Re: Improving the accuracy of TM500 Counter/Timer plugins

Paul Amaranth

This one was mentioned on the timenuts list the other day, I ended up ordering
a couple to play with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10MHz-OCXO-DIP-Micro-Crystal-x1pc-5x10E-11-Oven-Oscillator-OCVCXO-GPSDO-/310380778466?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item484422d3e2

Pretty impressive specs for $25. And you could discipline it if you're
picky.

No affiliation, yadda yadda

Paul

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:21:59PM -0700, Dennis Tillman wrote:
Tek made quite a few different DC5xx counter / timers. They all suffer to
one degree or another from what would be considered by today's standards to
be poor quality crystal oscillators (XOs). A few models had optional
upgrades to "higher" quality XOs or even Oven Controlled Crystal Oscillators
(OCXOs). By today's standards even those higher quality XOs are not so
great. Some of those higher quality oscillators were available as a field
modification kit but I have never found one. These field kits probably
wouldn't be worth it now that even better crystal oscillators are available
today for very little money

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to improve their DC5xx counter /
timer plugins with better crystals or off the shelf OCXOs.

Dennis
--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
paul@... | Unix & Windows