Re: Type 519 Gigahertz scope; Smithsonian?

Ashton Brown <ashton@...>

Heh..

Well, I think.. I have an idea of scoper's ID.. Or somebody else is practising advanced Fatherland Security pastimes :-�

Yup, in borrowed "mess dress" uniform + "In This Style 10/6";
'twas a gala with Nobelists galore. Small anecdote re Glenn Seaborg (discoverer of many trans-Uranics + much more, incl. Govt honcho status. Al Ghiorso remains the King of transuranics fabrication, however).

Feeling somewhat attuned to the idea of dismantling a [certain Other] warfare adventure du that jour.. I opined over the champagne ~
"Ja, Ich bin vom milit�rischen industriellen Komplex. Ve haf decided zat diese 'Heavy Ions' can make fine new weapons fir eine Blitzkrieg.."
Reply ~ "Yes, and you're only a little crazy" (with a bit of a twinkle).

{sigh} In that regard and the timing of this little snapshot's appearance here: deja vu all over again. Nostalgia AIN'T what it used to be :(

Ashton

PS
Let me put it this way, re a recent NPR commentator (author) about the fact that "'stupidity' can reside quite nicely within the demonstrably 'intelligent'":
when ya gotta yell at a er Nobelist about NOT putting hot targets in the (personnel) "beam shack" .. you know that the species is In Trouble.

Fred Olsen wrote:

scoper796 wrote:

Would you be this Ashton Brown?
http://george.lbl.gov/ImgLib/COLLECTIONS/BERKELEY-LAB/PEOPLE/INDIVIDUALS/index/97502093.html
No wonder the SI is (or isn't) interested!
Now THAT'S a picture! ;<) Nevertheless, he was surely in distinguished company at LBNL.
http://imglib.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/ImgLib/displaytag/BERKELEY-LAB/ACCELERATORS/BEVALAC/tags/97502283?both

I've come to the conclusion that there's quite an interesting group on this list; myself excluded, of course.

Fred

<><
--
Outgoing checked by Norton AV