Date   

Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

SCMenasian
 

You can consider a 2 part potting compound. A while back, I bought some Dow Corning Sylgard 160, which comes in dual tube 400 ml units. It is intended to be dispensed with a special "caulking gun" type tool with a mixing nozzle. It was originally intended for a solar panel project which never happened because I found some manufactured panels at a good price. I, now, use the Sylgard for general potting, etc. Instead of dispensing the entire 400 ml at once, I just dispense whatever small amount I want into a small container and mix it manually. It cures, at room temperature, in about a day - faster in the oven. Beware; Its very strong and sticky. I made an initial mistake of using a glass 50 ml beaker and allowed it to set up before cleaning the beaker. I don't know if I will ever get the cured material out without breaking the beaker. I'm very careful to clean the tube ends and cap completely before putting the cap back on after I'm through.


Re: OT! OT! --- E-bay fee change -- OT! OT! Cross posted with HP group.

-
 

<Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?>

Are you talking about the switch from PayPal being the escrow agent to
Ebay doing that themselves or are you talking about the fact that E-bay now
wants to link to your bank account?

The answer to the first should be obvious, Ebay, not PayPal, will now
have the use of the funds while they are in escrow and will also get the
fees collected. Cha-Ching!

The second; while Ebay being linked to everyone's bank accounts may not
directly produce revenue for them, it will eliminate any possible loss to
Ebay in the event of non-paying bidders or items being returned or claimed
as damages in shipping, or not delivered or not as described, etc. Ebay is
going to suck the money out of someone else's account with or without their
knowledge or consent, just like PayPal did.

Nothing here is really new except that Ebay has stepped into the shoes
that PayPal used to occupy. Effectively, they changed the name, but the
game is the same.

Ebay made billions when it sold off PayPal. I'm just wondering how long
before E-bay places their NEW payment service into a separate part of the
company and then sells off that division. Is there anyone here that doesn't
understand the idom of "Rinse and Repeat!"?

This reminds me of the scene of Burt Reynolds movie .The Longest Yard'.
In it the Prison convicts are playing football against the Prison guards
and things are getting rough and one guard is particulary agreesive and
always charges trhough defensive line and *smashes* the quarterbark. Burt's
character comes up with a plan, the defensive line directly in front of the
guard opens up and lets him have an open field to the quarterback (Burt's
character). But Burt is ready for him and throws the ball at him HARD and
it smacks him directly in the nuts! Both sides reform their line while the
guard wonders around in a painfilled haze. Burt then says to his team
'Hey, it worked the first time so let's do it again!". They all laugh and
of course, they make the exact same play and the guard gets it where it
hurts the most all over again. After that he's *out* of the game!

I kind of feel that we the Ebay sellers (and consumers in general) are
getting the same abusive treatment (right in our financial nuts!) over and
over from Ebay and other greedy companies. Cable companies and ISPs are
among the worst! They charge you for high price services but then don't
deliver the promised performnce, then when everyone gets fed up with them
and their business declines, they change their name, advertise heavily to
regain custimers and do it all over again. Bright House/ Spectrum, are you
listening?

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 4:53 AM Martin <musaeum@arcor.de> wrote:

On 28. Apr 2021, at 06:26, - <rrrr6789@gmail.com <mailto:
rrrr6789@gmail.com>> wrote:
One word? Greed!
Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?

What a difference does it make compared to the process in place today
(using my credit card)? I'm just talking about the transits between Ebay
and my account, not the rest which of course is greed...

cheers
Martin






Re: 7A16A with an unknown modification MOD515D

unclebanjoman
 

I wouldn't change it.
MOD515D adds to basic 7A16A the ability to remotely operate the band width,polarity and position functions.
Very rare. I think was used in conjunction with a 7912 or 7612D.
I don't know if it's usable in a 7854, but I think it is worth investigating further.

Max


Re: 465 Electrolytic Capacitor Replacement

Bill
 

I will definitely take my time and not damage the circuit board. I’ve always known to use sufficient heat and be quick about time on the board.

Great information from all!!

Thank you,
Bill


Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

Jean-Paul
 

Barry, the silicone is not strong enough, I have fixed this problem with a small c clamp strain relief screwed on to the new wires. Instead of tar or silicone I have used hot melt glue, but first clean all surfaces with isopropyl alcohol.


