Date   

Re: 1N3718 tunnel diode testing (475 scope trigger TD)

cybertheque_museum
 

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David <davidwhess@...> wrote:

2.5 volts across 1600 ohms is only about 1.6 milliamps.
Indeed and just after posting I saw the obvious; however, I neglected to mention that the generator can be offset to sweep from zero volts to some as yet undetermined maximum around 15 volts and I did crank it up to max but did not calibrate the X axis sweep on the scope so I likely undershot IsubP -- will verify that.

So much for hurrying to get a result before heading to work.

Thanks for the replies.

Michael


Re: U800 155-0241 free pcbs

vdonisa
 

I'm at the 3rd attempt of 2 week period.... It's probably a very exclusive club and I don't seem to have the proper credentials....

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "mosaicmerc" <mosaicmerc@...> wrote:

It seems that TekscopesArc/2 aren't accepting new members...2 weeks now and no approval for me.


--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@> wrote:

That is not correct, it is only 91% full. Plenty of room for Tom's files
(500kB).


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@> wrote:

**


That's because the file area is full. It only holds 100 megs. The photos
section allows 2 gigs.

It's yahoo, what would you expect.





----- Original Message -----
*From:* David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@>
*To:* TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:18 PM
*Subject:* Re: [TekScopes] U800 155-0241 free pcbs



On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Dave C <davec2468@> wrote:

Thomas,
What is the reason to not simply put these files in the Yahoo group
files area?

If you try to add a file, you get the message:
"The moderator has disallowed file uploading. "




Re: 2467 Issues

vdonisa
 

I hope you have returned it by now. I managed to have a look at how the dimming circuit works. It's supposed to evaluate the intensity of the beam then chose a dimming time-out accordingly and gradually dim it out until eventually after several time-out periods it will shut it down completely and periodically flash a SHUTDOWN message.

What I see there is most probably either:

1) the CRT is on its last legs or has some other malfunction (various voltages out of limits), you need to blast a serious current into it in order to see anything, and the dimming circuit senses that current and reduces it very quickly

2) the circuit that does the sensing is defective or completely out of adjustment

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "mcllhns" <mcllhns@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.

Yesterday the 2467 I bought on eBay arrived. I found out it has many problems.


1. The SCALE ILLUM knob is physically broken. Where can I find a replacement? I've already tried eBay.

2. The trace disappears. Here is a video:
http://youtu.be/3G31C9BFU6U

Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Regards.


Re: U800 155-0241 free pcbs

mosaicmerc
 

It seems that TekscopesArc/2 aren't accepting new members...2 weeks now and no approval for me.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@...> wrote:

That is not correct, it is only 91% full. Plenty of room for Tom's files
(500kB).


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Tom Miller <tmiller11147@...> wrote:

**


That's because the file area is full. It only holds 100 megs. The photos
section allows 2 gigs.

It's yahoo, what would you expect.





----- Original Message -----
*From:* David DiGiacomo <daviddigiacomo@...>
*To:* TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 08, 2013 6:18 PM
*Subject:* Re: [TekScopes] U800 155-0241 free pcbs



On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:

Thomas,
What is the reason to not simply put these files in the Yahoo group
files area?

If you try to add a file, you get the message:
"The moderator has disallowed file uploading. "




Re: Solder Sucker Recommendation?

Dave C <davec2468@...>
 

??? What's a motor-run relay? and how does a current transformer /ssr replace these?

Dave


On May 8, 2013, at 8:45 PM, Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:

replace the motor run relay with a current transformer and a SSR


Re: Tek 2465B Test 05 Fail 24

mosaicmerc
 

Did u check the hybrid pis for corrosion? I read that could cause probs even if the hybrid is good.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "metoorich" <richard@...> wrote:

Just to add to the board repair info, I have a 2465B that's had a Test 05 Fail 24 error for a while now. I researched here and did as much component testing as I could, checked voltages, etc, and couldn't locate the problem. Today I swapped out the U500 155-0239-02 hybrid and it cleared the error. Thanks to the ones who've posted their repair experiences, thanks for sharing your repair knowledge/experience on this board.


