been shorted, but that was OK too. So far it looks like mostly
semiconductors, plus some collateral damage.

Paul

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:27:27PM -0500, Tom Miller wrote:
Be sure to check C-259. If the choke failed, I would think the cap shorted. It's a 2.2 uF. If it shorted, the Q will be toast.
I also could not find the VR reference in the parts list but would agree with you as it being a 9.1 volt 1 watt zener.

Tom

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Amaranth
To: TekScopes@...
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:56 PM
Subject: [TekScopes] 5103 Mainframe HV PS help

I'm trying to repair the HV section on my 5103n and I've run
into a bit of a problem.

The power transistor had shorted out and took out a few other
components. I crossed the 151-0256-00 to an NTE-94 which
seems to be an identical match from the data sheets.

However, I also have a couple of shorted diodes. One, a
152-0141-02 crosses to a 1n4152, so that's fine. The
other one is a bit of a puzzle. From the schematic it
looks like a 9.1V zener and is called out as VR258.

In the scan of the manual I have, I do not have any
listings for VR numbers. After all of the transistors,
there are a few resistors and that's it.

There's no readable marking on the part.

Anyone have a clue what the part number is?

This is for sn <= SN119999 from a 5110 manual.

Failing any other leads, I'll just try a 1w 9.1v zener.

Also, anyone have a source for a 74uH axial choke? The one
in the PS failed open.

thanks
--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA