From: David
To: TekScopes@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 2430 spare CCD

CCD stands for Charge Coupled Device. In this case it acts like a
digital FIFO (first in first out) but for analog signals.

In your oscilloscope, the input signal goes through the coupling,
attenuator, and amplifier circuits, splits off into the trigger
circuits, goes through the peak detectors and CCD drivers, and into
the CCDs which in total capture an acquisition record of about 1000
points at a maximum sample rate of 250 MSamples/sec. After the
acquisition, the contents stored in the CCDs are read out slowly into
the A/D converter and stored into memory.

Any of the service manuals for the oscilloscopes in the 2430A series
have a detailed theory section discussion how everything works.