Re: Recommend for a young student

Paul Amaranth

I'd agree with Bernice with the caveat that i prefer my 465/DM40 over
a 7904 w onscreen readouts when using the delayed sweep function. It's
just easier (for me) to read the LED display on the DM40.

You can also find them dirt cheap. I paid $50 for mine with a couple of
dead filter caps. That scope was my best deal ever.

With the mainframe, you can always find a curve tracer plugin, that's great
for learning about semiconductors. Being able to swap out the plugins is
handy too. But, after you collect a bunch of plugins, you probably could
have bought a digital scope with the money you spent. I have around $400
into my (free) 7904, between repair items and plugins.

I also have a 453 that I still use on my bench. I like the feel of the
controls too much to part with it.

On the other side of the spectrum, last week I saw a TDS460A from ChipXS (Tek ebay
surplus) go for $510.

Choices, choices ...

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 09:32:08AM -0800, Bernice Loui wrote:

Of the 400 series Tek portables, my all time favorite is the 475, not that 475A. Next would be the 465 these were the industry work-horse portable that were used everywhere and well proven.

Or a 7603, 7704A if real estate allows.

IMO, it is better to get a less automated scope as a learning tool as it tends to help understand waveform measurement basics. There is much that can be seen real time and these observations skills seems to be lost with many of the newer digital/measurement automated scopes.

Get good probes, cheap ones are awful.

100 Mhz is plenty for most work, but it really depends on what you are working on.

Newer is not always better. Those older Tek scopes were well built, designed to be repaired and functions very well indeed.

Bernice

--
Paul Amaranth, GCIH | Rochester MI, USA
paul@... | Unix & Windows