Re: Recommend for a young student

sbirdasn <sbirdasn@...>

My recommendations:

*Any* Tek 100 MHz or better analog scope is a fine way to go, and will be good enough for most hobbyist R&D, including dabbling in microprocessor based projects. I consider dual sweep to be a must-have feature for any scope.

Old school, I'd say 465B.

Any 223x scope is good, but I recommend 2235/6 in the A versions since they have trigger filtering added over the earlier non-A models (or get the Military version - 2235 AN/USM-488).

If you can swing it, the 2232 is a great 100 MHz Analog/DSO. Fully analog with usable DSO functionality to rated bandwidth (100 MHz sampling & 10 nS glitch capture). The on-screen annotations are a nice confidence builder. Even without the communications card, the DSO makes digicam pictures for school lab book notes a snap.

But my all-time favorite is the 2236A. I love that scope! The integrated CTM/DMM is really great. Counter functions to full rated bandwidth. If you can trigger it, you can measure it. And the CH1 voltage functions along with side panel DMM is a real bench space saver, and very handy.

All controls are on the front panel- nothing hidden, no menus, all in plain view. Push a button or two and you go from say frequency, to volts, to Ohms, then back to timing functions with ease. The 5000-count DMM has 0.01 Ohm resolution, so tracking down shorts is on par with a good (Fluke) 4-1/2 digit DMM costing $100's itself. All in the space of a single bench instrument.

Not to preclude having a hand-held/bench DMM as a basic electronics bench requirement. But now you can use the DMM for current, while monitoring voltage with the scope and seeing the ripple too.

I think the 2236/A is probably the most capable 100 MHz scope Tektronix made until the 224x series finally arrived. For its bandwidth/price, I think it can hold its own against the lab grade scopes like the 2445/65's feature for feature even when loaded with options.

All of the above being said, I've spent more on my probes than I did for my scopes. ;) But then, I'm picky. I insist on waveform fidelity along with good scope probe goodies that lower the frustration/hassle factor. Take good care of them, they'll last a very long time.

Comments invited.

Sbirdasn.