From: "jbarnes" <jbarnes@...>
To: "TekScopes" <TekScopes@...>; "Craig Sawyers"
<c.sawyers@...>; "Miroslav Pokorni" <mpokorni2000@...>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Re: Oil Filled Capacitors

Hi,
I am not really a high voltage power supply !!

I am a high voltage power supply engineer. I work for CPI designing power
supplies for Medical X-ray generators. These are up to 100kW, 150kV and
1000mA.
Some of my work can be seen at www.cpii.com/cmp
These incidently use resonant technology.

I learned about the corona effects from a company called ASC. This company
was TRW. They make and have made many custom capacitors for HP, Tek, Varian,
Fluke etc. They are generally white wrap and fill construction.

They explained the corona effects in capacitors to me. They have an
application note at:

http://www.ascapacitor.com/PDF/corona%20phenomena.pdf

Wima built their capacitors with two sections in series to help with the
self-healing properties. When one of the sections arcs the other still
presents impedance.

ASC has built some snubber capacitors for me that have four sections in
series to obtain an a.c. rating of 800 v rms. The dc. rating of these was
1600 v.

As someone pointed out the corona arises because the electric field is not
uniform in the area of a void or mismatched dielectric constants.

These comments on capacitors also apply to high voltage transformers. This
why vacumn impregnating is used.

I have done some work with solid dielectric materials, potting, matching
the dielectrics and preventing voids is quite a challenge.

Regards,

John Barnes

P.S. just got home from the Rochester Hamfest with a pile of 7K plugins to
work on.

From: "Miroslav Pokorni" <mpokorni2000@...>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 02:42:39 -0700

I guess, it does not help, but then everything has a resonant frequency.
The
only way to cope with it, if you can not avoid operating at that
frequency,
is to make cap mechanically lossy so that Q factor is down in mud.

Possibly, this acoustical phenomena, together with high current through
cap,
made resonant power supplies pretty much disappear. The last one that I
have
seen was a Hewlett Packard unit that used a cap branded with their name,
what I guess was a custom cap.

There seems to be no such a thing as a simple component, there is only
the
simple demand.

Regards

Miroslav Pokorni