Jon


Re: OT! OT! --- E-bay fee change -- OT! OT! Cross posted with HP group.

 

On 28. Apr 2021, at 06:26, - <rrrr6789@gmail.com <mailto:rrrr6789@gmail.com>> wrote:
One word? Greed!
Sure... but how does this account thingy increases their revenue?

What a difference does it make compared to the process in place today (using my credit card)? I'm just talking about the transits between Ebay and my account, not the rest which of course is greed...

cheers
Martin


Re: NEVERMIND: Can anyone use a 453 P6010 (010-0187-00) probe?

 

David Daniel wrote:

That came out of nowhere and had me laughing. I haven’t thought of Emily or Gilda in a long time.
Emily Litella and Roseanne Roseannadanna live rent-free in my head.

-- Jeff Dutky


Re: OT! OT! --- E-bay fee change -- OT! OT! Cross posted with HP group.

-
 

"Actually what I do not understand: I already have Ebay getting its fees
via my credit card, and vice versa if they reimbourse something. So why do
they need anything in addition to that?"

One word? Greed!

When I started with E-bay their fee was 2% and there was no such thing
as PayPal and you made our own shipping arrangements.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:18 AM Martin <musaeum@arcor.de> wrote:

Actually what I do not understand: I already have Ebay getting its fees
via my credit card, and vice versa if they reimbourse something. So why do
they need anything in addition to that?

I will stop selling on Ebay altogether and try "Ebay Kleinanzeigen"
instead, here in germany. Fortunately I sold most of my items already.

cheers
Martin


On 27. Apr 2021, at 20:26, Daniel Koller via groups.io <kaboomdk=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi folks, this is OFF TOPIC because it's about e-bay, but on the other
hand, with the exception of my older gear, it's just about the only way I
get *any* Tek or HP gear these days. So, with apologies if it drags on too
long and in the wrong direction,....
I got a message from e-bay that explains they are changing their payment
structure. According to that, sellers will need to directly link a bank
account to e-bay so that they can receive payments directly from buyers.
By May 21, if you do not link a bank account to e-bay, they will not allow
new postings! So, the implication is that Paypal is no longer going to
work.
I don't know about folks here, but I suspect, like me, they are a bit
older, financially conservative, and are loathe to link a personal bank
account to e-bay. To this day I do not have my paypal account "linked"
to my bank account. I can have all my on-line accounts hacked, but none
of them have any access to my bank account.
One thing I thought to do is open a small credit union account with
low/no fees and use that only for e-bay / paypal and keep the balance low,
just in case something gets hacked. But now I have to go to the bank, or
perhaps open an account on-line. E-bay is NOT making it easier for the
small seller. More and more e-bay is just becoming a venue for cheap
Chinese goods and wholesale garbage.
So, just wondering what folks here plan to do about selling their old
gear, and working with ebay in the future. Anyone have any good Ideas or
workarounds to the e-bay problem, or an alternate e-venue for buying and
selling old gear? E-bay has been a collector's and hobbyist's goldmine for
20 years. It's sad to see it continually changing for the worse.
I am sensitive to the fact that this is a topic only tangentially
related to Tek or HP gear, so please keep replies relevant to how e-bay is
a conduit for acquiring such gear for us. I'm happy to take replies
off-group as well, but if it's relevant, I presume we all want to hear
about it.
Thanks,
Dan











Re: 465 Electrolytic Capacitor Replacement

-
 

I hate to admit it here but I have used a very hot hot air gun to heat
the backside of circuit cards until the solder melts and then slam the
board down on a table to knock dozens of surface mount components off all
at the same time. If the air is HOT and you don't have to heat the board
for more than about 20 seconds, the components survive surprisingly well.
But they usually scatter all over the place! You definitely don't want to
do it in a room with a carpeted floor!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 10:35 PM Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

The PACE solder rework training has some interesting "methods" for
component removal

https://youtu.be/h_RiRL-flgs?t=801

of course they only mention "Heat and Shake" but don't recommend it.

-- Jeff Dutky






Re: OT! OT! --- E-bay fee change -- OT! OT! Cross posted with HP group.

 

Actually what I do not understand: I already have Ebay getting its fees via my credit card, and vice versa if they reimbourse something. So why do they need anything in addition to that?

