Re: copyrights & CDROMs

Phil (VA3UX) <phil@...>

I'd be very careful about starting a campaign with Tek about the vintage manual situation. I suggest we "let sleeping dogs lie". We've already been given a preview of the answer such a request is likely to bring : one retired employee has never received permission and another retired employee was purportedly told " don't ask questions that you won't like the answers to". That last statement - if it's true an accurate - has the answer we're all looking for anyway but it's cleverly cloaked.

A petition is likely to attract the kind of attention that will have the effect opposite to the intended goal. In today's high tech paranoia-driven organizations, I can easily conceive a Vice President of Historical Relations and Vintage Affairs looking at this and thinking, " my gawd ! There's 200 names on this letter. This must just be the tip of the iceburg. There must really be thousands of potential customers for new products that are being held captive by our older products. We'll stop this menace right now. We'll issue a letter informing that we intend to prosecute copyright infringement to full extent of the law, no matter how old the product. We'll force them out of the 60's and 70's and into the year 2001". And then where would we be ? Worse-off than we are right now where little if any attention is being paid to the miniscule market for copied old manuals.

My advice : drop the issue and carry on as we have been.

Phil

At 12:13 PM 9/17/2001 -0700, you wrote:
<snip>

The letters that Stan mentioned and I understand that he meant mass mailing,
would be very effective. If letters came from people who still work and on
company letterhead, Tektronix might get an idea how their scheming is
received by potential customers. I do not think that Stan and Dean should be
asked to sign a 'collective letter'; they still know lot of people at
Tektronix and no strain should be put on those relationships. Besides, in
Tektronix's mind our group, as collectors, is of no consequence, they are
looking at people who would buy new equipment.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni