Date   
Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

stefan_trethan
 

I have it on 80psi as per the manual.
Can you please look into the slot at the back (palm side) and see if
there is any sound dampening material inside?
I can take off the side of the handle with two screws and it is
completely empty, the air from the venturi just comes out into this
space from a hole in the casting. All the seals are just fine
(everything is new), and it makes no difference if the suction side is
blocked or not, all the noise comes from the wild stream of air
exiting into the handle.

You definitely couldn't have a conversation within a few feet of this
thing, and even across the room it would be incredibly annoying.
It sounds like a loud compressed air blow-out gun (not surprising
since there is absolutely no silencer on the output).
My modified chinese desoldering station, wich also has a venturi
vacuum generator, makes just 60dB(A).

60dB(A) is quite acceptable in a shared lab/office space, but the
95dB(A) Metcal is absolutely unacceptable, even for the operator, let
alone everyone else.

I have made photos of my demo unit with the handle disassembled:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v3TY1V5umNdp4UMB6
Here you can see the slot at the back of the handle where the air comes out:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNSNjr6yX5fVe5mt5

Please let me know if this is normal, or if my unit is defective or
missing parts.
I will take it up with the vendor, but in my experience they often
know little about the tools they sell and have not used them.
Unless there are parts missing and this can be remedied it will go
back, no way I can use this.

ST

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM Bruce Lane <@kc7gr> wrote:

Mine works exactly the same way, but it doesn't seem overly loud to me.
Granted, I never measured it with a sound level meter (as, apparently,
you have), but I never felt the need to.

You might have it operating at too high a pressure. It should be right
around 100PSI, even. I would also check to make sure all the filters,
are clean, all the seals are present and working (there's a fat 'o-ring'
style seal around the desolder tip and a perimeter gasket lining the top
half of the collection chamber), and the venturi itself isn't cracked or
loose.

I hope that helps.

On 06-Sep-18 05:21, stefan_trethan wrote:
Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at 95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST



--
---
Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech dot com
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (Red Green)


Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

EricJ
 

Same here. What pressure are you working at? I thought the recommended pressure was 80 psi. Of note also is the fact that safety standards regarding hearing are time weighted. 95 dbA is safe for short periods, something like 1.5 hours a day, which is likely all you're going to be exposed to using a desoldering iron since they're only used in short bursts. At that time exposure there is supposed to be zero chance of long term hearing loss. Personally I haven't found mine objectionable at all, but then I'm not working in a library. I just checked mine with a db measuring app on my phone (probably not very accurate) and at 3 feet it runs right around 80 dbA at 80 psi.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------From: Bruce Lane <@kc7gr> Date: 9/6/18 8:44 AM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire
Mine works exactly the same way, but it doesn't seem overly loud to me.
Granted, I never measured it with a sound level meter (as, apparently,
you have), but I never felt the need to.

You might have it operating at too high a pressure. It should be right
around 100PSI, even. I would also check to make sure all the filters,
are clean, all the seals are present and working (there's a fat 'o-ring'
style seal around the desolder tip and a perimeter gasket lining the top
half of the collection chamber), and the venturi itself isn't cracked or
loose.

I hope that helps.

On 06-Sep-18 05:21, stefan_trethan wrote:
Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at 95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST



--
---
Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech dot com
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (Red Green)

Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

Bruce Lane
 

Mine works exactly the same way, but it doesn't seem overly loud to me.
Granted, I never measured it with a sound level meter (as, apparently,
you have), but I never felt the need to.

You might have it operating at too high a pressure. It should be right
around 100PSI, even. I would also check to make sure all the filters,
are clean, all the seals are present and working (there's a fat 'o-ring'
style seal around the desolder tip and a perimeter gasket lining the top
half of the collection chamber), and the venturi itself isn't cracked or
loose.

I hope that helps.

On 06-Sep-18 05:21, stefan_trethan wrote:
Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at 95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST



--
---
Bruce Lane, ARS KC7GR
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech dot com
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (Red Green)

Re: Desoldering Iron, was Re: [TekScopes] 466-464 stray wire

stefan_trethan
 

Based on your recommendation I now have a demo unit of the Metcal
MX5210 here, with the MX-DS1 desoldering gun.
But there is a problem with it - it is incredibly loud, measured at 95dB(A).
I have the correct pressure and everything installed per the
instructions, but surely this can't be right.
The venturi exhausts directly into the handle, which is completely
empty, no silcencer of any kind, and the air comes out via a slot into
your palm which seems odd too.

Please let me know if your MX-DS1 is built the same, or if there
should be some kind of silencer in the handle which is missing on
mine. The sound level is completely unacceptable, not just for
co-workers but also for the operator, 95dB is mandatory hearing
protection level loud...

ST

Re: Jon BATTERS

Michael A. Terrell
 

Has anyone who knew him tried emailing him? Maybe a relative of his has access to his Email account.

Michael A. Terrell
--

-----Original Message-----
From: Vince Vielhaber <vev@...>

Here's the most recent info that I can find. Dated 9/5/18:
http://www.kldr.com/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1536129290&ucat=2&template=KAJO17Column&
Oregon State Police is investigating and won't be releasing any more info.

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Harvey White
 

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 20:31:06 -0700, you wrote:

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 05:19 AM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

Hi Paul,

I'd love to see schematics for that
I have pencil-drawn sketchy and partial schematics, that's all there is... If you're serious about this, I'll check with the designer (if I can still reach him) for permission to upload. It'll take some time to put together and scan.
I'd be interested, too, just because.

Harvey



Raymond


Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Harvey White
 

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 20:09:29 -0700, you wrote:

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 05:00 AM, Harvey White wrote:

Hi Harvey,

....with three microprocessors...
None of that with this unit: All old-style analog, based on the practically identical 5- or 7CT1N, enhanced with an integrated 7000-style readout, built with original Tek circuits and IC's.
Yep, if it were't for the switches, I'd be tempted to take the readout
generator from an old plugin and modify my existing 7CT1N. It seems
like a lot of work, though. Gotta admire that 7CT1....

Harvey



Raymond


Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

 

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 05:19 AM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

Hi Paul,

I'd love to see schematics for that
I have pencil-drawn sketchy and partial schematics, that's all there is... If you're serious about this, I'll check with the designer (if I can still reach him) for permission to upload. It'll take some time to put together and scan.

Raymond

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Paul Amaranth
 

I'd love to see schematics for that (like I need another project).

I have the bigger curve tracers but I tend to use the 7ct1n for quick checks just because it's easy to set up.

Paul

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 08:09:29PM -0700, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:
On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 05:00 AM, Harvey White wrote:

Hi Harvey,

....with three microprocessors...
None of that with this unit: All old-style analog, based on the practically identical 5- or 7CT1N, enhanced with an integrated 7000-style readout, built with original Tek circuits and IC's.

Raymond
--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
Aurora Group, Inc. | Security, Systems & Software
paul@... | Unix & Windows

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

 

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 05:00 AM, Harvey White wrote:

Hi Harvey,

....with three microprocessors...
None of that with this unit: All old-style analog, based on the practically identical 5- or 7CT1N, enhanced with an integrated 7000-style readout, built with original Tek circuits and IC's.

Raymond

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Harvey White
 

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 19:23:18 -0700, you wrote:

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 04:08 AM, Harvey White wrote:


I do like the 7CT1N
So do I. I sold mine, for the following reasons:
- I have both a 576 and 577 dedicated curve tracer
- A while ago I bought a "home-made" 5CT1N-like module (yes, for the 5000-series), designed and built by an ex-Tek employee. The 5CT1N module, having no readout (hence -N), exists for the non-readout, slow 5000 mainframes but this one is equipped with read-out functionality, built with 7000-readout components. This allows digital, on-screen readout for step, horizontal /div. and vertical /div. All hand-wired, no copper traces! Multi-position switches instead of pots for selection.
THAT is a definite piece of art. I've got a design that makes a
digital curve tracer. Something like the Tek 472 if I have the
numbers right. +/- 20 volts, digital, and current readings down to
about 200 NA full scale....

