Re: Request - information on how to diagnose a dying 547/545B HV ...

John Sykes

Re Chuck's observations on removing the old brown compound:

I'm no chemist, but I was taught that plastics fell into two broad groups: quoting from Wikipedia

 " thermoplastics and thermosetting polymers.

Thermoplastics will soften and melt if enough heat is applied; examples are polyethylene, polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)[4].

Thermosets can melt and take shape once; after they have solidified, they stay solid."

I thought the generic class known as epoxies fell into the thermoset category?

John

-