Re: Oscilloscope wash

dnmeeks

After reading about the Tek bath process, I decided to try out a modified method. I had about 50 of the TM500 series plugins, and about half of them needed a bath. So I used a diluted pine-sol cleaner in warm water, a soft bristled paint brush, and I inverted each module so that it was facing down, to minimize cleaner running inside the unit.

Holding it over a pan full of the cleaner, I simply brushed / scrubbed the front panel with the soapy brush, then did the same with clean water.

To dry, I put them in a very low oven, like 150F, for an hour or so.

I think that’s a safe way to clean the front panel at least.

Dan

From: TekScopes@... [mailto:TekScopes@...] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:02 PM
To: TekScopes@...
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: Oscilloscope wash

My one washing experience according to the ServiceScope recipe ended in near disaster.

If internal cleaning is _functionally_ necessary, I strongly recommend doubling or tripling the recommended drying time, liberal use of compressed air, and perhaps also shielding pots and controls in plastic.

If it is only for cosmetics I suggest thinking twice about whether a careful surface detailing would get you there.

Obviously a minority opinion here, but at least think about it.

Mike

--- In TekScopes@..., Gala Dragos wrote:
>
> I have a Tekronix 465 oscilloscope that screams for a bath. It is very dirty, so dirty it sticks to your fingers. I was wondering if washing it would do some damage. I intend to actually immerse it in water and detergent.
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> . Microsoft broke the Volkswagen world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
>
>
> . It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it.
> -Vince Lombardi
>
>
> . Everybody can learn how to make kids, but not everyone can raise them right!
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________________
> Be a PS3 game guru.
> Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games.
> http://videogames.yahoo.com/platform?platform=120121
>

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.