Re: Copyright

Miroslav Pokorni <mpokorni@...>

Stan,

You seem to start with premise that a spray can is a highest class of
hazardous article, severely restricted in shipping, no matter what it is. I
am sure that if you walk up to counter at your local post office an ignorant
clerk might tell you 'no, it can not be shipped', because he thinks it is
better 'to be safe than sorry'. However, if you look at the postal
regulation at http://new.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf
<http://new.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf> page 125, you will see
aerosols listed as restricted to ground shipment, whether they are flammable
or not (one is class 2A other 2B); on the same web site, page 195 lists
paints and also shows ground transport as a way to ship. To boot it, Post
Office requires that aerosols are labeled as 'Consumer Goods'. For spray
cans propellant is most likely a determining factor (flammable or not) and
if you have doubts, that same web site gives you way to get a ruling on what
is acceptable. Where I work we get all sorts of spray can packaged things,
from benign to nasty flammables and you can trust me, no one from here trots
to manufacturer's plant to take delivery, neither we pay $22 Hazardous Fee
nor $75 for Hazardous Material Packaging. I would say that this exorbitant
fees are paid when you sheep explosives; this things have to be shipped,
too.

It appears that DOT's concern is mostly with what gets into air transport
and post office takes parcel post (non-first class, non-priority) as ground
transportation.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni