From: Don Black
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 12:04 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] UNUSUAL CRT Instruments?

Thanks for the link to the nice photos Tom, It would have been nice if there was a shot of the anode face to see the score marks from the beam.
Are you sure it's rotated by a 60 Hz supply? I was under the impression that they spun up to 10,000 RPM which would need a much higher frequency. Of course, we could both be right and some just rotate at about 1800 RPM and some much higher.
The two filaments aren't to provide a spare when the first burns out (as in the double filament Audios, etc.) they are different size and position and allow different X-ray beam characteristics.

Don Black.

On 06-Sep-13 1:24 PM, Tom Miller wrote:

Here is a (typical) rotating anode x-ray tube.

The anode disk is attached to a rotor that is then attached to the external HV connection.

The tube is inserted in the center of a stator that is driven with 60 Hz AC, usually 120 volts.

All of the rotating parts are in a very high vacuum.

Regards,
Tom