One of those.. working on it.... designs, with three
microprocessors.... (two for current/voltage supplies).

Harvey






Raymond


Re: Jon BATTERS

Vince Vielhaber
 

Almost forgot, he's from St. Paul, Minnesota.

Vince.

On 09/05/2018 10:44 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

Here's the most recent info that I can find. Dated 9/5/18:

http://www.kldr.com/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1536129290&ucat=2&template=KAJO17Column&


Oregon State Police is investigating and won't be releasing any more info.

Vince.


On 09/05/2018 08:34 PM, David G. via Groups.Io wrote:
And for those that do not know Grants Pass…………..there can ONLY be one
Jon Batters. It is a very tiny space.

On Sep 5, 2018, at 7:15 PM, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
wrote:

I’m very sorry to report that his post on 11/24/2017 is signed:

“Jon Batters, Grants Pass, Or.”

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>
[mailto:TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>] On Behalf
Of EricJ via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 6:50 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Damn. That's not good. I remember talking to Jon a few times, really
hope it's not the same guy, but it's looking grim.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Sudbrink
<wh.sudbrink@...> Date: 9/5/18 4:33 PM (GMT-06:00) To:
TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
I don't often post to this list but I do read and archive it. I just
searched my archive. Jon Batters last posted to this list on 8/12/2018.
There is no signature on that post, but previous posts from the same
email
address are signed:

"Jon Batters, Oregon"


-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dennis
Tillman W7PF
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 5:18 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Hi Rolynn,

There are five Jon Batters listed as members. One is in the UK.
I would guess that the other four entries are probably separate email
entries setup by the same person for some reason of his.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
<SNIP>
Jon Batters was a contributing member of this group.
The information was for those who knew him and care.
Rolynn



--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator















Re: Jon BATTERS

Vince Vielhaber
 

Here's the most recent info that I can find. Dated 9/5/18:

http://www.kldr.com/news/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1536129290&ucat=2&template=KAJO17Column&

Oregon State Police is investigating and won't be releasing any more info.

Vince.

On 09/05/2018 08:34 PM, David G. via Groups.Io wrote:
And for those that do not know Grants Pass…………..there can ONLY be one Jon Batters. It is a very tiny space.

On Sep 5, 2018, at 7:15 PM, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

I’m very sorry to report that his post on 11/24/2017 is signed:

“Jon Batters, Grants Pass, Or.”

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io> [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>] On Behalf Of EricJ via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 6:50 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Damn. That's not good. I remember talking to Jon a few times, really hope it's not the same guy, but it's looking grim.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> Date: 9/5/18 4:33 PM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
I don't often post to this list but I do read and archive it. I just
searched my archive. Jon Batters last posted to this list on 8/12/2018.
There is no signature on that post, but previous posts from the same email
address are signed:

"Jon Batters, Oregon"


-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis
Tillman W7PF
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 5:18 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Hi Rolynn,

There are five Jon Batters listed as members. One is in the UK.
I would guess that the other four entries are probably separate email
entries setup by the same person for some reason of his.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
<SNIP>
Jon Batters was a contributing member of this group.
The information was for those who knew him and care.
Rolynn



--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator














Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

 

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 04:08 AM, Harvey White wrote:


I do like the 7CT1N
So do I. I sold mine, for the following reasons:
- I have both a 576 and 577 dedicated curve tracer
- A while ago I bought a "home-made" 5CT1N-like module (yes, for the 5000-series), designed and built by an ex-Tek employee. The 5CT1N module, having no readout (hence -N), exists for the non-readout, slow 5000 mainframes but this one is equipped with read-out functionality, built with 7000-readout components. This allows digital, on-screen readout for step, horizontal /div. and vertical /div. All hand-wired, no copper traces! Multi-position switches instead of pots for selection.

Raymond

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

 

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 03:31 AM, Harvey White wrote:


7D20 (yes, and even though you have a storage
scope, a digital storage scope provides a longer lasting trace).
I fully agree. The disadvantage is that the screen is the smallest (all 8 x 10 div) among the 7000 mainframes:

Analog storage: 7613, 7623(A), 7633(A), 7834 - 0.9 cm/div
Non-storage: 7603 - 1.2 cm/div (the 10 x 10 div screen option has smaller divisions)
Other non-storage: 7XXX - 1 cm/div

The logic analyzers (7D01, 7D02) all have their own digital storage, so analog (CRT) storage is of no value, whereas at the same time, the smaller screen size of these analog storage 'scopes is a disadvantage.

Basically, what I'm saying is: Get a 7603 (preferably) or another non-storage mainframe for digital stuff and use the analog storage mainframe for analog stuff.
Obviously, with only one mainframe available, the screen size disadvantage becomes moot.

The analog storage mainframes are very convenient when using with non-storage spectrum analyzers (7L12, 7L13).

So, as you see, you need so much more equipment, which as you mentioned before, unfortunately isn't that easy to come by where you live.

By the way: The nice cursor measurements available with DM44-equipped 'scopes isn't available with e.g. a 7D15, although "gated" measurements are.
If you want something a bit like cursor measurements, you need a four-slot mainframe with e.g. a 7B85 / 7B80 time base combination, which gives you on-screen digital delta-time. Alternatively, a 7854 mainframe would help

You may also hunt for a filling panel for the time being...

Raymond

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Harvey White
 

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 18:47:15 -0700, you wrote:

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 06:31 PM, Harvey White wrote:
<snip>

I'm not a "long time user" of the 7k series but I do like the 7CT1N.
I do, too. Don't always use mine, but they're nice. Best alternative
to a dedicated curve tracer that I know of.

Having said that, those little puppies are *expensive*, guess they're
in demand by people who want to measure transistor curves.

Of course, not a lot of this stuff is *cheap*.....

Harvey



Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Brendan
 

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 06:31 PM, Harvey White wrote:


On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 17:29:59 -0700, you wrote:

Crap, now you guys have added to my wishlist the 7D20 and 7A13!  Oops, I
spoke too soon, the 7A13 is already on the wishlist!
7D20 has a GPIB connection, so I gotta have one someday.  The wife will
question my impeccable logic...
Jim
<evil laugh>


Now, also consider, if you do some digital, the 7A42 is a 4 channel
plugin with combinational logic triggering. It is useful if you don't
have a separate logic analyzer. Having said that, I *do* have a logic
analyzer, and I've never used mine (the 7A42).

There's essentially three directions you can go into with electronics
design. 1) digital 2) RF 3) general purpose.

For Digital:

7A26 (a pair of them), 7D20 (yes, and even though you have a storage
scope, a digital storage scope provides a longer lasting trace). 7D02
*if* you deal with microprocessors and they're old ones (anything
newer than an AVR and including an AVR, Pic, etc... any
microcontroller, a 7D02 is likely to be less useful.) 7A42.

for RF: Consider any of the 7L spectrum analyzers depending on the
frequencies you want to play with. Not quite my field, and there are
other analyzers out there with better specs, ask the RF types.

General: Here's where the 7A13 comes in, for the low level,
moderately low frequency differential measurements (ripple on a power
supply, etc.) The 7A22 has different bandwidth filters, and less neat
offset capability. The 7A26 allows two more analog channels. 7A18
can also be considered if you only want 75 Mhz bandwidth.

When doing digital, you often want to look at more than four signals.
At this point, a logic analyzer is really your best bet (and I assume
all the signals are digital in nature). As a separate piece of
equipment, you'd want one that has at least 32 channels, and yes, I do
use that many. (monitoring *all* the ports on an ARM processor, with
one that has 4 16 bit ports, well, you need 64 data inputs. Even
though the processor I use (format wise) doesn't have a complete set
of the last 16 bits in a port, it still takes 16 bits capability, so
64 bits).

When doing RF: If you're a ham, then anything up to 1.2 Ghz covers
most of the bands you'd use, but above that means you're doing some
specialized (IMHO) microwave work. YMMV on this.

If you're doing Digital, or general purpose, and you are doing either
B, G, or N WiFi, or you're doing NRF24xxx 2.4 GHz RF, you may want a
spectrum analyzer that goes to about 3 GHz, but certainly takes in the
2.4 to 2.5 Ghz band. There are ways of working around this, but
still, much nicer.

General purpose has the fewest real specialized plugins, but the 7a13
(and mine are all digital because I *like* digital) are useful, as are
the 7A22. Again, the 7A22 has a whole host of bandwidth filters to
allow you to look at a specific frequency. There are HF filters and
low frequency filters so you could look at a specific bandwith in the
face of other frequencies, and still get a good idea.

There's other stuff out there, too, I'm sure.

I do a lot of digital, some general purpose, and not a lot of RF.

The 7904 I have is very useful, as is the Agilent 16702B logic
analyzer.

My more or less favorite load on a 7904 is a 7A26, 7D12 with an M2
plugin (sampling), a 7D15 in a horizontal slot, and a 7B92A in the
last horizontal slot. That, of course, varies.

Harvey




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Raymond Domp Frank
<@Raymond> Date: 9/5/18 4:49 PM (GMT-08:00) To:
TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 7K series - Conceptual question -
What's the 3rd most useful plugin
On Thu, Sep  6, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Harvey White wrote:


You can likely feed
the counter from the vertical signal output
Yes, you can. For a permanent setup, like Fabio seems to want, I wouldn't
like a BNC plug in the socket on the front all the time but a counter *is*
very useful.
A 7D20, effectively converting the 7623A into a digital 'scope with its own
digital storage, isn't a good match for the analog storage functionality of
the 7623A. In a 7603, a 7D20 makes for a very nice 'scope. The 7D20 is very
much "analog-like".

Raymond




I'm not a "long time user" of the 7k series but I do like the 7CT1N.

Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

Harvey White
 

On Wed, 05 Sep 2018 17:29:59 -0700, you wrote:

Crap, now you guys have added to my wishlist the 7D20 and 7A13!  Oops, I spoke too soon, the 7A13 is already on the wishlist!
7D20 has a GPIB connection, so I gotta have one someday.  The wife will question my impeccable logic...
Jim
<evil laugh>


Now, also consider, if you do some digital, the 7A42 is a 4 channel
plugin with combinational logic triggering. It is useful if you don't
have a separate logic analyzer. Having said that, I *do* have a logic
analyzer, and I've never used mine (the 7A42).

There's essentially three directions you can go into with electronics
design. 1) digital 2) RF 3) general purpose.

For Digital:

7A26 (a pair of them), 7D20 (yes, and even though you have a storage
scope, a digital storage scope provides a longer lasting trace). 7D02
*if* you deal with microprocessors and they're old ones (anything
newer than an AVR and including an AVR, Pic, etc... any
microcontroller, a 7D02 is likely to be less useful.) 7A42.

for RF: Consider any of the 7L spectrum analyzers depending on the
frequencies you want to play with. Not quite my field, and there are
other analyzers out there with better specs, ask the RF types.

General: Here's where the 7A13 comes in, for the low level,
moderately low frequency differential measurements (ripple on a power
supply, etc.) The 7A22 has different bandwidth filters, and less neat
offset capability. The 7A26 allows two more analog channels. 7A18
can also be considered if you only want 75 Mhz bandwidth.

When doing digital, you often want to look at more than four signals.
At this point, a logic analyzer is really your best bet (and I assume
all the signals are digital in nature). As a separate piece of
equipment, you'd want one that has at least 32 channels, and yes, I do
use that many. (monitoring *all* the ports on an ARM processor, with
one that has 4 16 bit ports, well, you need 64 data inputs. Even
though the processor I use (format wise) doesn't have a complete set
of the last 16 bits in a port, it still takes 16 bits capability, so
64 bits).

When doing RF: If you're a ham, then anything up to 1.2 Ghz covers
most of the bands you'd use, but above that means you're doing some
specialized (IMHO) microwave work. YMMV on this.