I will stop selling on Ebay altogether and try "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" instead, here in germany. Fortunately I sold most of my items already.

cheers
Martin

On 27. Apr 2021, at 20:26, Daniel Koller via groups.io <kaboomdk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi folks, this is OFF TOPIC because it's about e-bay, but on the other hand, with the exception of my older gear, it's just about the only way I get *any* Tek or HP gear these days. So, with apologies if it drags on too long and in the wrong direction,....
I got a message from e-bay that explains they are changing their payment structure. According to that, sellers will need to directly link a bank account to e-bay so that they can receive payments directly from buyers. By May 21, if you do not link a bank account to e-bay, they will not allow new postings! So, the implication is that Paypal is no longer going to work.
I don't know about folks here, but I suspect, like me, they are a bit older, financially conservative, and are loathe to link a personal bank account to e-bay. To this day I do not have my paypal account "linked" to my bank account. I can have all my on-line accounts hacked, but none of them have any access to my bank account.
One thing I thought to do is open a small credit union account with low/no fees and use that only for e-bay / paypal and keep the balance low, just in case something gets hacked. But now I have to go to the bank, or perhaps open an account on-line. E-bay is NOT making it easier for the small seller. More and more e-bay is just becoming a venue for cheap Chinese goods and wholesale garbage.
So, just wondering what folks here plan to do about selling their old gear, and working with ebay in the future. Anyone have any good Ideas or workarounds to the e-bay problem, or an alternate e-venue for buying and selling old gear? E-bay has been a collector's and hobbyist's goldmine for 20 years. It's sad to see it continually changing for the worse.
I am sensitive to the fact that this is a topic only tangentially related to Tek or HP gear, so please keep replies relevant to how e-bay is a conduit for acquiring such gear for us. I'm happy to take replies off-group as well, but if it's relevant, I presume we all want to hear about it.
Thanks,
Dan






Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

 

Here's someone using "Shoe Goo" urethane to hand make strain relief on cables. It may work in this application as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU2jsbGNcZE

-- Jeff Dutky


Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

-
 

Barry,

Ordinary household silicone sealant releases Acetic Acid as it cures so
you're right, it's not kind to most metals. But they also make an
electronics grade silicone sealant that won't harm metal. I don't know if
it's suitable for your transformer but I thought that you might like to
know.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 11:14 PM n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> wrote:

I just don't know where there's an appropriate group for this so thought
I'd ask here.

I have a transformer (out of a fairly old SOLA CVT) whose 115V input leads
have become fragile right at the point where they enter the windings. It
is good enough to get a wire spliced onto it but I would like to stabilize
the point where it enters the transformer.

This transformer was inside of a metal housing and poured with a generous
layer of tar to stabilize everything - including the laminations as those
can be noisy. While tar would probably work, I'd rather use something else
and only at the point where these two wires enter the core to hopefully
prevent further breakage after the splice is made. I'm thinking of making
a small form at the end of the core around the wires and pour a potting
compound of sorts in the form.

My first thoughts would be something akin to silicone sealant but, as I
understand it, that stuff is not kind to wiring. Roofing tar might work if
it sets up firmly enough but, again, would like to steer clear of more
tar. Is there something out there that would work well for this?

Feel free to respond directly to me.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ







Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

Glenn Little
 

Use RTV that is labeled oxygen sensor safe.
The bad stuff cures and releases acetic acid.
You can smell it when you open the tube.
The good stuff cures with IIRC methyl alcohol.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV

On 4/27/2021 11:14 PM, n4buq wrote:
I just don't know where there's an appropriate group for this so thought I'd ask here.
I have a transformer (out of a fairly old SOLA CVT) whose 115V input leads have become fragile right at the point where they enter the windings. It is good enough to get a wire spliced onto it but I would like to stabilize the point where it enters the transformer.
This transformer was inside of a metal housing and poured with a generous layer of tar to stabilize everything - including the laminations as those can be noisy. While tar would probably work, I'd rather use something else and only at the point where these two wires enter the core to hopefully prevent further breakage after the splice is made. I'm thinking of making a small form at the end of the core around the wires and pour a potting compound of sorts in the form.
My first thoughts would be something akin to silicone sealant but, as I understand it, that stuff is not kind to wiring. Roofing tar might work if it sets up firmly enough but, again, would like to steer clear of more tar. Is there something out there that would work well for this?
Feel free to respond directly to me.
Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn Little ARRL Technical Specialist QCWA LM 28417
Amateur Callsign: WB4UIV wb4uiv@arrl.net AMSAT LM 2178
QTH: Goose Creek, SC USA (EM92xx) USSVI, FRA, NRA-LM ARRL TAPR
"It is not the class of license that the Amateur holds but the class
of the Amateur that holds the license"


