Re: Tektronix TDR 1503 Question?

ehsjr

On 12/24/2012 10:26 AM, Richard Solomon wrote:
You cannot operate the 1503 or the 1502 without a good battery pack
installed.

But, you can fool it into thinking that a battery is installed.

There's a workaround for the no battery/dead battery problem
that applies to the 1503 - it would probably work for the 1502.
See message 8139 in the archive for details - essentially,
place a 2200uf cap and a 200 ohm 10 watt resistor in parallel
across the battery terminals with no battery installed.
Plug in the ac cord, wait a few seconds for the cap to charge,
and the TDR works.

Copied from one of my files. It does work on the 1502.

73 es HH, Dick, W1KSZ
You need to get the polarity correct on the cap.
On my 1503, the positive banana plug is on the side
of the 1503 that houses the chart recorder. I used
a scope to determine the correct polarity - I would
recommend that the correct polarity be determined
that way rather than assuming all 1502 & 1503's have the
plus on the chart recorder side.

Ed