If you're doing Digital, or general purpose, and you are doing either
B, G, or N WiFi, or you're doing NRF24xxx 2.4 GHz RF, you may want a
spectrum analyzer that goes to about 3 GHz, but certainly takes in the
2.4 to 2.5 Ghz band. There are ways of working around this, but
still, much nicer.

General purpose has the fewest real specialized plugins, but the 7a13
(and mine are all digital because I *like* digital) are useful, as are
the 7A22. Again, the 7A22 has a whole host of bandwidth filters to
allow you to look at a specific frequency. There are HF filters and
low frequency filters so you could look at a specific bandwith in the
face of other frequencies, and still get a good idea.

There's other stuff out there, too, I'm sure.

I do a lot of digital, some general purpose, and not a lot of RF.

The 7904 I have is very useful, as is the Agilent 16702B logic
analyzer.

My more or less favorite load on a 7904 is a 7A26, 7D12 with an M2
plugin (sampling), a 7D15 in a horizontal slot, and a 7B92A in the
last horizontal slot. That, of course, varies.

Harvey




Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond> Date: 9/5/18 4:49 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin
On Thu, Sep  6, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Harvey White wrote:


You can likely feed
the counter from the vertical signal output
Yes, you can. For a permanent setup, like Fabio seems to want, I wouldn't like a BNC plug in the socket on the front all the time but a counter *is* very useful.
A 7D20, effectively converting the 7623A into a digital 'scope with its own digital storage, isn't a good match for the analog storage functionality of the 7623A. In a 7603, a 7D20 makes for a very nice 'scope. The 7D20 is very much "analog-like".

Raymond




Re: 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin

ArtekManuals
 

Jim

Bite the bullet and get her a gift certificate from a major shoe store 8^)

I bought a top of the line $2000 radio once ...cost me a matching diamond ring ...worth every penny

Dave
NR1DX
manuals@...

On 9/5/2018 8:29 PM, Jim Ford wrote:
Crap, now you guys have added to my wishlist the 7D20 and 7A13!  Oops, I spoke too soon, the 7A13 is already on the wishlist!
7D20 has a GPIB connection, so I gotta have one someday.  The wife will question my impeccable logic...
Jim


Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond> Date: 9/5/18 4:49 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 7K series - Conceptual question - What's the 3rd most useful plugin
On Thu, Sep  6, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Harvey White wrote:

You can likely feed
the counter from the vertical signal output
Yes, you can. For a permanent setup, like Fabio seems to want, I wouldn't like a BNC plug in the socket on the front all the time but a counter *is* very useful.
A 7D20, effectively converting the 7623A into a digital 'scope with its own digital storage, isn't a good match for the analog storage functionality of the 7623A. In a 7603, a 7D20 makes for a very nice 'scope. The 7D20 is very much "analog-like".

Raymond




--
Dave
Manuals@...
www.ArtekManuals.com

Re: Jon BATTERS

 

And for those that do not know Grants Pass…………..there can ONLY be one Jon Batters. It is a very tiny space.

On Sep 5, 2018, at 7:15 PM, Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

I’m very sorry to report that his post on 11/24/2017 is signed:

“Jon Batters, Grants Pass, Or.”

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io> [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>] On Behalf Of EricJ via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 6:50 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io <mailto:TekScopes@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Damn. That's not good. I remember talking to Jon a few times, really hope it's not the same guy, but it's looking grim.
--Eric
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...> Date: 9/5/18 4:33 PM (GMT-06:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
I don't often post to this list but I do read and archive it. I just
searched my archive. Jon Batters last posted to this list on 8/12/2018.
There is no signature on that post, but previous posts from the same email
address are signed:

"Jon Batters, Oregon"


-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis
Tillman W7PF
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 5:18 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS

Hi Rolynn,

There are five Jon Batters listed as members. One is in the UK.
I would guess that the other four entries are probably separate email
entries setup by the same person for some reason of his.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: ROLYNN PRECHTL K7DFW
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Jon BATTERS
<SNIP>
Jon Batters was a contributing member of this group.
The information was for those who knew him and care.
Rolynn



--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator