Re: Opinion on 'scope selection

druid_noibn

Hi Dave,
I used a 453 some years back - it was a really nice 'scope back then.  I could like acquire all of the items, but the lady of the house is not keen on that.

I'll have to run each of the units but I will look at the 2465A more closely - thank you.

The THS is rather nice looking - and appears to be working well (needs a battery)...and I can see a "need" for field work, although I haven't been out in the filed for some time.

Yes, the counters and multi-meters are attractive - don't have much experience using the integrated ones.

Will look the units over - Thank You.
John

On Friday, February 25, 2022, 11:06:39 AM EST, Dave Voorhis <voorhis@...> wrote:

Speaking as a collector, with a collection that started in 2016 with a 475 (I'm not counting a forgettable modern DSO) and has since grown to twenty oscilloscopes and curve tracers, I suggest attempting to obtain all of them. 😊

But assuming only one...

It depends on you, what you want do to with a 'scope, and what you're comfortable maintaining.

For easy repairability, totally manual operation and relatively low bandwidth (maximum 50mhz) I'd go with the 453.

For maximum bandwidth and some measurement capabilities, but perhaps more difficult repair, go with the 2465A. The 2445, 2465 and 2445B are essentially equivalent but lower bandwidth. The 2465A is 400mhz.

I know nothing about the THS730A. That's a newer, portable digital 'scope. Probably the most in-build automated capability, but perhaps most difficult to do-it-yourself repair if it needs it, and not everyone likes driving digital 'scopes.

The others kind of fall in between, I guess. The 2236 has a built-in counter and digital multimeter, which is nifty. The 2246 is analog with some measurement features. The 465B is like an updated 453.

Tough choice!