Re: 1N3718 tunnel diode testing (475 scope trigger TD)

 

2.5 volts across 1600 ohms is only about 1.6 milliamps. You have to
exceed the peak point current to switch the tunnel diode on and then
apply a current lower than the valley point current to switch the
tunnel diode off.

With only +/- 1.6 milliamps, the curve trace will be just a diagonal
line centered on the origin.

The maximum forward or reverse current of the 1N3718 is 50 milliamps
so there is plenty of safety margin to test with.

On Thu, 09 May 2013 03:30:12 -0000, "cybertheque_museum"
<msg.together@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings:

It is difficult to accept that all four tunnel diodes in my recently acquired 475 scope are shorted but that is what the I am seeing with a kludged curve tracer and DMM resistance check. How likely is it that all four are bad? The curve tracer is just a 1kohm resistor from ground to the cathode of the TD under test with the anode driven directly from a -2.5 to +2.5 V triangle wave generator (about 600 ohm output Z) to ground and the X axis of the monitor scope connected between ground and the function generator and the y axis between ground and the high side of the resistor (the monitor scope is not ground isolated so I cannot look directly across the TD junction).

Substituting a convention PN diode and also a Schottky diode for the TD shows the usual knee on the monitor scope. The data for the 1N3718 are:

IsubP = 10 ma
IsubV = 1.3 ma
VsubP = 65 mv
VsubV = 350 mv

I adjusted the drive to cover these ranges. The displayed curve is just a diagonal line with a slope of 1.

Michael


Re: 1N3718 tunnel diode testing (475 scope trigger TD)

k1ggi
 

I dont quite see how you managed to exceed Ip with 1k and 2.5V. Could you explain what drive you adjusted?
Until you exceed Ip, the TD is going to look like a low-ohm resistor.
Ed

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "cybertheque_museum" <msg.together@...> wrote:

Greetings:

It is difficult to accept that all four tunnel diodes in my recently acquired 475 scope are shorted but that is what the I am seeing with a kludged curve tracer and DMM resistance check. How likely is it that all four are bad? The curve tracer is just a 1kohm resistor from ground to the cathode of the TD under test with the anode driven directly from a -2.5 to +2.5 V triangle wave generator (about 600 ohm output Z) to ground and the X axis of the monitor scope connected between ground and the function generator and the y axis between ground and the high side of the resistor (the monitor scope is not ground isolated so I cannot look directly across the TD junction).

Substituting a convention PN diode and also a Schottky diode for the TD shows the usual knee on the monitor scope. The data for the 1N3718 are:

IsubP = 10 ma
IsubV = 1.3 ma
VsubP = 65 mv
VsubV = 350 mv

I adjusted the drive to cover these ranges. The displayed curve is just a diagonal line with a slope of 1.

Michael


Re: Solder Sucker Hax

Robert Simpson
 

Thanks for the tip.
Well, I hope it works, I just bought one. I struggle getting ecaps off PC mainboards with desoldering braid.
This is a major purchase for me, so got my fingers crossed.
Bob

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "serialdata1" <gdday@...> wrote:



--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "mosaicmerc" <mosaicmerc@> wrote:

As u say that...I might make up a backup sucker for grins out of a small 12VDC vacuum pump (from jameco) that pulls 25mmHG vac using a 1/2L brass reservoir I have. I already have fast acting (15 msec) 12V 3-way solenoid valves from Ingersoll Rand. I have lots of left over parts, MAP sensors etc., from a blow off valve & boost control brain system I designed for turbo cars. Prob. make a nozzle attachment out of 3/8" copper pipe brazed onto the soldering iron insert tip.

Ah...maybe someday when I don't have a 2465A to recap!


