453 CRT removed from screen: photos

John

Purely from curiosity, I removed this CRT from its Mumetal screen: not an easy task, as it was "glued" in at the front corners with what looked like foam.

To my surprise, the front face detached in the process, so I've taken some photos looking back down the tube. I was also surprised to see a "window" through which the electron beam fires: the last object prior to hitting the screen. You can just see where beam has "written" on this window.

The Y-plates are segmented, but all wired in parallel: I did wonder if this was a part common to the 454, and for this latter variant they added inductors to create the delay line?

Photos at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaybs/sets/72157630205984812/

John