Tek Serial Number Scheme

tss_steve_990

Deane Kidd has kindly supplied the following understanding of the
Beaverton Serial numbering scheme.

On Any Given Model of Scope:

The first Letter "B" stands for Manufactured at Beaverton Plant
The next two digits are the Bill of Materials for that scope model
The next 4 digits are the actual serial number of that scope

Thus an introductory model B010100 is serial number 100 built from
the first production BOM

B02xxxx is the first revision after BOM B01xxxx
B25xxxx uses bill of materials #25 etc.

No guesses as to the scopes made in Holland except that the first
number is 7.

This concludes my quest for understanding Tek Serial Numbers unless
someone has some insight into the Dutch numbering scheme.

Some of you have rightly questioned whether the S/N (i.e. date of
manufacture) is really that important relative to the present
condition of the scope. Obviously a perfect condition earlier unit is
better than a later unit that has much more "mileage" on it. I am
using the S/N as only one data point in selecting a used scope.
Given the Tektronix philosophy during the period when the scopes I am
considering were built, I am making the assumption (perhaps not
correct in all cases) that the later models had fixes and
improvements over earlier models. And a perfect condition 20 year
old scope might have more life left in it than a perfect condition 30
year old scope of the same model. I have just now becoming aware
(with the help of many of you who have responded to my inquiries) of
the wide variety of choices available in the Tek line, including the
9000 series, which I really didn't know much about. Remember my only
scope is a 535 with a CA plug-in, used mainly to heat the garage in
the winter.
Thanks to this group I have met many of you who know Tek equipment
far better than I do. I have learned about the DSESR meter to locate
failing caps in vintage gear. I have gotten a lot from you all.

Thanks,

Steve Hogan