Re: designspark

scott_dixon

Sadly, KiCAD is pretty poor on Macs. I just last week gave it another try with the latest Mac build I could find. I didn't try the schematic capture but I did try to do some track routing in the PCB module and found it crashed every few minutes even when doing very simple things. There seems to be little work on getting KiCAD working well on Macintoshes so I have given up on it again.
-scott

--- In TekScopes@yahoogroups.com, Don & Karen Patterson wrote:

Can anyone advise on how well kicad runs on Macintosh?

Thanks and take care,

Don

On Jan 13, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Veronica Merryfield wrote:

Try the original homeā€¦ http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/kicad/
n 2013-01-13, at 10:53 AM, Michael Shiloh wrote:

Yep; looks like a problem at the site.

By the way, I'm planning on using KiCad for a class I'm teaching next
week; I've tested it over the past couple of weeks and am quite happy.

I'll be happy to share my experiences and observations as my class
progresses, if there is interest.

Michael

On 01/13/2013 10:42 AM, Ray wrote:
When I try to call up http://www.kicad-pcb.org, all I get is a "System
Error". Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Ray, W4BYG

On 1/12/2013 11:51 AM, Gordon wrote:
On 12/01/2013 15:51, jerry massengale wrote:
What free stuff do most use? Sorry again.
Tried Design Spark, didn't like it. It might have improved but I found
the footprint editor primitive to say the least. I use Kicad which does
pretty much everything I want. The Kicad footprint editor isn't
fantastic but it's adequate. http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/kicad/ and
it's free:) You probably won't find all the footprints/symbols you want
in any package but personally, despite the amount of time it takes I
prefer to do my own. You probably won't need *that* many and at least
you'll know whether they've been marked up for insertion or not and that
they're the right size. Any time I screw a board up it's almost always
down to using someone else's footprint/symbol marked up with pin names
instead of numbers.

FWIW

Gordon