Re: RF Connectors / Looking for N f-m adapter

Miroslav Pokorni

There are several right angle N adapters in catalogs, but did not find any
straight one. Fact that there are no N straight adapters listed, does not
say anything, straight SMA adapters do not appear in any catalog either, but
I own few of them, so someone must be making them.

Amphenol has two adapters listed in 1998 catalog, P/N 82-64 and 82-213;
watch out that you do not end up with 82-64-RFX, it looks like 82-213. I am
sure, you know that RFX series is Amphenol's low cost series, specified to 4
GHz.

Kings has several part numbers for right angle: UG-27C/U, UG-27D/U and
1209-10.

I did not see any specs on reflection, Amphenol or Kings, possibly that can
be found on the company web site. Right angle would have more reflection
than straight one, but I have seen some pretty damn good reflection specs
for BNC and SMA right angle connectors and adapters, so it can be done.
Number that I remember for reflection of SMA was around 1.05.

Those adapters are much more critical for SMA series, because you have to
torque cable connector if avoiding reflection at connector is important and
that torqueing puts a strain on connector body so they brake after awhile. I
guess, that must be the reason why there are 'field replaceable SMA
connector bodies', which are just a connector body with flange and Teflon
insulation, while center receptacle is retained; those replacements are also
made for hermetically sealed connectors, so there must be a demand.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni