Re: Don't let this happen to You!

ebrucehunter

At the risk of drifting off topic I am reminded that earlier Simpson 260-series multimeters had 5 kV ac and dc ranges accessible by moving the high lead to a separate jack.  But in later models this was replaced with a 1000V range.  I am guessing the rather compact 5kV multiplier resistor may have arced-over destroying the meter in cases where measurements were being made on transmitters or medium voltage power circuits.  It would not take much contamination -- possibly even a fingerprint -- to cause a physically small resistor to arc across.
Bruce