...>
 

I have Adobe Acrobat 7 and Foxit 2.2 . I can only open one copy of a document at a time as described with Acrobat but can have multiple copies open with Foxit (I have three open at the moment).

Don Black.

On 27-Sep-13 10:58 PM, David Holland wrote:
 


On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@...> wrote:


ArtekManuals comments interspersed below

On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
 



It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and 7633-osm-1.pdf)   both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth.

 


That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)

You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done via the File menu.

Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual.     Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window".   You get a 2nd window w/ the same document.

I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.


 
As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability.  Paper for actual perusal.  Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.

David


Re: NEO - Open a list of sequential posts?

Knut <knut@...>
 


On 2013-09-27, at 1:41 AM, <acuffe@...> wrote:

 

It takes several clicks just to expand a thread so that you can see all the posts..


In the old format one could open a group of about 30 sequential posts (not threads) at once and read all of them by scrolling down on the page.

Can't seem to figure out how to do this with NEO - is that still possible and if so, how?

Knut

------------


Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Dave / NR1DX
 

On 9/27/2013 7:58 AM, David Holland wrote:
 


On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@...> wrote:


ArtekManuals comments interspersed below

On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
 



It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and 7633-osm-1.pdf)   both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth.

 


That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)

You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done via the File menu.

Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual.     Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window".   You get a 2nd window w/ the same document.

I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.


 
As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability.  Paper for actual perusal.  Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.

David





( just sent this but something in the new Y!/neo cut the text ...try again)

Cool on the "New Window" learn something every day ......thanks for the tip !!!

As a side note you apparently can only add a "Sticky Note" in the parent window. The added sticky note appears in the slave window immediately however.

Dave
ArtekManuals
-- 
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com


Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Dave / NR1DX
 

On 9/27/2013 7:58 AM, David Holland wrote:
 


On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@...> wrote:


ArtekManuals comments interspersed below

On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
 



It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and 7633-osm-1.pdf)   both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth.

 


That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)

You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done via the File menu.

Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual.     Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window".   You get a 2nd window w/ the same document.

I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.


 
As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability.  Paper for actual perusal.  Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.

David


-- 
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com


Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

David Holland
 



On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@...> wrote:


ArtekManuals comments interspersed below

On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
 



It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
because I frequently want to look at several pages at once

The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and 7633-osm-1.pdf)   both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth.

 


That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)

You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done via the File menu.

Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual.     Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window".   You get a 2nd window w/ the same document.

I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.


 
As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability.  Paper for actual perusal.  Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.

David


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text

Shirley Dulcey KE1L
 

The ads and web bugs don't work in most current HTML email clients because they have image loading turned off by default. (I know this is true of both Thunderbird and all versions of Gmail - web and apps.) Even the blinking text often doesn't work, as some clients also ignore the tag. There is a bandwidth penalty for HTML mail - the markup takes up some space - but for most of us it is negligible if image loading is suppressed. Attachments can still take up lots of space but text email can also have those.

If you're worried about bandwidth, go after web sites that include video ads that auto-play. Now there is a bandwidth hog.


On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:46 AM, machine guy <machineguy59@...> wrote:
 

________________________________
From: David I. Emery <die@...>
To: TekScopes@...
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Folks, PLEASE use plain text



On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:58:30AM -0500, David wrote:
> I usually only access the forum via email and I almost never see HTML.  Is this
> problem showing up with received emails or through the web interface?

What I am seeing here is a very marked increase in yahoogroup
reflected email messages that arrive with just HTML MIME components and
no matching plain text part.   These show up as blank content-less
messages for those with just plain text mail readers without any kind of
HTML rendering configured - at least somehow.

MAC Replies,
I see many empty messages on the group web page.  In those cases, it appears that NEO has stripped the entire message content and rendered a blank message, yet still placed it in the "Conversation".  I get a few blank messages here in my email client, even though Yahoo enables HTML by default.  When that happens I go to the group web page and often the message is also blank there.  More often, if the message is blank at the group page it is never forwarded to me.  So Yahoo is stripping the message content before it goes anywhere and sometimes just tosses the forwarded message because its content has been stripped.
 
This leaves me wondering if the same messages are posted at all Yahoo servers.  It is entirely possible that content is stripped for one group of users but intact for others.  I am not convinced its due to HTML handling.  But, frankly, I am guessing at why this is such a mess in the first place.

        
         • • •



Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text

 

________________________________
From: David I. Emery <die@dieconsulting.com>
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Folks, PLEASE use plain text



On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:58:30AM -0500, David wrote:
I usually only access the forum via email and I almost never see HTML.  Is this
problem showing up with received emails or through the web interface?
What I am seeing here is a very marked increase in yahoogroup
reflected email messages that arrive with just HTML MIME components and
no matching plain text part.   These show up as blank content-less
messages for those with just plain text mail readers without any kind of
HTML rendering configured - at least somehow.

MAC Replies,
I see many empty messages on the group web page.  In those cases, it appears that NEO has stripped the entire message content and rendered a blank message, yet still placed it in the "Conversation".  I get a few blank messages here in my email client, even though Yahoo enables HTML by default.  When that happens I go to the group web page and often the message is also blank there.  More often, if the message is blank at the group page it is never forwarded to me.  So Yahoo is stripping the message content before it goes anywhere and sometimes just tosses the forwarded message because its content has been stripped.
 
This leaves me wondering if the same messages are posted at all Yahoo servers.  It is entirely possible that content is stripped for one group of users but intact for others.  I am not convinced its due to HTML handling.  But, frankly, I am guessing at why this is such a mess in the first place.

        
         • • •


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text. Is the tail wagging the dog?

stefan_trethan
 

I'd rather read about scopes in HTML than about HTML or NEO in plain text.

'nough said.

ST


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text. Is the tail wagging the dog?

 

The problem doesn't come about because some show off wants to one up everyone and use HTML.  The problem comes about because HTML is the DEFAULT conveyance for many mail systems and is understood by nearly all mail clients.  In fact, the new NEO defaults to HTML.  My Yahoo web based email client defaults to HTML.  The switch from HTML to plain text is not so obvious to many Yahoo users.  So it isn't done to irritate anyone.  Its done when people (including me) use the system that was presented to them (us).  In other words: "We dance with the one who brung us."
 
I was able to write this message in plain text because I sought and found the few clicks it takes to switch so you can read my reply.  But its important to note that I wont always be able to make that switch (the NEO web interface has a very strong enforcement of HTML) and I apologize when I cannot or when I forget to over ride Yahoo's system settings.
 
As for there being no value for HTML in an "adult technical discussion", I take strong exception.  One huge advantage to HTML is that each member of a round table can use a different color font so a discussion can be interwoven and still readable.  A lesser advantage is the ability to underline, highlight, or embolden  key words instead of using capitals or lots of dashes.  It is very difficult to quote text from other sources (Tek manuals?) with only plain text.  We used this advantage many times in my professional career and I assure you, we were adults and it was sophisticated technical discussion.  I use these advantages on other message boards, and in private correspondence with members of TekScopes group.  But its not necessary or possible when other members of the discussion are not able.  So, again, I try to stick with plain text, with no promises.
 
Finally, why is this such an important issue?  To how many people?  In 20 years of on-line exchanges I have never seen a virus or Trojan enter my system via HTML. In all the boards I participate, especially this one, HTML is transmitted correctly (just randomly late since NEO).  If Yahoo decides to embed ads or tracking cookies in our messages they will, plain text or not.  And if they cannot embed their hooks they will force us to use a path whereby they can.  The switch to NEO has proven to me that we have no choice but to carry their water or leave their house.  The only good news is that right now we have a few choices.  Lets make good ones.
 
________________________________
From: Glenn Little WB4UIV <glennmaillist@bellsouth.net>
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Folks, PLEASE use plain text. Is the tail  wagging the dog?




I have receives messages with all of the LF/CR stripped out because
some server in the distribution path was set up wrong.
I have received messages that have code displayed for the fancy
characters because some server in the path did not treat the
characters correctly.
The solution to the problem is to use text.
Everything (I hope!!) correctly relays it.
All email clients know how to treat text.
Leaves nothing to chance.
The problem occurs when someone gets a new HTML book and tries to
show off with the new stuff that they think that they learned.
Use text, everyone can read it and it uses less band width, it
archives nicely, can easily be searched and did I say it takes less bandwidth?

People complain about not trimming messages, a lot more bandwidth is
uses with HTML than not trimming messages.

Glenn

At 10:36 PM 9/26/2013, you wrote:
Larry,

I reply in whatever format the original post was in, and other than that I
don't have a preference. Thousands of members are reading this using dozens
of different email clients. When the majority of members prefer all posts be
in plain text I will be among the majority.

Until that time each member needs to make whatever accommodations are
required if they want the benefits of group membership. I'm sure you have
good reasons for your choice of email client but choices frequently come
with consequences pro and con.

As nicely as I can say it, I think it is unreasonable to request that the
rest of us adjust our behavior to accommodate your choice of email client.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: larrys@teamlarry.com, Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:40 PM

...to add my voice to Dave P's.

Y! has forgotten how to strip markup tags, so thay no longer offer plain
text mail.  My mail client _by intent_ won't do html.
I'm sure Dave and I aren't the only ones.

thanx,
-ls-




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links


        
          • • •


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text

Dave Emery
 

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:58:30AM -0500, David wrote:
I usually only access the forum via email and I almost never see HTML. Is this
problem showing up with received emails or through the web interface?
What I am seeing here is a very marked increase in yahoogroup
reflected email messages that arrive with just HTML MIME components and
no matching plain text part. These show up as blank content-less
messages for those with just plain text mail readers without any kind of
HTML rendering configured - at least somehow.

All of them DO contain valid HTML content and can be read that
way with an HTML rendering MUA if one wishes to.

This started when NEO went on line for groups around late August
or early Sept. Before that time there were very few of these. This
problem effects many groups, and seems the same for all of them.

There was a brief transitional period where a significant number
of plain text messages showed up here with many embedded escaped HTML
markup sequences inserted and some of the paragraph and line spacing
stripped. This made those messages almost unreadable in plain text, but
at least one COULD determine what was said with effort. A couple of
weeks later the garbled unstripped HTML escaped format disappeared only
to have HTML only substituted for it - which renders as blank messages
for plain text only mailers such as mutt.

I have not personally attempted to determine exactly why this is
happening; it may be that folks sending messages by using the Yahoo
webpage interface under NEO to compose them are not generating the down
converted plain text version any more (a defect of NEO), or it may be
that yahoo is no longer supplying down converted plain text versions of
HTML only email it receives as input and reflects.

I suspect that it is probably true that NEO users using the
Yahoo webpage composer to compose mail no longer - by default - generate
down converted plain text versions of their postings as a part of the
MIME message any more... but I have not tried any actual experiments to
verify this.

In either case it is truly annoying, and to this cynical old man
seems a deliberate attempt to make reading yahoogroups with plain text
only email tools so annoying that use of these with yahoogroups will die
out, forcing HTML rendering mailers on all of us - even those who read
yahoogroups as individual emails. And clearly it is in Yahoo's
business interests to force HTML and end plain text because this ensures
that the ads, obnoxious screen filling animated drek, and web bugs work
- plus of course whatever other tracking tools are invoked by all the
html.


--
Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@dieconsulting.com DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
"An empty zombie mind with a forlorn barely readable weatherbeaten
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in
celebration of what could have been, but wasn't and is not to be now either."


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text. Is the tail wagging the dog?

Glenn Little
 

I have receives messages with all of the LF/CR stripped out because some server in the distribution path was set up wrong.
I have received messages that have code displayed for the fancy characters because some server in the path did not treat the characters correctly.
The solution to the problem is to use text.
Everything (I hope!!) correctly relays it.
All email clients know how to treat text.
Leaves nothing to chance.
The problem occurs when someone gets a new HTML book and tries to show off with the new stuff that they think that they learned.
Use text, everyone can read it and it uses less band width, it archives nicely, can easily be searched and did I say it takes less bandwidth?

People complain about not trimming messages, a lot more bandwidth is uses with HTML than not trimming messages.

Glenn

At 10:36 PM 9/26/2013, you wrote:
Larry,

I reply in whatever format the original post was in, and other than that I
don't have a preference. Thousands of members are reading this using dozens
of different email clients. When the majority of members prefer all posts be
in plain text I will be among the majority.

Until that time each member needs to make whatever accommodations are
required if they want the benefits of group membership. I'm sure you have
good reasons for your choice of email client but choices frequently come
with consequences pro and con.

As nicely as I can say it, I think it is unreasonable to request that the
rest of us adjust our behavior to accommodate your choice of email client.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: larrys@teamlarry.com, Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:40 PM

...to add my voice to Dave P's.

Y! has forgotten how to strip markup tags, so thay no longer offer plain
text mail. My mail client _by intent_ won't do html.
I'm sure Dave and I aren't the only ones.

thanx,
-ls-




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text

Glenn Little
 

I do not do HTML and hate it.
Messages are text, not fancy fonts, colors, sizes and pictures.
HTML takes excessive bandwi&#92;dth that is not needed for a text message.

thanks
73
Glenn

At 09:40 PM 9/26/2013, you wrote:
...to add my voice to Dave P's.

Y! has forgotten how to strip markup tags, so thay no longer offer
plain text mail. My mail client _by intent_ won't do html.
I'm sure Dave and I aren't the only ones.

thanx,
-ls-



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



Re: Tektronix 2465BDM Calibration Help

 

I have done horizontal calibration using a function generator and frequency
counter to replace a time mark generator at least up to the minimum period of
the function generator. I have a Tektronix 184 now though which I am
refurbishing.

This is a very good application for an arbitrary function generator or DDS
synthesizer that can produce low frequency square waves or impulses.

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 06:11:29 -0000, you wrote:

I did the DCA calibration doing basic Ohm's Law :). The power supply was digital so it was tricky to adjust the resistor values to get the right currents. I don't have a variac, may be I should buy one as it should be useful for some performance testing. I bid on a them a couple of times but when the prices start to go crazy I give up. The Sencore units look interesting. With a Fluke 5100 series I imagine that calibration would be a piece of cake, just plug the values and you're done. I assume that with a transformer with a 5 to 1 ratio I can generate 500 volt. May be one from an old computer power supply? I have a few dead ones.
The Arb Generator is a Berkeley Nucleonics 625A. I used a negative exponential signal. I posted some pictures:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/photos/album/1871970004/pic/list

I added some pictures of the repaired damage on the A5 board. All the SMD Electrolytics had leaked and corrosion started propagating to other components.


Re: Tektronix 2465BDM Calibration Help

lazystrings
 

I did the DCA calibration doing basic Ohm's Law :). The power supply was digital so it was tricky to adjust the resistor values to get the right currents. I don't have a variac, may be I should buy one as it should be useful for some performance testing. I bid on a them a couple of times but when the prices start to go crazy I give up. The Sencore units look interesting. With a Fluke 5100 series I imagine that calibration would be a piece of cake, just plug the values and you're done. I assume that with a transformer with a 5 to 1 ratio I can generate 500 volt. May be one from an old computer power supply? I have a few dead ones.
The Arb Generator is a Berkeley Nucleonics 625A. I used a negative exponential signal. I posted some pictures:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/photos/album/1871970004/pic/list

I added some pictures of the repaired damage on the A5 board. All the SMD Electrolytics had leaked and corrosion started propagating to other components.


Re: Folks, PLEASE use plain text

 

I usually only access the forum via email and I almost never see HTML. Is this
problem showing up with received emails or through the web interface?

I know Yahoo is having problem formatting line wrapping correctly with messages
sent through email when viewed through the web interface but I suspect that has
always been the case.

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:40:07 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

...to add my voice to Dave P's.

Y! has forgotten how to strip markup tags, so thay no longer offer
plain text mail. My mail client _by intent_ won't do html.
I'm sure Dave and I aren't the only ones.

thanx,
-ls-


Re: Sign the Petition to get the old groups back.

Andy
 

I've figured out how to use the new format, but I have to say that it's much harder to use.  I used to brows the new posts a few times a day, but now I only bother a couple of times a week.  It just feels so cumbersome.  It takes several clicks just to expand a thread so that you can see all the posts.


Andy



---In TekScopes@..., <tekscopes@...> wrote:

 

I question if a petition would influence Yahoo!  Look on the Feedback section and you see over 50,000 messages complaining about Neo.  (BTW, asking for name, address AND e-mail for a petition is not a great idea.  Many of us (myself included) would not want to enter this info as it is prime for spammers.)

 

Clearly someone at a high level (VP) should lose their job over this.  Many software vendors introduce “improved” versions that break a few things that worked fine in the old version, but I have never seen a case where this many things were broken.  Neo is so bad it essentially ruins the experience.

 

Something I thought about that might get their attention is to post on the Yahoo finance page under their ticker symbol.  Most serious investors know that this forum is very opinionated, often without basis.  But a few messages that suggested users are leaving Yahoo! in droves because of the screw-ups in both the e-mail and the groups may get some attention.  Start you message with the heading “recommend – strong sell”

- Steve

On 9/26/2013 12:17 PM, Craig Sawyers wrote:
 

There have been many of the biggest companies who have tried forcing
something new and unwanted on the public and have soon had the sense to
reverse the decision to preserve their market.
==============================

Remember when Coca Cola fiddled with the formula to make it sweeter to
compete with Pepsi? After a furious reaction, sales plummeting, and share
price falling they reversed the decision and brought back their original
formula. Came close to killing the company.

Craig



Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Michael A. Terrell
 

Artek Manuals wrote:

/My own bench approach rather than spend a fortune on INK and paper is to print out the few pages I need at the moment rather than print out a whole manual. The day is coming however and 36 and 48" LED screens are closing in on becoming quite reasonably priced, that I sit at my bench an ponder how I am going to integrate one in a useful way to the next service bench I build//! !!/

Put one on a cart with the computer & keyboard. I did this with size 'D' prints and a home brew easel. I had several carts set up for jobs that came up fairly often, and multiple benches to maximize my productivity. One cart was a stereo microsope & multiple soldering irons to make it easy to do my own rework on the test floor. Even then, I kept PDFs of all the IC data sheets on the computer at my bench to wind out why a new design failed first build. Some so called 'engineers' forgot everything, once a design was completed amd even denied that it was their signatures on the drawings. :(

In other cases, an item hadn't been built for years and a long time customer wanted more of the same old design. That's the downside of an engineer to order business.

90601 - 90620 of 189953