RM503 Problems

doug_jackson@...

Hi,

I have a frustrating fault with a RM503 CRO.

The CRO is in *really nice* condition, so I would like to restore it to a
working state.

My problem is that the Power supply levels are all extremely low. From
memory, the +12V rail is at about 2V, the 250V rail is at about 30V, the
+/- 150V rails are also low at +/- 15V. So, proportionally, they are
correct in relation to each other.

The 500V input to the PSU is spot on.

I have obtained a copy of the service manual, which has helped
considerably. I have tried replacing all of the PSU valves (6DQ6A, 6BL8,
5642, 5651A), as they all looked quite sad, and I had an easily available
tube source. This has not proven to be effective. I have also verified
that all of the resistors are well within tolerance. I have verified that
none of the rectifiers are S/C, and they all drop 0.7V when in operation.

Unfortunately, I am running out of ideas, and am concerned that the
transformer may be at fault.

My questions to the group are;

1) Has anybody dealt with similar faults?
2) How likely is it that the transformer has developed a fault. Where
could I obtain a replacement?
3) Can somebody shed some light on what the normal operating frequency of
the Oscillator would be?
3) Have I missed anything?

I will openly admit that I am of the age where my world is largely
silicon, and that the only valves I have played with before were
transmitting valves.

regards

Doug Jackson
National Manager - Managed Services (ACT)
Citadel Securix Pty Ltd

Level 1, 10 Moore St
Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: (612) 6290 9011
Fx: (612) 6262 6152
Mob: 0414 986 878

Web: www.citadel.com.au
Melbourne - Sydney - Canberra - Brisbane - Hong Kong - Atlanta

Any pricing or time figures contained within this email are indicative
only, and have been provided for planning purposes only. Please request a
quotation from your sales representative prior to undertaking any work.

CAUTION - The information in this message may be of a privileged or confidential nature intended only for the use of the addressee or someone authorised to receive the addressee's e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster@citadel.com.au. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Citadel Securix.
Feel free to visit the Citadel Securix website! Click below.
http://www.citadel.com.au