From: Dave Daniel
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Sources for shipping cartons for vintage Tek scopes?
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 1:58 AM

On 2/9/2013 4:23 PM, Rob wrote:

r.e. >>>“I've thought about
using expanding foam from a spray can (the Home Depot
variety) and plastic sheeting to mimic what professional
shippers use, but I've never tried it.�<<<

I attempted same. However I ran into
issues because there is no place for the off gas to go
and everything maintains liquid in the bag. It made a
mess as well. If the stuff gets out of the bag and on
equipment it is not forgiving at all.

Did you spray in into a bag? I was thinking I would enclose the
instrument in a sturdy sealed bag, then just spray the foam into the
empty box and hold the instrument off the bottom of the box until
the foam expanded around the instrument.

Dave

That said, I think if someone had
more patients and tenacity then I; a scheme to deal with
the off gas issue, allowing the material to solidify.
Thus allowing the idea to be successful.

Finally, I have found the boxes at
this link to be  ideal for 7xx3 7000 series scopes.
However, for 7xx4 while serviceable they are a little
tight and I am likely to move to a 26x16x14(or more)
solution.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-16503/Literature-Mailers/26-x-16-x-12-Jumbo-Carrying-Case

Unfortunately, I have also found that
no matter how carefully I pack and/or mark shipments it
seems the post office (and others) have employees who
take it upon themselves to prove how wholly inadequate
my packaging and/or force me to file shipping insurance
claims.  All in all the shipping and lack of care the
main reason that once I have finished my current
supplies of mainframes I will not attempt similar. I
have enjoyed the journey to date but find the “releasing
to the wild� part cumbersome, expensive and totally
unfulfilling.

Hopefully helpful
Rob

From: