From: Craig Sawyers [mailto:c.sawyers@tech-enterprise.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:38 PM
To: TekScopes@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TekScopes] "Tek scope Jan1971 issue

It is
possible that same requirement led to use of this stiff material for cable
coating that you are talking about.
What you need is cable specified as "TRS" grade, standing for "Tough Rubber
Sheathed". It is great stuff, black and really flexible - coils nicely for
storage. Much better for older gear than PVC sheathing which is really
stiff.

Other possibilities are heat resisting cable, used for things like domestic
irons which also need high flexibility; this is silicone rubber sheathed,
and again a whole lot nicer than PVC.

All of this is more expensive (2 or 3 times) than PVC of course - but the
difference doesn't break the bank in the sort of quantities that we all use.

The older cables seemed to use quite a lot of string filler between the
cores, which allowed the individual cores to slide over one another inside
and relative to the outer sheath. Modern cables don't seem to do this any
more - probably a cost thing, like using PVC insulation - but increasing the
cable stiffness.

Craig

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: