Date   

Re: DAS9100 does anyone still remember it

Brian
 

Dan , a miss-type in my mail -- 7D20 should be 7D02

Brian

On Saturday, 11 April 2020, 00:02:54 BST, Dan G <dgajanovic@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear that you were able to make progress on data transfer via the GPIB bus.

It looks like Tektronix designed a very reliable tape drive for the DAS9100, which has now,
unfortunately, far outlived any reliable tape cartridges. Even if one were to somehow get
freshly minted elastic bands for these old tapes that match the performance and reliability
of the originals, there is still the issue of the magnetic coating having become fragile with age
and prone to flaking off from the tape carrier.

An additional benefit of the GPIB transfer mode is that you will be able to easily share your
disassembly mnemonic tables with others. In theory, you should be able to get close
to re-creating the mnemonic tape contents from first principles.

I just looked at section 7 (Define Mnemonics Menu) of the DAS 9100 Operator's Manual PDF,
and noticed that the contents are far shorter and more limited compared to what I have on
paper (29 pages instead of 11). The version I have specifically talks about microprocessor
disassembly, and how to build a nested table structure with multiple mnemonic tables.

I could not find this version of section 7 online, so I will scan my copy and upload it to
TekWiki in the next few days.

Regarding your earlier question about external color monitors, I assume you have the
Option 6 I/O board, which provides color video output. Mine is Option 2, which only has
monochrome video output, so I cannot test this myself. However, note that the DAS only
generates three distinct colors: red, green and yellow. While the internal special-purpose
CRT has separate guns for red, green and yellow phosphors, an external monitor can produce
yellow by mixing red and green, so only two color signals are needed.
I expect that it should be easy to connect the Option 6 color video output to the
TTL-level input of a Commodore 1084 monitor or similar, but, again, I cannot test this
personally.


dan


Re: DAS9100 does anyone still remember it

Brian
 

Hi Dan , nice to hear from you . I hope you are well and avoiding this virus .
I was surprised at how easy it seemed using GPIB with the DAS , mush easier than with some early instruments .
The damaged tapes that I have all have the broken elastic bands , the tape itself is quite undamaged , no sign of flaking oxide . I had a bad case of that with some old audio tapes .
I am very interested in your 29 pages of section 7 as I only have the 11 pages in my operator manual , it might open further possibilities with mnemonic files , all of which I will be quite happy to share with those interested and naturally will welcome any helpful suggestions .

I am starting to write a VB6 program that will allow limited control and data sending and retrieval via GPIB but I am not a VB programming expert by any means . Byte oriented binary data handling seems a bit awkward in VB and might take a while before it is working .
My GPIB interface is a USB to GPIB design from the internet that looks like the Prologix device and shares a subset of the same command set , so it should work with that device although I cannot say for certain as I dont have access to one , I can supply a link to the source of the device that I am using if it is needed , it is based on a PIC18F2550 .

The first mnemonic files I am likely to produce will be either 6800 or 8080 . If you know anyone with hands on experience of the PMA100 and knows if there is anything subtle that needs to be done to make it work , I would be pleased to know what it is . As far as I can tell the PMA itself just seems to be buffering and organising the data from the probes as there is no firmware inside , just a couple of 'PALs' in the logic . The PM105 for the Z80 has firmware as does the PM101 GP module but I dont know how it gets involved in operation -- the manuals I have for the PM modules only refer to operation with the 7D20 scope plugin . I dont know how relevant that information will be .
I will not let the PM issue slow things down .
I do have option 6 in my DAS and I had decided to try an LCD monitor to see what the display was like and if it was useful to have a bigger display -- have to see what the difference is with added BLUE or without .
I will keep in touch with progress

best regardsBrian Skilton

On Saturday, 11 April 2020, 00:02:54 BST, Dan G <dgajanovic@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear that you were able to make progress on data transfer via the GPIB bus.

It looks like Tektronix designed a very reliable tape drive for the DAS9100, which has now,
unfortunately, far outlived any reliable tape cartridges. Even if one were to somehow get
freshly minted elastic bands for these old tapes that match the performance and reliability
of the originals, there is still the issue of the magnetic coating having become fragile with age
and prone to flaking off from the tape carrier.

An additional benefit of the GPIB transfer mode is that you will be able to easily share your
disassembly mnemonic tables with others. In theory, you should be able to get close
to re-creating the mnemonic tape contents from first principles.

I just looked at section 7 (Define Mnemonics Menu) of the DAS 9100 Operator's Manual PDF,
and noticed that the contents are far shorter and more limited compared to what I have on
paper (29 pages instead of 11). The version I have specifically talks about microprocessor
disassembly, and how to build a nested table structure with multiple mnemonic tables.

I could not find this version of section 7 online, so I will scan my copy and upload it to
TekWiki in the next few days.

Regarding your earlier question about external color monitors, I assume you have the
Option 6 I/O board, which provides color video output. Mine is Option 2, which only has
monochrome video output, so I cannot test this myself. However, note that the DAS only
generates three distinct colors: red, green and yellow. While the internal special-purpose
CRT has separate guns for red, green and yellow phosphors, an external monitor can produce
yellow by mixing red and green, so only two color signals are needed.
I expect that it should be easy to connect the Option 6 color video output to the
TTL-level input of a Commodore 1084 monitor or similar, but, again, I cannot test this
personally.


dan


Re: TDS5054 infos...

Harold Foster
 

I also am not completely clear on how to apply the info in this thread to the 5000 series... pointers/instructions please!

Thank you,

Hal


Re: Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project

momemeca
 

Hello Dennis,
Apologies but I thought I had, hence a tad confused.

Cheers,

Rick

On 11 Apr 2020, at 03:04, Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com> wrote:

Rick,
Please keep any communication with Jeff regarding your arrangements with him
off the list.
8,000 other members were copied on this message unnecessarily.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of momemeca
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 5:32 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project

Hello Jeff,
I just paid the deposit and look forward to receiving the items.
I mention items because I subsequently realised that I have two of these
beauties :-) Therefore, would you please add another of these kits for me.

Cheers,

Rick

On 10 Apr 2020, at 03:50, Jeff Davis <n0dyjeff@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rick,

It looks like shipping 100 grams to Australia would cost $14.50 US. So the
total would be $75 + $14.50 = US$89.50.

Regards,
Jeff

________________________________
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of momemeca
<momemeca@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 12:56 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger
Project

Hello Jeff,
Count me in :-)
However, I have a question - I am from Australia, what would be the final
cost to me in USD?

Cheers,

Rick

On 9 Apr 2020, at 08:58, Jeff Davis <n0dyjeff@hotmail.com> wrote:

All,

I'm planning to send the order to the offshore contract manufacturer on
Friday morning, April 10, so this is the last call for deposits. The good
news is that based on the number of deposits so far, and some favorable
pricing from a new (to me) contract manufacturer, the kit price will be $75
each. The risk is that I've not done business with this CM before, so if
there are problems it could cause delays in availability. All indications at
this point, however, are good and I think it's a worthwhile risk to obtain
the per unit cost improvement.

If you're interested in getting in on the group buy, go here to make a
deposit<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fww
w.n0dy.com%2Fproduct%2Ftek-222-224-battery-charger-deposit%2F&amp;data=02%7C
01%7C%7C52d2fababd2a4389216008d7dc5b82b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%
7C1%7C0%7C637220157892876616&amp;sdata=uvKaLSSzhgCvQDhjwqyTx%2Ba3o%2BSpBzCNX
wA%2BdPLb73w%3D&amp;reserved=0> against the $75 kit cost.

Regards,
Jeff / N0DY




--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator



Re: DAS9100 does anyone still remember it

Dan G
 

Hi Brian,

Glad to hear that you were able to make progress on data transfer via the GPIB bus.

It looks like Tektronix designed a very reliable tape drive for the DAS9100, which has now,
unfortunately, far outlived any reliable tape cartridges. Even if one were to somehow get
freshly minted elastic bands for these old tapes that match the performance and reliability
of the originals, there is still the issue of the magnetic coating having become fragile with age
and prone to flaking off from the tape carrier.

An additional benefit of the GPIB transfer mode is that you will be able to easily share your
disassembly mnemonic tables with others. In theory, you should be able to get close
to re-creating the mnemonic tape contents from first principles.

I just looked at section 7 (Define Mnemonics Menu) of the DAS 9100 Operator's Manual PDF,
and noticed that the contents are far shorter and more limited compared to what I have on
paper (29 pages instead of 11). The version I have specifically talks about microprocessor
disassembly, and how to build a nested table structure with multiple mnemonic tables.

I could not find this version of section 7 online, so I will scan my copy and upload it to
TekWiki in the next few days.

Regarding your earlier question about external color monitors, I assume you have the
Option 6 I/O board, which provides color video output. Mine is Option 2, which only has
monochrome video output, so I cannot test this myself. However, note that the DAS only
generates three distinct colors: red, green and yellow. While the internal special-purpose
CRT has separate guns for red, green and yellow phosphors, an external monitor can produce
yellow by mixing red and green, so only two color signals are needed.
I expect that it should be easy to connect the Option 6 color video output to the
TTL-level input of a Commodore 1084 monitor or similar, but, again, I cannot test this
personally.


dan


Re: Unsoldering delicate parts. WAS: Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diodes

Brendan
 

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Bob Albert wrote:


Brian,
I have a microscope and a hot air station.  I just am not very experienced
and am nervous about screwing it up.
Plus the fact that I am, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, four score and seven
years old.
Bob
On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 04:42:25 PM PDT, Bob Albert
<bob91343@yahoo.com> wrote:

On another but similar subject, I replaced the NVRAMs in my Tek 2440 and now
it won't work.  I get a nonsense display.  I replaced one of the new ICs
with one of the old ones I removed but no difference.  I am feeling perhaps
the ICs and my work are not the problem.  I rechecked all the connectors and
resoldered all questionable pins and still no normal operation.
What I get is a nonsense display and no reaction from any controls.
Any ideas?
Bob
On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 03:37:33 PM PDT, Bob Albert via groups.io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I removed and now cannot reinstall the USB 3.0 connector on my nanoVNA. 
The  pitch of the pins is so small I can barely see the individual pins.
Any suggestions on installing this?  It's the solder bridges I fear most.
Bob
    On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:51:28 PM PDT, satbeginner
<castellcorunas@gmail.com> wrote:

I used chipquick to replace one of the AD converters in my TDS540B.

In this thread is a link to the pictures I took.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/145069?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Tds540b+repair,20,2,0,13200526




I had a hard time with bridging when I first started using my hot air station/iron and soldering small pitch items. I found a solder paste Amtech NC-559-V2-TF its a tacky flux in a syringe and it resists burning really well along with making cleaning up bridges super easy. Also it cleans up really easy too.

Brendan


Re: Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project

 

Rick,
Please keep any communication with Jeff regarding your arrangements with him
off the list.
8,000 other members were copied on this message unnecessarily.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of momemeca
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 5:32 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project

Hello Jeff,
I just paid the deposit and look forward to receiving the items.
I mention items because I subsequently realised that I have two of these
beauties :-) Therefore, would you please add another of these kits for me.

Cheers,

Rick

On 10 Apr 2020, at 03:50, Jeff Davis <n0dyjeff@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Rick,

It looks like shipping 100 grams to Australia would cost $14.50 US. So the
total would be $75 + $14.50 = US$89.50.

Regards,
Jeff

________________________________
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of momemeca
<momemeca@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 12:56 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Last Call - Tek 222/224 Battery Charger
Project

Hello Jeff,
Count me in :-)
However, I have a question - I am from Australia, what would be the final
cost to me in USD?

Cheers,

Rick

On 9 Apr 2020, at 08:58, Jeff Davis <n0dyjeff@hotmail.com> wrote:

All,

I'm planning to send the order to the offshore contract manufacturer on
Friday morning, April 10, so this is the last call for deposits. The good
news is that based on the number of deposits so far, and some favorable
pricing from a new (to me) contract manufacturer, the kit price will be $75
each. The risk is that I've not done business with this CM before, so if
there are problems it could cause delays in availability. All indications at
this point, however, are good and I think it's a worthwhile risk to obtain
the per unit cost improvement.

If you're interested in getting in on the group buy, go here to make a
deposit<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fww
w.n0dy.com%2Fproduct%2Ftek-222-224-battery-charger-deposit%2F&amp;data=02%7C
01%7C%7C52d2fababd2a4389216008d7dc5b82b8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%
7C1%7C0%7C637220157892876616&amp;sdata=uvKaLSSzhgCvQDhjwqyTx%2Ba3o%2BSpBzCNX
wA%2BdPLb73w%3D&amp;reserved=0> against the $75 kit cost.

Regards,
Jeff / N0DY








--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


Re: Unsoldering delicate parts. WAS: Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diodes

Bob Albert
 

John, that has occurred to me.  I don't know which pins go where since I haven't done much with USB.  And the mechanical arrangement would be an issue I think.
Give me instructions and I probably will go that way.  What I have now is a soldered-in cable that goes to a 5V supply to keep the battery charged but no data connection.  I find the cable a nuisance because it comes out on a side of the nano that keeps getting in the way, so just having a connector in the usual place would be better.  And allow me to transfer data as well.
Bob

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 12:25:10 AM PDT, John Gord via groups.io <johngord=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Bob,

I assume the connections you need to make are USB_DM and USB_DP.  These go from the USB connector to U4, the main processor chip.  Could you make the connections more easily at the pins of the processor and then just jumper them to a larger style of USB connector?

--John Gord

On Thu, Apr  9, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Bob Albert wrote:


  Brian,
I have a microscope and a hot air station.  I just am not very experienced
and am nervous about screwing it up.
Plus the fact that I am, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, four score and seven
years old.
Bob
    On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 04:42:25 PM PDT, Bob Albert
<bob91343@yahoo.com> wrote:

  On another but similar subject, I replaced the NVRAMs in my Tek 2440 and now
it won't work.  I get a nonsense display.  I replaced one of the new ICs
with one of the old ones I removed but no difference.  I am feeling perhaps
the ICs and my work are not the problem.  I rechecked all the connectors and
resoldered all questionable pins and still no normal operation.
What I get is a nonsense display and no reaction from any controls.
Any ideas?
Bob
    On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 03:37:33 PM PDT, Bob Albert via groups.io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

  I removed and now cannot reinstall the USB 3.0 connector on my nanoVNA. 
The  pitch of the pins is so small I can barely see the individual pins.
Any suggestions on installing this?  It's the solder bridges I fear most.
Bob
    On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:51:28 PM PDT, satbeginner
<castellcorunas@gmail.com> wrote:

  I used chipquick to replace one of the AD converters in my TDS540B.

In this thread is a link to the pictures I took.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/145069?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Tds540b+repair,20,2,0,13200526





Re: TDS5054 infos...

Bob Koller <testtech@...>
 

How is that done??


Re: TDS5054 infos...

Miguel Work
 

check your email


Re: TDS5054 infos...

David Kuhn
 

“ Yes, it works, now I have 2M option activated.”

How?

Dave

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:17 AM Miguel Work <harrimansat@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Yes, it works, now I have 2M option activated. I call to Tektronix to ask
how to do it paying, but is a out of support product.





Re: Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project, THANK YOU!

Jeff Davis
 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks very much for your kind words! It's been truly gratifying to see the response - 24 deposits so far for the kits. These old scopes still have lots of life left in them. And of course, for me it's got a lot of fun built in - but I do suspect that the "fun meter" will come off the peg after the 10th or 15th kit 🙂.

I did want to note your concern on shipping batteries. The kit DOES NOT include the 18650 lithium batteries, largely for the reasons you cite. It's safer and easier for each buyer to source the batteries locally.

I also would like to acknowledge my new friend Jimmy Ditman, a member of this list, who contacted me and encouraged me to take this project on, along with providing links to the public domain design information out there on the web. I would never have come across this on my own, as I didn't (until very recently) own a Tek 222A scope. I've also been in contact with the original circuit designer, Kitsune Denshi, who's been of great help and alerted me to some "gotchas" to look out for. Finally, thanks also to NearFarMedia for sharing the case design on Thingiverse.

I'm looking forward to placing the order and waiting for these shiny new boards to arrive from China!

Thanks,
Jeff

________________________________
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Tillman W7PF <dennis@ridesoft.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 12:51 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: [TekScopes] Tek 222/224 Battery Charger Project, THANK YOU!

Hi Jeff,
The members of TekScopes are the beneficiaries of your willingness to find a
supplier for these batteries and to offer to do the same for any of our
members. As original parts wear out or go bad we are going to have to rely
on more people like you and Michael Lynch to locate alternate suppliers.

Extending this offer to other TekScopes members is really going the extra
mile. I am not so sure our members understand this will take you time and
money to do.

TIME: It is time consuming to answer members questions, to process payments,
to keep track of their addresses, to inquire into the shipping charges to
distant countries, to pack these for safe shipping, and to comply with each
countries safety regulations regarding the shipment of batteries (which can
catch fire). You will probably make more than one trip to the post office.

MONEY: You have to buy boxes, labels, packing tape, and bubble wrap, etc. to
do all this for our members.

So be sure your beneficiaries understand it is only reasonable that they
cover the cost of your expenses and the time it takes you to do this for
them.

Dennis Tillman W7pF



--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator


Re: TDS5054 infos...

Miguel Work
 

fft, advance mathematical options, 2M deep memory :)


Re: TDS5054 infos...

Miguel Work
 

Yes, it works, now I have 2M option activated. I call to Tektronix to ask how to do it paying, but is a out of support product.


Re: TDS5054 infos...

amirb
 

the method for unlocking options on TDS7000 series may very well work for TDS5000
you should look for that one in the same forum


Re: TDS5054 infos...

 

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 04:26 PM, amirb wrote:


this has nothing to do with TDS5000 series...they dont use those option
modules.
I apologize. Didn't pay attention.

Raymond


Re: TDS5054 infos...

amirb
 

this has nothing to do with TDS5000 series...they dont use those option modules.


Re: TDS5054 infos...

 

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM, Miguel Work wrote:


Do you know how actívate all options?
scroll down here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/tektronix-tds3000-oscilloscope-modules-tds3uam/

Raymond


Re: TDS5054 infos...

Frédéric BARTOLI
 

Hi Miguel,
thanks for the info. Where did you get that from?

For your question for the options, I'm sorry but I don't have any info.
Or (dream) were you offering help? ;-)

Thanks,
Fred


Re: Unsoldering delicate parts. WAS: Russian/Eastern Europe Tunnel Diodes

John Gord
 

Bob,

I assume the connections you need to make are USB_DM and USB_DP. These go from the USB connector to U4, the main processor chip. Could you make the connections more easily at the pins of the processor and then just jumper them to a larger style of USB connector?

--John Gord

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 04:44 PM, Bob Albert wrote:


Brian,
I have a microscope and a hot air station.  I just am not very experienced
and am nervous about screwing it up.
Plus the fact that I am, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, four score and seven
years old.
Bob
On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 04:42:25 PM PDT, Bob Albert
<bob91343@yahoo.com> wrote:

On another but similar subject, I replaced the NVRAMs in my Tek 2440 and now
it won't work.  I get a nonsense display.  I replaced one of the new ICs
with one of the old ones I removed but no difference.  I am feeling perhaps
the ICs and my work are not the problem.  I rechecked all the connectors and
resoldered all questionable pins and still no normal operation.
What I get is a nonsense display and no reaction from any controls.
Any ideas?
Bob
On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 03:37:33 PM PDT, Bob Albert via groups.io
<bob91343=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I removed and now cannot reinstall the USB 3.0 connector on my nanoVNA. 
The  pitch of the pins is so small I can barely see the individual pins.
Any suggestions on installing this?  It's the solder bridges I fear most.
Bob
    On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:51:28 PM PDT, satbeginner
<castellcorunas@gmail.com> wrote:

I used chipquick to replace one of the AD converters in my TDS540B.

In this thread is a link to the pictures I took.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/145069?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,Tds540b+repair,20,2,0,13200526




17801 - 17820 of 183531