--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David <davidwhess@> wrote:

On my Weller DS227 desoldering setup, I have a 1/2 HP vacuum pump
rated at 3 CFM in free air drawing from a vacuum reservoir so the air
flow starts as fast as I can open the air valve. The limit on air
flow appears to be the tubing leading up to the desoldering tip since
it collapses do to the vacuum. I am thinking of picking up a solenoid
operated valve so one hand will be left free.

It is probably overkill but I already had the pieces and I have no
complaints about the performance so far.

On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:46:26 +0200, Stefan Trethan
<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.


Re: Solder Sucker Recommendation?

Glenn Little
 

I started with a solder sucker. Soon went to a Weller/Endico desoldering iron. I soon cut off the squeeze bulb and built a vacuum system consisting of a refrigerator compressor (used vacuum side), a tank (about 2 cubic feet), a vacuum switch and a foot switch actuated solenoid valve to suck the solder. This lasted for a year or so. Now I use a PACE desoldering system. The only maintenance done on this has been to replace the motor run relay with a current transformer and a SSR, I have cleaned the vanes in the rotary vane where rosin vapor had deposited. I keep a clean filter in the extraction tube and a filter at the vacuum port on the base unit. A pump close to the nozzle may create a higher vacuum, but, it will be more prone to failure from rosin vapors. I have found that after removing about 20 pounds of solder from circuit boards, the biggest problems are caused by clogged filters and rosin vapor.

Just my experience.

BTW a good torch tip cleaner makes a good cleaner for the desoldering tips.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV


At 07:25 PM 5/8/2013, you wrote:


i just bought a solder sucker and it works  o-k first one ihve used that was self heating/all 8 dollar /wud it be worth removing the plunger and putting a vacuum line to it
 
Jerry KJ6NTL
From: vdonisa
To: TekScopes@...
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:15 PM
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: Solder Sucker Recommendation?
 
Try 400 works best in my experience with both hand pump and hakko. Don't go beyond that though unless you really have to (i.e. a really thick board with multiple ground planes or massive components; or ROHS stuff of course).

--- In mailto:TekScopes%40yahoogroups.com, "Philip" wrote:
>
> Thanks for all the recommendations. I conclude that the Hakko 808 is the way to go.
>
> I note that its minimum temperature is listed as 380°C, which is 30°C higher than I have been using, so perhaps I might get better results with my Soldapullt by increasing my working temperature a bit.
>




Re: Solder Sucker Hax

vdonisa
 

Don't forget to add the price of a 220V to 110V transformer.

And the price of spare parts. The Hakko comes standard with a boatload of them.

-- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "serialdata1" <gdday@...> wrote:
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.


Re: Solder Sucker Hax

Garth Daddy
 

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "mosaicmerc" <mosaicmerc@...> wrote:

As u say that...I might make up a backup sucker for grins out of a small 12VDC vacuum pump (from jameco) that pulls 25mmHG vac using a 1/2L brass reservoir I have. I already have fast acting (15 msec) 12V 3-way solenoid valves from Ingersoll Rand. I have lots of left over parts, MAP sensors etc., from a blow off valve & boost control brain system I designed for turbo cars. Prob. make a nozzle attachment out of 3/8" copper pipe brazed onto the soldering iron insert tip.

Ah...maybe someday when I don't have a 2465A to recap!


--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, David <davidwhess@> wrote:

On my Weller DS227 desoldering setup, I have a 1/2 HP vacuum pump
rated at 3 CFM in free air drawing from a vacuum reservoir so the air
flow starts as fast as I can open the air valve. The limit on air
flow appears to be the tubing leading up to the desoldering tip since
it collapses do to the vacuum. I am thinking of picking up a solenoid
operated valve so one hand will be left free.

It is probably overkill but I already had the pieces and I have no
complaints about the performance so far.

On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:46:26 +0200, Stefan Trethan
<stefan_trethan@> wrote:

. . .

Even more important in my opinion than flow or absolute pressure is
that the flow is sudden. It does no good to slowly start sucking, this
will only cool the solder joint. To achieve this I add a power supply
to all Zhongdi stations so that the starting current for the motor can
be provided easily. The newer models already have a switchmode supply
but the old ones had just a transformer.
The pump in the handle would have an advantage in this regard, but the
pressure drop even with the hose is very sudden as long as the motor
starts fast.

. . .
You guys should save some money, here is a Chinese version of a popular de solder gun which looks OK to me and uses same parts.
Ebay No 250986032101
I will be purchasing this shortly.


1N3718 tunnel diode testing (475 scope trigger TD)

cybertheque_museum
 

Greetings:

It is difficult to accept that all four tunnel diodes in my recently acquired 475 scope are shorted but that is what the I am seeing with a kludged curve tracer and DMM resistance check. How likely is it that all four are bad? The curve tracer is just a 1kohm resistor from ground to the cathode of the TD under test with the anode driven directly from a -2.5 to +2.5 V triangle wave generator (about 600 ohm output Z) to ground and the X axis of the monitor scope connected between ground and the function generator and the y axis between ground and the high side of the resistor (the monitor scope is not ground isolated so I cannot look directly across the TD junction).

Substituting a convention PN diode and also a Schottky diode for the TD shows the usual knee on the monitor scope. The data for the 1N3718 are:

IsubP = 10 ma
IsubV = 1.3 ma
VsubP = 65 mv
VsubV = 350 mv

I adjusted the drive to cover these ranges. The displayed curve is just a diagonal line with a slope of 1.

Michael


Re: Lithium batteries

vdonisa
 

Are their question and subsequent actions asked/performed in good faith? Will they take "n/a" as a valid answer?

Now seriously. I have no experience with them as a shipper, I don't live in US. I would answer "yes" and follow all the relevant instructions. If they act in bad faith and destroy the package where they shouldn't have done so, I would file a complaint then I will just stop shipping with them such materials (or anything in general). In the end it's them that will be on food stamps.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, Peter Gottlieb <hpnpilot@...> wrote:

Can you in good faith answer the USPS question "Does this package contain
lithium batteries" as a "no?"


On 5/8/2013 10:19 PM, vdonisa wrote:

Easy. Talking lets say 2465B low serial, you read the datasheet of the battery
(LTC-7P) and notice that it says: "Ship unrestricted. IATA No. UN3090." At
which point you can, in perfectly good faith, decide to ship it without going
through any further complications.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TekScopes%40yahoogroups.com>, David
<davidwhess@> wrote:
Below a specific mass of
lithium metal, no notice are markings are necessary at all but how
would you know how much lithium metal is in a backup battery installed
inside of a 20 year old instrument?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3162/5809 - Release Date: 05/08/13


Re: what is a tek tds 420 used for

victor.silva
 

It's a digital oscilloscope. It's just a scope.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry" <kj6ntl@...> wrote:

i saw this on e-bay and it looks qite different / does it use a different type display


Re: Lithium batteries

victor.silva
 

135.61 General

Only lithium cells and batteries under 135.62 and 135.63 that are properly installed in the equipment they are intended to operate may be sent internationally or to APO, FPO, or DPO locations when not restricted or prohibited by the destination country or APO, FPO, or DPO location. For specific country restrictions, see the applicable Individual Country Listing. For specific APO, FPO, or DPO restric­tions, see the information for the destination ZIP Code in the article titled "Overseas Military/Diplomatic Mail" pub­lished in each issue of the Postal Bulletin.

Lithium batteries packed with equipment and lithium batteries sent separate from equipment are prohibited. Damaged or recalled batteries are prohibited and may not be mailed internationally under any circumstances.

135.62 Primary Lithium (Non-Rechargeable) Cells and Batteries

Small consumer-type primary lithium cells and batteries (lithium metal or lithium alloy) like those used to power cameras and flashlights are mailable in a single shipment with the following restrictions:

a. The batteries must be installed in the equipment be­ing shipped.

b. Each shipment may contain a maximum of only four lithium cells or two lithium batteries.

c. The lithium content must not exceed 1 gram (g) per cell.

d. The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 2 g per battery.

e. The batteries installed in the equipment must be pro­tected from damage and short circuit.

f. The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.

g. The equipment must be contained in a strong sealed package and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.