Re: OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

Bruce Griffiths
 

Neutral/alcohol cure silicone should be fine. Just avoid acetoxy cure grades.
Two pot silicone should also be OK as long as curing doesnt produce amines or acetic acid.

Bruce

On 28 April 2021 at 15:14 n4buq <n4buq@knology.net> wrote:


I just don't know where there's an appropriate group for this so thought I'd ask here.

I have a transformer (out of a fairly old SOLA CVT) whose 115V input leads have become fragile right at the point where they enter the windings. It is good enough to get a wire spliced onto it but I would like to stabilize the point where it enters the transformer.

This transformer was inside of a metal housing and poured with a generous layer of tar to stabilize everything - including the laminations as those can be noisy. While tar would probably work, I'd rather use something else and only at the point where these two wires enter the core to hopefully prevent further breakage after the splice is made. I'm thinking of making a small form at the end of the core around the wires and pour a potting compound of sorts in the form.

My first thoughts would be something akin to silicone sealant but, as I understand it, that stuff is not kind to wiring. Roofing tar might work if it sets up firmly enough but, again, would like to steer clear of more tar. Is there something out there that would work well for this?

Feel free to respond directly to me.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ






OT: Stabilizing Old Transformer Input Wires

n4buq
 

I just don't know where there's an appropriate group for this so thought I'd ask here.

I have a transformer (out of a fairly old SOLA CVT) whose 115V input leads have become fragile right at the point where they enter the windings. It is good enough to get a wire spliced onto it but I would like to stabilize the point where it enters the transformer.

This transformer was inside of a metal housing and poured with a generous layer of tar to stabilize everything - including the laminations as those can be noisy. While tar would probably work, I'd rather use something else and only at the point where these two wires enter the core to hopefully prevent further breakage after the splice is made. I'm thinking of making a small form at the end of the core around the wires and pour a potting compound of sorts in the form.

My first thoughts would be something akin to silicone sealant but, as I understand it, that stuff is not kind to wiring. Roofing tar might work if it sets up firmly enough but, again, would like to steer clear of more tar. Is there something out there that would work well for this?

Feel free to respond directly to me.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ


Re: NEVERMIND: Can anyone use a 453 P6010 (010-0187-00) probe?

Dave Daniel
 

Sorry, I meant Jeff, not Dennis.

Never mind.

DaveD

On Apr 27, 2021, at 22:40, Dave Daniel via groups.io <kc0wjn=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Wow, Dennis. That came out of nowhere and had me laughing. I haven’t thought of Emily or Gilda in a long time.

On Apr 27, 2021, at 22:07, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Dennis,

Emily Litella called, she wants her ... oh, nevermind.








Re: NEVERMIND: Can anyone use a 453 P6010 (010-0187-00) probe?

Dave Daniel
 

Wow, Dennis. That came out of nowhere and had me laughing. I haven’t thought of Emily or Gilda in a long time.

On Apr 27, 2021, at 22:07, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Dennis,

Emily Litella called, she wants her ... oh, nevermind.





Re: 465 Electrolytic Capacitor Replacement

 

The PACE solder rework training has some interesting "methods" for component removal

https://youtu.be/h_RiRL-flgs?t=801

of course they only mention "Heat and Shake" but don't recommend it.

-- Jeff Dutky


Re: New to Tek 465B operation

 

Roy Thistle wrote:

For an example of ... a probe not to buy see ...
and here is an example of a probe that is being properly handled: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333969631283

the price is okay, but the probe looks to be in fine shape (disclaimer: I've bought from that seller and got a good probe from the transaction)

-- Jeff Dutky


Re: NEVERMIND: Can anyone use a 453 P6010 (010-0187-00) probe?

 

Dennis,

Emily Litella called, she wants her ... oh, nevermind.

5401 - 5420 of 187116