Re: Audiophile "spam"

Stan & Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Hi Steve,

You are right, of course, we should not waste our time by poking fun at
another group here on the TekScopes reflector. Also, you are right that I
am somewhat old (64) and deaf and can't really appreciate good sound when it
is sent my direction. I certainly agree that there are nuances in sound
that I will never appreciate but others will. If my old black beauty caps
helps them appreciate audio, then I am glad to provide them. For most scope
guys, these caps a junk, but to the audiophiles I sold them to, they are
things of beauty and, for all I know, they do exactly what the buyers want
them to do. For me, it turns some garbage into a little cash I can use to
fix another scope and, if the buyer is happy, then I am happy. One of the
points I wanted to make was that what sometimes appears to be junk to one,
is treasure to another and black beauty caps are good examples. Instead of
just tossing them in the landfill, I suggest we recover some money from them
and make an audiophile or two happy at the same time. No insult intended .
. .

When an audiophile scraps a perfectly good 545A to recover the 6DJ8's and
12AX7's for his audio projects, that only tells me that he values the pieces
more than the whole and its HIS 545A, so he is entitled to do what he wants
with it. I have a friend who brings me de-tubed scopes all the time that I
either retube with unpopular brands of tubes or scrap for other valuable
parts. He WAS taking them to the landfill . . .

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com