Re: PDF service manuals, reading & annotating in print or on screen

Don Black <donald_black@...>

My comments were about the same window, different tabs.

Don Black.

On 28-Sep-13 2:06 AM, Garey Barrell wrote:

Don -

I have Acrobat 8 and Reader XI, and both open multiple copies using the 'newly learned' [New Window] trick. Cool!

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Don Black wrote:
>
>
> I have Adobe Acrobat 7 and Foxit 2.2 . I can only open one copy of a document at a time as described with Acrobat but
> can have multiple copies open with Foxit (I have three open at the moment).
>
> Don Black.
>
> On 27-Sep-13 10:58 PM, David Holland wrote:
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Artek Manuals <manuals@... > wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> ArtekManuals comments interspersed below
>>
>> On 9/26/2013 10:17 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> It would drive me bananas trying to work with service manuals on a
>>> screen, no matter how big. Firstly I would need multiple such screens
>>> because I frequently want to look at several pages at once
>> /The ability to open multiple pages in the same document simultaneously would be a useful benefit. Being able to
>> open the theory of operation section and the schematic at the same time for example. Adobe unfortunately only
>> allows you open one copy of the file at a time (Foxit and other PDF Reader users please weigh in here). There is
>> a work around simply make a 2nd copy of the file and then rename it ( as an example : 7633-osm.pdf and
>> 7633-osm-1.pdf) both files can be open simultaneously and if your monitor is big enough, they can be run side
>> by side , but tiling also works for flipping back and forth./
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> That's not entirely accurate Dave..... :-)
>>
>> You can have the same document opened multiple times without duplicating the file, in Adobe, however, its not done
>> via the File menu.
>>
>> Open the document, w/ Adobe, as usual. Then go to the "Window" menu, and select "New Window". You get a 2nd
>> window w/ the same document.
>>
>> I just verified it with Adobe Reader 9, and the latest Adobe Reader 11.
>>
>>
>>
>> As for paper vs electronic. Personally I prefer both. The electronic for portability. Paper for actual perusal.
>> Even with multiple windows, and large screens, flipping back and forth just "seems" more difficult.
>>
>> David
>

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.