Re: Audiophile "spam"

kiyoinc@...

** Reply to note from <stevehogan@soundsteward.com> 25 Nov 2003 22:45:20 -0000

There are lots of viewpoints and similar to the audiophile slamming,
I've detected a reverse prejudice in the Ham Radio circles.

It's the belief that a modern, computerized, digital signal processing,
radio has a profound advantage over a 30/40 year old boat anchor.

In this case, the belief can be substantiated using state of the art
test equipment to compare the specifications. Modern radios have fully
agile IF filters, noise rejection, notch filters, and tricks that were
only appoximated using analog devices.

On another list, someone pointed out that a good analyzer would show
the unevenness of the old 6 pole crystal filters compare to the
square IF filter in a modern radio.

Then there's VFO accuracy and tightness of the AGC etc.

All true but the problem is that in real world usage, multi-skip
propagation, atmospheric noise, and so on, you can't hear the advantage
of the modern radio.

If you need a ten thousand dollar piece of equipment to show you the
difference, then you'll never hear it in an on-the-air trial.

Similar conflict of beliefs, old vice new.

== But ==

Here's the question for the list. Anyone have an 8072 tube, socket,
and heat sink? I believe these were used in land mobile radios. I
need a set up for a radio restoration.

Just so no one gets in a tizzy about being off-topic, Yes, I used my
TDS-210 and my 2215 to repair this radio. These worked quite nicely as
I was able to: 1) compare the waveforms produced by the two analog
VFO's and 2) get an approximation of the frequency.

As I dig deeper into the high power RF section, I'll depend more on the
2215 and less on the TDS-210.