From: Phil (VA3UX) [mailto:phil@vaxxine.com]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 7:46 PM
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TekScopes] Re: copyrights & CDROMs

I'd be very careful about starting a campaign with Tek about
the vintage
manual situation. I suggest we "let sleeping dogs lie".
We've already been
given a preview of the answer such a request is likely to
bring : one
retired employee has never received permission and another
retired employee
was purportedly told " don't ask questions that you won't
like the answers
to". That last statement - if it's true an accurate - has
the answer we're
all looking for anyway but it's cleverly cloaked.

A petition is likely to attract the kind of attention that
will have the
effect opposite to the intended goal. In today's high tech
paranoia-driven
organizations, I can easily conceive a Vice President of
Historical
Relations and Vintage Affairs looking at this and thinking,
" my gawd !
There's 200 names on this letter. This must just be the tip
of the iceburg.
There must really be thousands of potential customers for
new products that
are being held captive by our older products. We'll stop
this menace right
now. We'll issue a letter informing that we intend to
prosecute copyright
infringement to full extent of the law, no matter how old
the
product. We'll force them out of the 60's and 70's and into
the year
2001". And then where would we be ? Worse-off than we are
right now where
little if any attention is being paid to the miniscule
market for copied
old manuals.

My advice : drop the issue and carry on as we have been.

Phil

At 12:13 PM 9/17/2001 -0700, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>The letters that Stan mentioned and I understand that he
meant mass mailing,
>would be very effective. If letters came from people who
still work and on
>company letterhead, Tektronix might get an idea how their
scheming is
>received by potential customers. I do not think that Stan
and Dean should be
>asked to sign a 'collective letter'; they still know lot of
people at
>Tektronix and no strain should be put on those
relationships. Besides, in
>Tektronix's mind our group, as collectors, is of no
consequence, they are