Re: Tektronix 7104 and 7D20 showstopping?

Don Black <donald_black@...>

Well, the link looks like it should now work, pity it doesn't. You need to cut and past the last bit after "Hon" onto the URL when the first part comes up.
http://www.labcompare.com/617-News/844-University-of-Leicester-to-Bestow-Hon

ad:  orary-Doctorate-of-Science-on-Ray-Fairbend-of-PHOTONIS/

Don Black.

On 08-Apr-13 1:23 AM, Don Black wrote:

That's nice he's being recognized for his life's work. I guess that developments since the 7104 days must have improved the reliability and long life without deterioration for space work, you can't just take a bus up to a satellite to change the MCP. Perhaps we can wonder what the latest Tektronix scope using MCPs would be like if development continued to the present day.
The email cut the link in half, I think this should work OK
<http://www.labcompare.com/617-News/844-University-of-Leicester-to-Bestow-Honorary-Doctorate-of-Science-on-Ray-Fairbend-of-PHOTONIS/>
Thanks for the link, interesting it's still leading edge technology.

Don Black.

On 08-Apr-13 12:52 AM, Craig Sawyers wrote:

==================
Thanks for the excellent description of their construction and manufacture.
I guess the electrons entering each pore initiated secondary emission? Were
the tubes lined with a conductor or the glass chosen (doped?) to be
conductive, maybe with a voltage gradient. I haven't had a chance to read
the article about them yet so maybe that will answer "all" (like the
magazine articles "all about ....  ;-) ).

Don Black.
==================

I forgot to mention that the cores and cladding are *square*! That
massively increases the cost of the stock material - square section tube
with precision ground square section leachable rod. The guy who developed
this technology, and is still the guru of MCP development and advanced
applications is Ray Fairbend. Hard to tell Ray's precise age, but if he
developed Tek's 7104 MCP for them that would put him early 60's at youngest
estimate. This is the guy
http://www.labcompare.com/617-News/844-University-of-Leicester-to-Bestow-Hon
orary-Doctorate-of-Science-on-Ray-Fairbend-of-PHOTONIS/ . Got to know him
through the MIXS (Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer) instrument mentioned
in the article, for which I was overall International Project Manager.

Craig