Re: Tek 213 Battery connector

tss_steve_990

Larry asked:

What color wires? Also, can you get a Pxxx number from the board?
I'm not opening up my 213. It's decided to work and I don't want to
tempt fate :-)

Steve responds:

I wouldn’t dream of asking you to open that thing up if it’s already together and working.

The CRT Socket stuff is as follows:

CRT socket Pin 1 (White/Brown) > Pin 1 (Arrow [> of 2-position Female 0.025” socket.

CRT socket Pin 2 (White/Red) > Pin 2 of 2-position female 0.025” socket.

The above twisted pair appears to me to want to be connected to a 3-pin header on the bottom PCB.  The header is located at the center rear of the bottom PCB.  Unfortunately, it is not labeled with silkscreen and it has no > arrow mark to match up the female socket. Pins 1 and 3 of the header are connected to GND and Pin 2 has a trace that runs along the rear of the PCB on the bottom (solder side) and goes to a male 0.025” square pin that leads to the side PCBs.   I am guessing that this is the main vertical drive to the CRT grid, but I may be way off.

Thje bottom PCB is silk screened “Danger 1200 Volts” and the header is right next to the last 0 of “1200”.  Obviously, if I had the manual I could locate it myself, but I appreciate your being my eyes until I can confirm that this unit is indeed repairable at all.

There is a hole in the middle of the unit for the 2 D-Cells. Is there some kind of plastic holder? Or are the batteries just shrink-wrapped together into a 2-cell pack with wires exiting one end.  It looks to me from examining the bottom pcb that the pack has wires that exit from the bottom of the battery pack, are routed from the battery pack across the bottom PCB and are then routed up the side and are plugged into the 3-pin male right-angle header on the side which we discussed earlier.  Are there three wires used from battery to PCB or only 2?

It also appears that when assembling the unit, the bottom PCB may be screwed down to the bottom outer case first and them the rest of the unit plugged into the bottom PCB.  That’s not how I found this unit but it makes more mechanical sense than the how I found it.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Steve