Re: 453

Alain B

Many thanks folks, for all those really fine comments.
Very prolific group, great !
Regards
Alain

Le 17.07.2013 00:39, Ed Breya a �crit :
If there is only one layer of plastic material in front of the CRT face, it should be made of lexan (polycarbonate - soft, but tough), not acrylic (hard, but brittle), since it serves as an implosion shield. This has been dicussed a lot here, so the archives have plenty of good info on materials and techniques.

BTW I recently junked out some old HP CRTs, and found that they had an extra layer of glass glued to the face with rubbery goop, just like TV CRTs and laminated automotive windshield safety glass. I don't know if that's the case with all HP ones. I don't think Tek ever used that method. I think on the Tek CRTs that have the jug sections frit sealed together, the flat faceplates are made of tempered glass for strength, but they can shatter and implode, so need protection up front. I think the all-glass CRTs are regular glass (with slightly convex faceplate for strength), so same issues either way.

Ed

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, Alain B <alain.betemps@...> wrote:
Thank for help,

I will look for colored plexiglass to take place and add contrast.
Regards
Alain

Le 16.07.2013 16:14, Cliff White a �crit :
My 466 has a veeeery fine metal mesh over the screen, it's listed as an
option to cut down on radiation/interference. FWIW it was an Army scope.

Respectfully,
Cliff White, W5CNW
w5cnw@... <mailto:w5cnw@...>
On 07/16/2013 09:11 AM, Paul Amaranth wrote:

I think the glare shield was a fine metal mesh; I have one like that
on a 422.

I made a glare filter using smoke plexiglass that popped into place
on my 453. I'm thinking it might be nice to make another one using
clear plexiglass and a colored gell to get a blue filter. I might
do that for a 454 that's in my queue.

I think it's very rare to fine an oem filter; most of them seem to
have gotten lost by now.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 05:34:54AM -0000, betounn wrote:
Hello Folks,

What the best way to replace blue plastic CRT shield on a 453, mine
is missing.
Thank for help.
Regards
Alain