Re: HV Multiplier defective in 7603?

Don Black <donald_black@...>

You can measure the 24.5 M resistor by putting a lower value resistor in parallel and then measuring. If it's completely open you'll just get the value of the parallel resistor but if it's OK the resistance will be lower. Then you can calculate the value of the 24.5, there are little programs on the net to do it for you. I'd suggest using a 10 Meg in parallel if your meter can go that high, otherwise a 1 Meg.

Don Black.

On 25-Apr-13 6:30 AM, raymonddompfrank wrote:

My idea about loading the circuit came from the thought that the multiplier input would see a peak-detected DC voltage that had to see some load to discharge. Nonsense, of course. My excuse is that it was at 7am this morning and I had been working all day and night (not on this problem).
Just pulled Q1201. Cathode voltage goes down to far below 2KV so Q1206, Q1214 and associated circuitry could well be ok. Looking at the circuitry driving Q1201 now (R1245 etc). R1245B could be open but I can't easily measure 24.5Mohm.

Next would be the Grid Bias circuitry.

Cathode filament is not open (2 Ohm across P1275 pins 1, 2).