Re: Lithium batteries

MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
 

who sells reliable li-ion cells .... i want 3 18650's ....

Mike KC7NOA

> To: TekScopes@...
> From: hpnpilot@...
> Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 22:37:39 -0400
> Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Re: Lithium batteries
>
> The regulations have tightened after a number of fires. The rules are broad and
> the UN testing is in some ways very odd. I know of at least one instance where
> due to safety concerns we had to not comply with one rule (we took our chances
> re the regs).
>
> OK so here's the problem: technically, you cannot ship lithium batteries via
> USPS, and if shipped by private carrier (UPS, FedEx etc.) the batteries need to
> have gone through UN testing and you have to have hazardous goods shipping
> training (trivial but required), fill out the proper forms, and have the package
> properly labelled. Lithium batteries are shipped under category 9,
> miscellaneous, of dangerous goods shipping regs.
>
> Sounds like a pain? It is. Not every UPS driver is authorized to carry such
> packages! And more.
>
> But here's where things get difficult: Old batteries are covered just like new
> ones, but since they did not require UN testing when they were made, and they
> are no longer made, their manufacturers are certainly not going to spend the
> time and considerable money to get such testing done. Therefore, there are
> plenty of circumstances where you can no longer ship them! And, carry more than
> a certain amount, even in your own car, and something bad happens and they are
> discovered by the right person, and you can be in deep doo-doo (big fines).
>
> A joke? Governmental interference? Maybe, but there have been a number of 123
> cells (about half the height of a AA cell and a little fatter) exploding while
> still in their packaging, and of course in flashlights and other items. These
> incidents have started fires and caused some serious personal injuries. There
> was a law enforcement letter sent out by the FBI warning police departments
> about Chinese imitation cells bought by departments which exploded and warning
> them to only buy from authorized distributors. We're talking life-changing
> injuries caused by a single cell.
>
> The chance of a properly manufactured cell exploding or catching fire is VERY
> tiny, but there are many cheap Chinese knockoffs and they are nearly impossible
> to tell if they are real or fake by looks alone.
>
>
>
>
> On 5/8/2013 9:59 PM, vdonisa wrote:
> >
> > Even then, components looking like 28 pin DIP ICs might not necessarily
> > attract my attention as being/containing lithium batteries.... :-)
> >
> > Now seriously. This is the guide on it and there is a second larger PDF that
> > establish in detail all rules governing it:
> >
> > http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/Lithium-Battery-Guidance-2013-V1.1.pdf
> >
> > Unfortunately it is too complicated for some people so they decided to not
> > deal at all with it.
> >
> > I also know of an electronics distributor that would not ship to Canada a
> > no-clean flux pen which is otherwise safe and every other distributor would
> > happily ship it here. They just don't want to deal with shipping "chemicals"
> > at all no matter what kind.
> >
> > --- In TekScopes@... , David
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I have no idea if any particular oscilloscope has a lithium battery
> > > inside of it unless I am actively examining it.
> >
> >
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > No virus found in this message.
> > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> > Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3162/5809 - Release Date: 05/08/13
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
> <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/
>
> <*> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/join
> (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
> TekScopes-digest@...
> TekScopes-fullfeatured@...
>
> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> TekScopes-unsubscribe@...
>
> <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>


Re: Lithium batteries

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>
 

I was thinking about upgrading, but after all this, I think I'll stick
with my 475A and 485.

73, Dick, W1KSZ


On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Peter Gottlieb <hpnpilot@...> wrote:
Can you in good faith answer the USPS question "Does this package contain
lithium batteries" as a "no?"


On 5/8/2013 10:19 PM, vdonisa wrote:
>
> Easy. Talking lets say 2465B low serial, you read the datasheet of the battery
> (LTC-7P) and notice that it says: "Ship unrestricted. IATA No. UN3090." At
> which point you can, in perfectly good faith, decide to ship it without going
> through any further complications.
>
> --- In TekScopes@... TekScopes%40yahoogroups.com>, David
> wrote:
> > Below a specific mass of
> > lithium metal, no notice are markings are necessary at all but how
> > would you know how much lithium metal is in a backup battery installed
> > inside of a 20 year old instrument?
>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3162/5809 - Release Date: 05/08/13
>



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TekScopes/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    TekScopes-digest@...
    TekScopes-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    TekScopes-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/



Re: Lithium batteries

Peter Gottlieb <hpnpilot@...>
 

Can you in good faith answer the USPS question "Does this package contain lithium batteries" as a "no?"

On 5/8/2013 10:19 PM, vdonisa wrote:

Easy. Talking lets say 2465B low serial, you read the datasheet of the battery (LTC-7P) and notice that it says: "Ship unrestricted. IATA No. UN3090." At which point you can, in perfectly good faith, decide to ship it without going through any further complications.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TekScopes%40yahoogroups.com>, David <davidwhess@...> wrote:
Below a specific mass of
lithium metal, no notice are markings are necessary at all but how
would you know how much lithium metal is in a backup battery installed
inside of a 20 year old instrument?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3162/5809 - Release Date: 05/08/13


Re: Lithium batteries

Peter Gottlieb <hpnpilot@...>
 

The regulations have tightened after a number of fires. The rules are broad and the UN testing is in some ways very odd. I know of at least one instance where due to safety concerns we had to not comply with one rule (we took our chances re the regs).

OK so here's the problem: technically, you cannot ship lithium batteries via USPS, and if shipped by private carrier (UPS, FedEx etc.) the batteries need to have gone through UN testing and you have to have hazardous goods shipping training (trivial but required), fill out the proper forms, and have the package properly labelled. Lithium batteries are shipped under category 9, miscellaneous, of dangerous goods shipping regs.

Sounds like a pain? It is. Not every UPS driver is authorized to carry such packages! And more.

But here's where things get difficult: Old batteries are covered just like new ones, but since they did not require UN testing when they were made, and they are no longer made, their manufacturers are certainly not going to spend the time and considerable money to get such testing done. Therefore, there are plenty of circumstances where you can no longer ship them! And, carry more than a certain amount, even in your own car, and something bad happens and they are discovered by the right person, and you can be in deep doo-doo (big fines).

A joke? Governmental interference? Maybe, but there have been a number of 123 cells (about half the height of a AA cell and a little fatter) exploding while still in their packaging, and of course in flashlights and other items. These incidents have started fires and caused some serious personal injuries. There was a law enforcement letter sent out by the FBI warning police departments about Chinese imitation cells bought by departments which exploded and warning them to only buy from authorized distributors. We're talking life-changing injuries caused by a single cell.

The chance of a properly manufactured cell exploding or catching fire is VERY tiny, but there are many cheap Chinese knockoffs and they are nearly impossible to tell if they are real or fake by looks alone.

On 5/8/2013 9:59 PM, vdonisa wrote:

Even then, components looking like 28 pin DIP ICs might not necessarily attract my attention as being/containing lithium batteries.... :-)

Now seriously. This is the guide on it and there is a second larger PDF that establish in detail all rules governing it:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/Lithium-Battery-Guidance-2013-V1.1.pdf

Unfortunately it is too complicated for some people so they decided to not deal at all with it.

I also know of an electronics distributor that would not ship to Canada a no-clean flux pen which is otherwise safe and every other distributor would happily ship it here. They just don't want to deal with shipping "chemicals" at all no matter what kind.

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TekScopes%40yahoogroups.com>, David <davidwhess@...> wrote:

I have no idea if any particular oscilloscope has a lithium battery
inside of it unless I am actively examining it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
Version: 10.0.1432 / Virus Database: 3162/5809 - Release Date: 05/08/13

89501 - 89520 of 181535