Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:32 AM
Subject: [TekScopes] SC503 HV, long message

Hi,

An SC503 I recently bought did not power up and the +33V fuse was blown. After replacing 2 transistors and a shorted tantalum in the +5V regulator, the LVPS is good and powers up. I replaced Q7031 and Q7032 in the HV oscillator circuit and cleared a short on the +33V load. I installed a 1amp fast blow fuse and found that with the power switch in the STBY position I had no voltage on the collector of Q7031. I quickly found that continuity was intermittent from +33V to Q7031 collector, I found a damaged pad where T7041 is mounted, repaired with a solid jumper and found good voltage at Q7031-C. Turned power switch to CH1 and found 1amp fuse blown. No voltage at Q7031-C, 0.65V at Q7031-B, U6021-6 at -10.5V, .4885V at U6021-2 and .0003V at U6021-3. The negative output turns Q6031 on, causing the .65V to turn on Q7031. I grounded U6021-2 to see if pin 6 would go positive. I found that grounding U6021-2 does not cause U6021-6 to change. Is grounding pin 2 enough? The book says pin 2 should be near zero during normal operation. This causes me to wonder where the negative comes from to counter the +12V and +110V. I checked the HV ADJ line and found it zero. What should the HV ADJ line normally be?

jerry