Re: Solder Sucker Recommendation?

Don Black <donald_black@...>

I'm intrigued by how small they can now make a 420 watt power supply now. eBay item 280783317481.

Don Black.

On 08-May-13 10:20 AM, Larry McDavid wrote:

It is difficult to beat the performance of a Hakko 808 De-Soldering Gun,
available even on Amazon. With the vacuum pump located in the gun, there
is no air flow restriction within a long hose to a bench-mounted vacuum
source. Frankly, the Hakko 808 gun has *serious* suck! I've not found
anything better for through-hole de-soldering.

Larry

On 5/7/2013 4:28 PM, Philip wrote:
> I have been using an old Soldapullt solder sucker I refurbished to work
> on boards. It has been working pretty well up until recently. It just
> doesn't seem to have enough umph to really pull the solder out of the
> holes. I end up getting most of it out but not enough to free the lead.
> I then heat it up some more and pull on the device from the other side.
> Then I put some solder on the land with the device removed and then the
> solder sucker will usually clean it out.
>
> Is this as good as can be hoped for on these old boards and solder or is
> there a better way? Does any one have a recommendation for a good solder
> sucker or other desoldering method than I have described for removing
> components while preserving the integrity of the board and lands?

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB