Re: 465 Display Help Needed - another thought

ashtonb@...

--- In TekScopes@y..., Kurt Graber <kurtg@s...> wrote:

billw101@a... wrote:

Hello, I have been pulling problems out of a 465 that I recently
acquired. The last remaining problem is the inability to get a
sharp
focus on the trace with any combination of intensity, focus or
astigmatism. I have checked everything in the CRT circuits with
the
exception of the high voltage, crt bias and cathode bias, until I
get
the use of an HV probe. Can anyone tell me if I am looking in the
right area or suggest any common failure modes? The low voltage
supplies all check good and noise free. Thanks for any help.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

A common problem or failure is the opening of the voltage divider
circuit
that the focus and astig tap into.
I am unfamilier with your particular scope but the chances are good
that one
of the resistors has opened up. I have seen many cases !!! you
don't
need a
HV probe , just take your meter and ohm them out. They will not
appear burned
but they have a tendancy to open up due to the high
voltage.......this will
cause an unsharp trace and many cases no trace at all (just a
haze)...Good
Luck
Another point: the 46x, 47x series just wasn't as sharp as the tube
scopes! or even and especially - the 454, 454A. Some engrs. think
the 454A best 150 MHz scope ever (2mV/DIV, all the delay triggering)
or sometimes ~ 200 MHz if all went well on that assembly..

I can see the clear difference bewtween say, a 475A and the 454As -
tiny wiggles just visible on 54-A disappear into the thick trace of
475 (or 465).

Just in case you're trying to do better than it Can!

Ashton